Are you a school administrator? Yes No x to close
Find Your School
Find VA-Approved Colleges For Military and Veterans

Secondary Education Major for Military and Veterans

Secondary Education Degree Major

A Secondary Education Degree allows students to teach grades 6 through 12 or middle school through high school. According to Drury University, at the secondary level, “Teachers are able to impact the academic experience of multiple rotating groups of high school students. They work throughout the day and focus on a single subject or content area. Working as an educator at this level requires passion, patience and a desire to shape adolescent minds.”

Secondary teachers , Drury U says, help students achieve their classroom potential. "They also guide them on their futures after high school. Their career paths can also be more flexible, allowing them to work in administrative and counseling roles.”

All states require a teaching certificate or license endorsing them as a secondary school teacher. Requirements vary from state to state and from school system to school system—what a public school requires, a private school may not.

Using the GI Bill and Tuition Assistance for a Secondary Education Degree

Are you interested in pursuing a Secondary Education Degree? The GI Bill, a military education benefit for service members in the Air Force, Space Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Army, and Coast Guard, covers tuition and fees, provides a monthly housing allowance for qualifying applicants, and offers additional money for books and supplies.

Learn more about the GI Bill.

Using Spouse Tuition Assistance (STAP) and MyCAA for a Secondary Education Degree

Spouse Tuition Assistance

When seeking a Secondary Education Degree, military spouse tuition assistance programs help military spouses (and sometimes dependent children) pay for their education, whether in the U.S. or elsewhere in the world.

All military branches once offered programs following Spouse Tuition Assistance (STAP) guidelines or created something similar. Today, individuals and organizations use STAP interchangeably to describe various offerings by military relief organizations, but the programs can differ.

STAP now refers to the education benefits offered by military aid societies, many of which the U.S. military branches and the federal government do not run.  Instead, they are private, nonprofit organizations, and what they provide varies.

These organizations include:
  • Army Emergency Relief
  • Air Force Aid Society
  • Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society
  • Coast Guard Foundation


The workforce development program MyCAA, formally known as the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship, provides financial assistance of up to $4,000 ($2,000 over two years) to eligible military spouses pursuing or maintaining a Science Teacher Degree, certification, or license.

As long as an individual meets the requirements, MyCAA will pay for spouses pursuing any occupation or career.

Careers With a Secondary Education Major

Once students earn a secondary education degree and license or certification to teach, they can attain many roles. They can teach in a public school, private school and teach any of the following subjects:
  • Math
  • History/Social Studies
  • Science
  • Art
  • Theater
  • Psychology
  • Economics
  • English,
  • Foreign languages
  • Physical education
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the average national annual salary for high school teachers is $65,220. Secondary education majors will need a Master’s Degree to move into other areas, including counseling, administration, and special education.

What To Expect From a Military-Friendly Secondary Education Degree Program

A Bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement to become a licensed teacher in the U.S. Students with this degree can teach general courses or specialize in subjects such as English, history, special education, or science.

They may also observe teachers as they work or assist them in an internship. Depending on the state’s licensing or certification program requirements, they may also engage in student teaching.

Select Yellow Ribbon Colleges with Secondary Education Degree Programs

  • Arizona State University: Arizona State University offers a Master’s Degree in Secondary Education and Teaching.
  • Upper Iowa University: Upper Iowa University offers a Master’s Degree in Education/Teaching of Individuals in Secondary Special Education Programs.
  •  Fort Hays State University: Fort Hays State University offers a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Secondary Education and Teaching.

Select Military-Friendly Colleges with Secondary Education Degree Programs

  • Le Moyne College: Le Moyne College offers Master’s degrees in Education/Teaching of Individuals in Junior High/Middle School Special Education In-Person, and a certificate and Master’s Degree and Certificate in Secondary Education and Teaching.
  • Canisius College: Canisius College offers a certificate, Bachelor’s, and Master’s Degree in Secondary Education and Teaching.
  • Marist College: Marist College offers a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Secondary Education and Teaching.
  • Tiffin University: Tiffin University offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Junior High/Intermediate/Middle School Education and Teaching.

Online Programs

Several schools, like Arizona State University and Oklahoma State University, offer online secondary education programs at all levels. However, some degree programs require students to participate in teaching assistantships and internships on campus or at another school. Check with the school of your choice to see their online offerings.

Certificates in Secondary Education

All states require students interested in teaching at the secondary level to have certification or a license for public school employment. Some private schools may also require certification, but it is not mandatory. For certification, students must complete a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited teacher-training program and pass a skills test. Depending on the state, teaching certificate or license renewal occurs every four to eight years.

Associate’s Degree in Secondary Education

An Associate’s Degree in Secondary Education gives students a pathway to a Bachelor’s Degree. They can’t teach until they have a Bachelor's, but they can take some entry-level jobs in education.

Your Future With an Associate’s Degree in Secondary Education

Bachelor’s Degree in Secondary Education

This Bachelor’s Degree prepares students to teach at secondary levels. Coursework consists of general education classes and fieldwork. A Bachelor’s Degree and certification are required to teach in public schools in all states.

Your Future with a Bachelor’s Degree in Secondary Education

Master’s Degree in Secondary Education

Undergrads and working professionals with Bachelor’s Degrees outside of education can attain a Secondary Education Master’s Degree. This one- to two-year program allows graduates to teach in their chosen content area and find work in administration, curriculum development, or policy-making.

Your Future with a Master’s Degree in Secondary Education

Doctoral Degrees in Secondary Education

A Doctoral Degree in Secondary Education focuses on advanced research and teaching at the university level. Students may be professionals who seek further knowledge of curriculum development, educational leadership and policy.

Your Future with a PhD in Secondary Education