Pursuing a Degree in GermanEarning a Degree in German provides students with the components of a well-rounded education. Students will gain knowledge of the German language through conversation, composition, and grammar combined with the study of German culture and history.
What can you do with a German Degree?A Degree in German prepares students for careers in a variety of fields, such as:
- Arts (Administration and Creative)
- Public Policy
Is a German Degree hard?No, getting a Degree in German is not hard! Earning a Degree in German is a wonderful opportunity to explore many different fields of study including art, history, political science, women’s studies, and language acquisition. A Degree in German is not difficult and students may have the opportunity to utilize study abroad programs and take advantage of studying in Deutschland!
Certificate in GermanWith a Certificate in German, students will immerse themselves in language studies.
A Certificate is an excellent preparation for a wide variety of entry-level careers, especially those that serve mixed cultural communities. A Certificate in German also prepares students for further educational success should they choose to continue with baccalaureate studies.
Did You Know?
- German is the official language of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Liechtenstein. It is also the official language of parts of Italy, France, and Belgium.
- German is one of the official languages of the European Union
- German companies account for approximately 100 million US-based jobs
- Approximately 60 million Americans can trace their heritage to Germany, this is almost 1/5th of the total US population
Jobs with a Certificate in German
- Teacher Assistant – Work with a licensed teacher to give students additional attention and instruction. May specialize in specific student populations given area(s) of expertise. Median Annual Salary: $29,000.
- Translator – Convert information from one language into another language. Some work for translation and interpretation companies, individual organizations, or private clients. Many translators also work remotely. Median Annual Salary: $52,000.
Bachelor’s Degree in GermanStudents who have a passion for German culture and language will thrive in a Bachelor’s Degree program. Students will grow their knowledge and expertise on all things German while cultivating their language, writing, and research skills. Students will acquire the skills to think critically, creatively, and independently.
A Degree in German is interdisciplinary and may include courses such as:
- Women’s Studies
- Popular Culture
Jobs with a Bachelor’s Degree in German
- News Correspondent – Work for a newspaper, website, periodical publisher, or in television or radio broadcasting and inform the public about news and events. Specifically, as it relates to and/or impacts international and German news. Median Annual Salary: $46,000.
- Interpreter – Convert information from one language into another language. Interpreters work in settings such as schools, hospitals, courtrooms, meeting rooms, and conference centers. Some work for translation and interpretation companies, individual organizations, or private clients. Median Annual Salary: $52,000.
- Public Relations Specialist – Create and maintain a favorable public image for the organization they represent. Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
- Customs Broker – Works to ensure client shipments meet the dozens of requirements enforced by US Customs and Border Control. Median Annual Salary: $76,000.
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Troy University - TroyTroy, ALPartner School
Troy University is a public institution comprised of campuses throughout Alabama and worldwide. International in scope, TROY provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to include doctoral programs, for...
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
Emerson CollegeBoston, MAPartner School
Emerson College offers educational programs that prepare undergraduate and graduate students to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in communication and the arts, and to pursue scholarship and work that brings innovation to these disciplines.
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
Alamo Colleges DistrictSan Antonio, TXPartner School
The Alamo Colleges District provides support and advocacy for our military families through offices on Joint Base San Antonio and at our colleges through St. Philip’s College Military Support Services (MSS) Department and San...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
Master’s Degree in GermanA Master’s Degree in German will help students further build their German communication skills including speaking, reading, and writing. Students will also further develop their research and critical thinking skills.
A comprehensive German graduate program will encourage students to become active and engaged citizens in a complex global world. A Master’s is a popular choice for those choosing career paths such as research, writing, or teaching.
Jobs with a Master’s Degree in German
- Historian – Research, analyze, interpret, and write about the past by studying historical documents and sources. Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
- ESL (English as a Second Language) Teacher – Instruct adults in fundamental skills, such as reading and speaking English. They also help students earn their high school equivalency credential. Median Annual Salary: $55,000.
- Postsecondary Teacher – Instruct students in German courses beyond the high school level. Median Annual Salary: $80,000.
- Public Relations Manager – Direct the creation of materials that will enhance the public image of their employer or client. Median Annual Salary: $118,000.
Doctoral Degree in GermanFor students seeking the ultimate accolade in postsecondary education, a Doctor of Philosophy in German is available at select universities and colleges. PhD students are poised to become the foremost authority in their field with candidates focusing on their passions and specific area(s) of expertise in German language and culture.
Jobs with a Doctoral Degree in German
- Postsecondary Education Administrator – Oversee student services, academics, and faculty research at colleges and universities. Median Annual Salary: $98,000.
- Author – Develop written content for various types of media on international topics. Median Annual Salary: $122,000.