Follow Your Passion: Start a Great Career with a Degree in International Studies!
International Studies is the perfect degree for students interested in all aspects of a global education including culture, politics, history, economics, media, film, and many other aspects that weave together to form the fabric of society. A degree in International Studies is interdisciplinary, examining the world from many disciplines and perspectives. Similarly named degrees may include Global Studies, International Relations, and International or Global Affairs.
What can you do with an International Studies Degree?
A degree in International Studies prepares students for careers in a variety of fields, such as:
- Arts (Administration and Creative)
- Public Policy
Is an International Studies Degree hard?
No, earning a Degree in International Studies is not hard! This is an interesting degree that offers students a truly interdisciplinary field of study. Most International Studies Degree programs allow students the opportunity to specialize their studies so that students may focus their efforts on a particular passion or career field. A Degree in International Studies also lends itself to study abroad programs, affording students unique opportunities.
Getting a Degree in International Studies
Earning a degree in International Studies can be found as an Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral program. Certificate programs can also be found, although less common, yet are a wonderful educational asset to attain.
Certificate Programs in International Studies
A Certificate in International Studies can be a great introductory program to this field of study. Students can earn an undergraduate certificate as a standalone program or in conjunction with an Associate or Bachelor’s degree. A Certificate in International Studies can enhance career advancement and salary prospects and is also an excellent asset for those seeking to embark on a new career.
Jobs with a Certificate in International Studies
- Human Service Assistants – Provide services for clients, and specific populations of clients, in a variety of social service fields. Human Service Assistants may work for nonprofit organizations, for-profit social service agencies, and state and local governments. Median Annual Salary: $35,000.
- Law Enforcement – Police officers protect lives and property. Median Annual Salary: $67,000.
Associate Degree in International Studies
With a Degree in International Studies, students will acquire the skills to think critically, creatively, and independently about important international issues. Approaching education from the perspective of an International Studies program encourages students to become active and engaged citizens in a complex global world. An Associate Degree in International Studies is excellent preparation for a wide variety of entry-level careers, especially those that serve mixed cultural communities. An Associate Degree in International Studies also prepares students for further educational success should they choose to continue with baccalaureate studies.
Jobs with an Associate Degree in International Studies
- Teacher Assistant- Work with a licensed teacher to give students additional attention and instruction. May specialize in specific student populations given area(s) of expertise. Median Annual Salary: $29,000.
- Legal Assistant- Perform a variety of tasks to support lawyers. Median Annual Salary: $52,000.
- Customs Broker- Works to ensure client shipments meet the dozens of requirements enforced by US Customs and Border Control. Median Annual Salary: $76,000.
Bachelor’s Degree in International Studies
Students who have a passion for the social sciences will find a degree in International Studies particularly appealing. Students gain knowledge through a wide variety of courses including those in:
International Studies programs will address topics such as global poverty, international development, increased globalization, and the growing interdependencies between the United States and other countries across the globe. Upon graduation, students can choose to enter the workforce and/or pursue further education by earning a graduate degree.
Jobs with a Bachelor’s Degree in International Studies
- Legislator- An elected position responsible for the development, introduction, and/or enactment of laws and statutes at the local, state, tribal, or federal level. Median Annual Salary: $30,000.
- News Correspondent– Work for newspaper, website, or periodical publishers or in television or radio broadcasting and inform the public about news and events. Specifically, as it relates to and/or impacts international news. Median Annual Salary: $46,000.
- Public Relations Specialist- Create and maintain a favorable public image for the organization they represent. Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
Master’s Degree in International Studies
A graduate degree in International Studies will help students further build their analytical and critical thinking skills. Students will also further develop their research, communication, and writing skills. A Master’s Degree in International Studies is a popular choice for those seeking to become an expert in this field. A graduate degree is also a great choice for those choosing career paths such as writing or teaching.
Jobs with a Master’s Degree in International Studies
- Historian- Research, analyze, interpret, and write about the past by studying historical documents and sources. Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
- Postsecondary Teacher– Instruct students in International Studies courses beyond the high school level. Median Annual Salary: $80,000.
- Top Executive- Plan strategies and policies to ensure that an organization meets its goals. Median Annual Salary: $105,000.
- Public Relations Manager- Direct the creation of materials that will enhance the public image of their employer or client. Median Annual Salary: $118,000.
- Author- Develop written content for various types of media on international topics. Median Annual Salary: $122,000.
GI Bill-approved Schools Offering Degrees in International Studies
Ready to start your Degree in International Studies? Check out these great programs available at our partner schools:
Offers a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies. Virginia Tech is a GI Bill® approved school, offers credit for military experience, and awards credit for the CLEP and DSST exams. Virginia Tech is a Yellow Ribbon school and is approved for Tuition Assistance.
Offers a Bachelor of Science in International Studies. Stetson is a GI Bill-approved school, offers credit for military experience, and is approved for Tuition Assistance. Stetson is a Yellow Ribbon school and is also a MyCAA-approved school.
Offers a Bachelor of Arts in International Affairs. Biola University has GI Bill-approved programs, awards credit for the CLEP exam, offers credit for military experience, and is approved for Tuition Assistance. Biola University is a MyCAA-approved school and is also a Yellow Ribbon school.
Offers a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations. Kent State University at Kent has GI Bill-approved programs, offers credit for military experience, and awards credit for CLEP exams. Kent State University at Kent is a MyCAA-approved school and is approved for Tuition Assistance.
Offers a Bachelor of Arts in International Affairs. The University of Colorado Boulder has GI Bill-approved programs, offers credit for military experience, and awards credit for the CLEP. The University of Colorado Boulder is a Yellow Ribbon school, and is approved for Tuition Assistance, and the University of Colorado Boulder is a MyCAA-approved school.
*All statistics and calculations from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. For more information click here.