GI Bill payment rates are based on each school year. They will be sent from August 1st of one year to July 31st of the next.

GI Bill Housing Payment Dates

GI Bill housing payment dates usually occur at the beginning of each month. These are different than GI Bill payments which are sent directly to the school.

GI Bill housing payments are deposited into accounts at the beginning of each month but do not have exact dates and can vary. Sometimes there might be a delay in payments at first but should be consistent after the process starts.


GI Bill Tuition Payment Rates

All of these payment and maximum amounts below are for those eligible for the full time benefit, which is 100%. If you are not eligible for the 100%, your amounts will be prorated based on your eligibility percentage.

The Maximum Tuition and Fee Reimbursement differs based on the type of school that you attend. Here is the breakdown:

Public School

Pays for all tuition and fee payments for an in-state student.

Private or Foreign School

Pays up to $24,476.79 (updated for 2019) per academic year National Maximum.

You might be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program if you are attending a public IHL as a non-resident student or a private IHL that is more expensive than the annual cap.

You may qualify for in-state tuition rates if you live in the state where the school is located regardless of your formal state of residence.


Non-College Degree Granting Institutions

Actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees not to exceed $24,476.79 during the academic year.

For public, private or foreign schools, and non-college degree granting institutions, you might also be eligible to receive a monthly housing allowance sent to you, a books and supplies stipend sent to you, and a one-time rural benefit for certain veterans.

Apprenticeship and On-the-Job Training Rates

    • 1st 6-months of training: 100% of your applicable MHA.
    • 2nd 6-months of training: 80% of your applicable MHA.
    • 3rd 6-months of training: 60% of your applicable MHA.
    • 4th 6-months of training: 40% of your applicable MHA.
    • Remaining pursuit of training: 20% of your applicable MHA.

For an apprenticeship and on-the-job training, you may also be eligible to receive a books and supplies stipend sent to you.

  • Vocational Flight Schools: The actual net costs are not to exceed $13,526.81 per academic year. The cap applies to all classes and/or enrollments that begin during that academic year, regardless of the academic year in which the classes or enrollments are completed.
  • Correspondence Schools: The actual net costs are not to exceed $11,498.78 per academic year.
  • National Testing Programs/Licensing & Certification Tests: You can be reimbursed up to $2,000 per test. Your entitlement will be charged one month for every $1,972.66 paid to you rounded to the nearest non-zero whole month. This means even low-cost tests are charged one month of entitlement per test.

Monthly Housing Allowance

Your monthly allowance (MHA) is generally the same as the BAH Rates for an E-5 with dependents.

Your MHA is based on the zip code for your school, however, by the end of 2019, there should be changes and the MHA will be based on where the student attends the majority of their classes.

MHA rate increases based on BAH are effective August 1st of the new academic year.

If your MHA rates go up, you will see the difference the next academic year, not in January. If they go down, your MHA amount will not change unless you change schools or have more than a six month break in training.

MHA Rate Exceptions
  • Foreign School: $1,789 (updated for 2019)
  • Schools in US Territories: E-5 with dependents OHA Rate for school location
  • Exclusively Online Training (No Classroom Instruction): $894.50 (for 2019 academic year). This MHA rate is ½ the national average BAH rate. However, if a student attends one classroom session every two weeks and if the number of hours spent in the classroom each week basically equals the class’s number of credit hours, that class will count as classroom training. This would allow the student to receive the full housing allowance as they would only need to be taking one classroom class to qualify for it.

If you are attending classes at ½ time or less or are an active duty trainee (or transferee spouse of a service member,” MHA is not payable.

It is important to remember that you do need to be at over half-time status in order to receive any GI Bill Housing Payment benefit. If you are above half-time credit hours but below full-time you would receive a prorated amount.

Credit Hour Tiers
  • 12 semester or quarter hours is considered full-time.
  • 9-11 hours is considered three-quarter time.
  • 6-8 hours is considered half-time.
  • 4-5 credit hours is considered less than half-time.

In the case of 4-5 credit hour, you would be paid at the nearest 10% level.

e.g. if you took 7 credit hours, that would put you at 58%, and you would receive 60% of the MHA benefit. If you only took 6 units, that would be 50% and you would not qualify for the GI Bill Housing Benefit.

GI Bill Housing Payment Is Less Than I Thought

There could be a situation where the GI Bill Housing Payment is less than you thought it was supposed to be. The most common reason for this is because it was a prorated amount based on the amount of days in the month for which you were enrolled.

This typically applies when the term starts in August or in December.  This occurs because you would go to class for approximately half of the month.

Your check could also be off if an overpayment was deducted from your payment or you reduced your training time after you originally enrolled.

Books and Supplies Stipend

The yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000.00 is paid proportionately based on enrollment. You would receive $500 a semester, if you are enrolled full-time. If you are enrolled for less than full-time, you would receive a portion of that $1,000. You will be given the money at the beginning of the school year, which is different from GI Bill Housing Payments which are paid once a month.

Rural Benefit

There is a one time payment of $500 that may be payable to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas if they reside in a county with 6 persons or less per square mile, which is determined by the most recent decennial census and either physically relocate at least 500 miles to attend an educational institution or travel by air to physically attend an educational institution if no other land-based transportation exists

Prorated Eligibility Amounts Based On Time In Service:

Times of service must be at least:

  • 36 months: 100%
  • 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability: 100%
  • 30 months, but less than 36 months: 90%
  • 24 months, but less than 30 months: 80%
  • 18 months, but less than 24 months: 70%
  • 12 months, but less than 18 months: 60%
  • 6 months, but less than 12 months: 50%
  • 90 days, but less than 06 months: 40%

These rates are for those who served on active duty after 9/10/2001 with an honorable discharge. These numbers will change on August 1st, 2020 because of the Forever GI Bill.

Where Do GI Bill Payments Get Sent?

The school or institution will receive the tuition and fees. Those using the GI Bill benefit will receive the money for books and supplies, monthly housing allowance, and any one-time rural benefit.