Start a Great Career with an Education in African American/Black American StudiesAfrican American Studies, also referred to as Black American, Black, or African Diaspora Studies, is designed to help students understand the multicultural dimensions of society. Students who have a passion for the social sciences and students who wish to pursue careers that serve mixed ethnic communities will find a degree in African American Studies particularly appealing.
- Popular culture
- Women’s Studies
Certificate Programs in African American StudiesAn undergraduate certificate in African American Studies can be a great introductory program to this field of study. Students can earn an undergraduate certificate as a standalone program or in conjunction with an Associate or Bachelor’s degree.
A graduate certificate in African American Studies is designed for students already possessing most or all of their baccalaureate credits, to enhance or diversify their studies. Graduate certificates are popular with professionals already working in a related field that serves a multicultural population. A graduate certificate can enhance career advancement and salary prospects. A graduate certificate in African American Studies is also an excellent asset for those seeking to embark on a new career.
Jobs with a Certificate in African American Studies:
- Human Service Assistants- Provide services for clients, and specific populations of clients, in a variety of social service fields. Human Service Assistants may work for nonprofit organizations, for-profit social service agencies, and state and local governments. Median Annual Salary: $35,000.
- Home Health Aide- Monitor the condition of people with disabilities or chronic illnesses and help them with daily living activities. May work at a variety of locations including a long-term care facility, senior living community, or in client homes. May specialize in specific client populations given area(s) of expertise. Median Annual Salary: $37,000.
Michigan State University- Offers a PhD Graduate Certificate in African Studies. Michigan State participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Associate Degree in African American StudiesAn Associate Degree in African American Studies is a great opportunity for students that are thinking about a career in fields such as:
- Social Work
- Law Enforcement
Jobs with an Associate Degree in African American Studies:
- Teacher Assistant- Work with a licensed teacher to give students additional attention and instruction. May specialize in specific student populations given area(s) of expertise. Median Annual Salary: $29,000.
- Legal Assistant- Perform a variety of tasks to support lawyers. Median Annual Salary: $52,000.
- Law Enforcement- Police officers protect lives and property. Median Annual Salary: $67,000.
Contra Costa College- Offers an Associate of Arts in African American Studies. Contra Costa College does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Bachelor's Degree in African American StudiesAn undergraduate degree in African American Studies will explore a wide range of topics including:
- The varieties and histories of racial and cultural subgroups of African Americans
- Construction (and reconstruction) of African American identities over time
- Theoretical lessons from comparisons among and between groups of African American populations and non-African American populations
- General principles that influence racial and ethnic relations
- Leadership and relationships within and between diverse communities
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Troy University - TroyTroy, ALPartner School
Troy University is a public institution comprised of campuses throughout Alabama and worldwide. International in scope, TROY provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to include doctoral programs, for...
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
Emerson CollegeBoston, MAPartner School
Emerson College offers educational programs that prepare undergraduate and graduate students to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in communication and the arts, and to pursue scholarship and work that brings innovation to these disciplines.
Minnesota State University MoorheadMoorhead, MNPartner School
MSU Moorhead Military & Veteran Support Programs MSU Moorhead offers the following veteran and military support programs: MSU Moorhead has GI Bill®-approved programs Does not have a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
Alamo Colleges DistrictSan Antonio, TXPartner School
The Alamo Colleges District provides support and advocacy for our military families through offices on Joint Base San Antonio and at our colleges through St. Philip’s College Military Support Services (MSS) Department and San...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
Houston Christian UniversityHouston, TXPartner School
Houston Christian University Military & Veteran Support Programs Houston Christian University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Houston Christian University has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit...
Jobs with a Bachelor’s Degree in African American Studies:
- Legislator- An elected position responsible for development, introduction, and/or enactment of laws and statutes at the local, state, or federal level. Median Annual Salary: $30,000.
- News Correspondent– Work for newspaper, website, or periodical publishers or in television or radio broadcasting and inform the public about news and events. Specifically, as it relates to and/or impacts the African American population. Median Annual Salary: $46,000.
- Community Health Worker- Collect data and discuss health concerns with members of specific populations or communities. Median Annual Salary: $47,000.
American University- Offers a Bachelor of Arts in African American and African Diaspora Studies. American University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Michigan State University– Offers a Bachelor of Arts in Global and Area Studies-Africa Track. Michigan State participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Syracuse University- Offers a Bachelor of Arts in African American Studies. Syracuse University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Master's Degree in African American StudiesA Master’s Degree in African American Studies is a popular choice for those seeking to become an expert in their chosen fields such as social sciences and public policy. A graduate degree in African American Studies is also a great choice for those choosing career paths such as research or teaching.
In comprehensive graduate programs, students will look to the past to gain a deeper knowledge of the histories of African Americans and all sub-cultural identities. A comprehensive graduate program will also look to the future and address the many aspects of life that are of significance to the African American populations including cultural, social, and political.
Jobs with a Master’s Degree in African American Studies:
- Postsecondary Teacher– Instruct students in African American Studies courses beyond the high school level. Median Annual Salary: $80,000.
- Top Executive- Plan strategies and policies to ensure an organization meets its goals. Median Annual Salary: $105,000.
GI Bill-approved Schools Offering Master's in African American StudiesReady to start your Master’s Degree in African American Studies? Check out these great programs available at our partner schools:
Offers a Master of Arts in African American and African Studies and an MA with a Concentration in African Studies. Michigan State participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Offers a Master of Arts in Pan-African Studies. Syracuse University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Doctorate in African American studiesEarning a doctoral degree in African American Studies will help bring students to the apex of their educational careers. Students can earn a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in African American Studies. A doctoral degree offers students the opportunity to become well-respected experts in their field, with many PhD graduates sharing their wealth of knowledge via careers in writing, research, and teaching.
Jobs with a Doctoral Degree in African American Studies:
- Policy Analyst (Federal)- Analyze policy at the federal level, requiring significant expertise and experience. GS-15 Median Annual Salary: $80,000.
- Author- Develop written content for various types of media on the topic of African American Studies. Median Annual Salary: $122,000.
GI Bill-approved Schools Offering a Doctorate in African American StudiesReady to start your Doctorate in African American Studies? Check out these great programs available at our partner schools:
Offers a PhD in African American and African Studies (AAAS). Michigan State participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.