Top Colleges for Veterans: Aeronautics & Aviation Degrees
Looking for a post-military career in aeronautics and aviation? Earn a great degree at a top ranked military friendly college with the Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees.
Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees
Professionals in aeronautics and aviation are always in high demand. This is one of the few career paths that has consistent job stability along with great pay and excellent benefits. This career path comes in a wide variety of jobs with opportunities in all 50 states and across the globe!
With all branches of the military having aviation components, many veterans will already have a great deal of experience and knowledge. For those on the aviation side of the armed services, a transition into a second career in aeronautics is an excellent fit. For those less familiar with these fields, an introduction into aviation and aeronautics is an excellent choice.
By definition aviation is the making and flying of aircraft while aeronautics studies the design, mathematics, construction, and other mechanics of aircraft (including all flight capable machines capable of operating in the Earth’s atmosphere). Many times, the terms are used interchangeably.
Popular Jobs in Aeronautics and Aviation
Technician responsible for aircraft repairs, preventative, and routine maintenance. Average Annual Salary: $50,000
Responsible for repairs, preventative and routine maintenance of aircraft electronics. Average Annual Salary: $50,000
Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisor
Supervises the ground crew in the loading, unloading, and staging of aircraft cargo. Average Annual Salary: $58,000
Airfield Operations Specialist
Ensures the safe takeoff and landing of commercial and military aircraft. Average Annual Salary: $58,000
Air Traffic Controller
Control air traffic on and within vicinity of airport and between control centers. Average Annual Salary: $ 120,000
Navigates the flight of aircraft for the transport of passengers and/or cargo. Average Annual Salary: $175,000
Distinguishing the Top Colleges for Aeronautics & Aviation Degrees
The Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees will offer one (and preferably more than one) of the following opportunities for military members and veterans to earn credit for knowledge, experience, and skills:
Military Credit Transfer: Military training, courses, and specialty schools can transfer to college credits. This can result in saving veterans valuable time and money. Approximately 1,700 colleges and universities provide a military college credit transfer for military experience. To get started, request a copy of your military Joint Services Transcript.
CLEP: CLEP stands for the College-Level Examination Program. Students can earn three (or more, depending on the school) credits for each exam. There are over 30 introductory-level college subject exams:
- Composition and Literature
- World Languages
- History and Social Sciences
- Science and Mathematics
DSST: DSST stands for DANTES Subject Standardized Tests. This is an opportunity for students to test for credit. There are six categories of exams you can take with DSST. They are in:
- Physical Science
- Social Sciences
Determining the Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees
The following features are common practices among the Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees
- Accreditation: The Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees will be regionally accredited or in some cases, depending on a student’s long term goals, nationally accredited.
- GI Bill Acceptance: The Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees will accept the GI Bill and follow the Principles of Excellence. This program requires schools that get federal funding (through programs such as the GI Bill) to follow certain guidelines, such as not participating in deceptive practices or aggressive recruiting. Even if a student is not utilizing their GI Bill, having these higher standards is beneficial, regardless.
- Additional Tuition Assistance: The Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees will take part in additional tuition assistance such as the Yellow Ribbon Program (which can help pay for school costs not covered by the GI Bill) and private scholarships specifically earmarked for military and veterans.
- Graduation Rates: The Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees will be transparent in their graduation rates. Typical graduation rates are around 50%. Even 30% is considered acceptable but lower than that should raise doubts.
- Job Placement: The Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees will have an excellent network to help students succeed in their chosen career after earning their degree. Effective job placement can be found in programs such as internships, apprenticeships, strong alumni connections, veteran/student help centers, etc.
Top Colleges for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees
CollegeRecon partner schools may be included in the list as well for promotional consideration.
East, West, and Online
With campuses in Florida and Arizona as well as a comprehensive Worldwide (online) campus, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is a leading hub for aerospace and aviation training. Embry-Riddle is a fantastic choice for a wide range of students including those seeking to earn certificates and enroll in associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs. As a Top College for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees, Embry Riddle consistently ranks high in “Best of” lists including:
- #10 in Regional Universities South (Daytona-US News)
- #4 in Best Colleges for Veterans (Daytona-US News)
- #35 in Best Value Schools (Daytona-US News)
- #2 in Regional Colleges West (Prescott-US News)
- #1 in Best Colleges for Veterans (Prescott-US News)
- #13 in Best Value Schools (Prescott-US News)
- #1 in Best Online Bachelor’s Programs (Worldwide-US News)
- #1 in Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans (Worldwide-US News)
- #7 in Best Online Bachelor’s in Business Programs (Worldwide-US News)
Embry Riddle is a GI Bill approved school and participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Embry-Riddle offers credit for the CLEP and DSST exams. Embry-Riddle also proudly offers credit for military experience.
Best Midwest College
With over one dozen aviation and aeronautical fields of study and over 130 graduate options for its students, Purdue University is a stellar option for students seeking a degree in the Midwest. Purdue also offers a Global (online) option with almost 200 fields of study. As a Top College for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees, Purdue consistently ranks high on “Best of” lists including:
- #4 Aerospace /Aeronautical / Astronautical Programs (US News)
- #1 Biological / Agricultural Programs (US News)
- #23 Best Colleges for Veterans (US News)
- #8 Most Innovative Schools (US News)
- #17 Top Public Schools (US News)
- #10 Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (US News)
Purdue is a GI Bill approved school and participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Purdue also offers credit for the CLEP exam.
An Extraordinary Experience
As a Top College for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees, the University of Alaska Anchorage is the state’s largest post-secondary institution. It is comprised of the Anchorage Campus located in the heart of Alaska’s largest city, as well as Kenai Peninsula College, Matanuska-Susitna College, Kodiak College and Prince William Sound College, all located in some of the most beautiful places in Alaska.
With over a dozen aviation fields of study, the University of Alaska Anchorage scores high on “Best of” lists including:
- #34 Top Public Schools (US News)
- #71 in Regional Universities West (US News)
University of Alaska Anchorage is a GI Bill approved school and offers credit for military experience.
Elizabeth City State University
Best Kept Secret
Education’s best kept secret in aviation is also an Historically Black College and University and the only four-year collegiate aviation education program in the State of North Carolina. Elizabeth City State University is also one of the few HBCUs in the nation that offer aviation education programs. As a Top College for Aeronautics and Aviation Degrees, ECSU consistently ranks high on “Best of” lists including:
- #4 in Top Public Schools (US News)
- #33 in Regional Colleges South (US News)
- #10 in Top Performers on Social Mobility (US News)
- #22 in Historically Black Colleges and Universities (US News)
Elizabeth City State University is a GI Bill approved school and participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. ECSU also offers credit for both the DSST and the CLEP exams.
- Best Online Colleges for Military Credit Transfer
- Getting a Degree in Aeronautics or Aviation
- Take Flight with a Degree in Unmanned Systems
About the author
Born in SoCal yet raised Tampa, Florida - Leah earned her undergraduate BA in Liberal Studies from the University of Central Florida. Leah earned her MA in the MALAS at San Diego State University, while also completing a graduate teaching certificate in English for Secondary Education. An avid traveler, she has visited more than 60 countries. With the birth of her son Spencer in 2012, Leah embarked on her biggest adventure (yet) as parent and Coast Guard wife.