Certificates, Degrees and Job Opportunities in Public AdministrationA degree in public administration can open doors to an exciting career with excellent pay. Public administration is an increasingly popular field of study that appeals to people interested in the wide reaching field of public service. This can include services provided at the local and state level, public health and safety, education, and local government.
Public Administration Degree Job OpportunitiesThere are a wide range of job opportunities from government jobs to those in the private sector, including non-profits. There are also opportunities for self-employment by starting your own business or working as a consultant. Job opportunities with a certificate or degree in public administration include:
- Administrative Assistant
- Program Analyst
- Benefits Administrator
- College Administrator
- Human Resources Administrator
- Public Administrator
- Administrative Services Manager
- City Manager
- City Planner
- Education Administrator
- Director Of Education
- Non-Profit Manager
- Government Office
Postsecondary Certificate in Public AdministrationA Postsecondary Certificate in Public Administration is a great starting point for those interested in starting down this career path. Certifications can offer students an opportunity to fast track their education and gain on-the-job knowledge through internships to complement their academics. Public administration jobs require a strong professional skill set to navigate and manage the complexities of local government and related positions.
Associate Degree in Public AdministrationStudents can earn an Associate Degree in Public Administration and learn the skills necessary to run an administrative staff or department. An associate degree in public administration will typically introduce students to the basics of financial accounting, human resources, organizational management, problem-solving, ethics, and budgeting.
Jobs you can obtain with an Associate Degree in Public Administration include:
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks– produce financial and other records for organizations and check financial records for accuracy. Median annual salary: $41,000.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public AdministrationStudents can earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration for career advancement, including supervisory positions as well as a significant pay increase. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employees with a bachelor’s degree earn twice as much than their counterparts without a postsecondary education. This equates to over $1.5 million more in earnings over the course of an average American’s lifetime!
Although programs vary, students typically learn about:
- Local government operations
- Public budgeting
- Fostering a positive working environment
- Maintaining a work culture of efficiency
- Public policy formulation, interactions, implications, and impacts
- Ethical leadership
- Management skills
- Principles of finance for profit and nonprofit operations
- Research-based public administration practices
- Identifying, analyzing, evaluating, and implementing effective administration
- Formulating new and expanded government and nonprofit programs
- Reevaluating and eliminating underperforming or obsolete programs
Jobs with a Bachelor’s in Public Administration
- Medical and Health Services Managers– plan, direct, and coordinate the business activities of healthcare providers. Median annual salary: $101,000.
- Human Resources Managers– make sure the administrative functions of the company or organization is running smoothly. They also help bridge the challenges and differences between management and employees. Median annual salary: $117,000.
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Troy University - TroyTroy, ALPartner School
Troy University is a public institution comprised of campuses throughout Alabama and worldwide. International in scope, TROY provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to include doctoral programs, for...
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
University of the WestRosemead, CAPartner School
Our students not only master a body of knowledge, but they also learn to understand, appreciate and function effectively in today's multicultural society. University of the West you will discover a learning community that combines...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
The College of Saint RoseAlbany, NYPartner School
The College of Saint Rose is 100% uncapped Yellow Ribbon School. Receive college credit for military training, including PE credit for basic training. We offer the Massry Veteran Scholarship. Saint Rose Accelerated Programs which allow you...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
Master’s Degree in Public Administration (MPA)According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employees with a graduate degree earn approximately 40% more than their counterparts with an associate degree. Those with a graduate degree will earn more than twice as much as those without a postsecondary education. This translates to an additional $2 million more in lifetime earnings for an average American.
Earning an MPA will help a student refine their leadership skills and communication skills. A graduate program in public administration can help students advance their administrative, managerial, or supervisory careers. Careers can span an array of opportunities in state, federal, and local government, as well as private and nonprofit organizations.
Earning an MPA is also an excellent option for undergraduate degree holders to advance their careers and salary in related fields such as legal studies, human services, emergency management, homeland security, and criminal justice.
>> Search VA-approved schools offering a Master’s in Public Administration. Go here.
Jobs with a Master’s in Public Administration
- Urban and Regional Planners– develop land use plans and programs that help create communities, accommodate population growth, and revitalize facilities. Median annual salary: $74,000.
- Postsecondary Education Administrators– oversee student services, academics, and faculty research at colleges and universities. Median annual salary: $122,000.
Doctorate in Public AdministrationEarning a doctoral degree in public administration takes approximately three additional years of schooling. This degree can be earned as a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) or as a DPA (Doctor of Public Administration). Both pathways are similar, and provide students with a strong foundation for teaching and research positions. Careers with a doctorate degree in public administration include college professors, research and publication, and senior leadership positions.
Jobs with a Doctorate in Public Administration
- Postsecondary Teachers– public administration teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research. Median annual salary: $102,000.
- Political Scientists– study the origin, development, and operation of political systems. Median annual salary: $122,000.
- Chief Executives– formulate policies and provide overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations. Plan, direct, and coordinate operational activities at the highest level of management. Median annual salary: $194,000.
Eastern Oregon University -Offers an online Bachelor in Public Administration. Eastern Oregon University is a Yellow Ribbon school.
American University - Offers an online Master in Public Administration and Policy. Post University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Post University - Offers an online Master in Public Administration (MPA). Post University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
University of Central Florida - Offers an online Certificate in Public Administration and an online Master’s in Public Administration (MPA). The University of Central Florida participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
*All statistics and calculations from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. For more information click here.