Verify GI Bill Eligibility: A Checklist
Not all programs are created equal. You’ll want to make sure that your degree program is GI Bill eligible. Schools aren’t “GI Bill approved”, but degree programs must be. Make sure to verify that your degree program is GI Bill eligible.
Verify GI Bill Eligibility of Your Degree Program
There are a couple of key points to keep in mind as you check off this step.
1) Don’t be afraid to shift to your back-up plan.
2) Don’t commit to enroll until you have completed this checklist item!
Have Your Certificate of Eligibility From The VA
First, be sure that you have your certificate of eligibility from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs before you proceed.
- Learn how to complete your application for GI Bill eligibility.
- Learn why to have it completed before you enroll.
Confirm Your Degree Program is GI BIll Eligible
Now, you have a degree program that you might pursue. Then confirm that it is a VA-approved degree program for use with the GI Bill.
Here’s how to confirm that is a covered program:
- Ask the admissions advisor
- Confirm with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs (Online Institution and Program List)
Not verifying GI Bill eligibility by completing these tasks before enrolling can set you back. And most importantly could cost you valuable benefits.
If you have completed the previous items on your pre-launch checklist, you are ready to enroll and launch on your personal journey in education.
- Post 9/11 GI Bill Overview
- Going to College: Our 10-Step Guide
- Where Should You Go To School?: How To Decide
- Go Back To School?: How To Decide