Getting a Degree in Civil EngineeringCivil engineering is one of the many types of engineering you can go into. A civil engineer works to plan and supervise public works projects. They work on the infrastructure that moves people and commerce around the country and work on public works projects such as buildings, highways, airports, bridges, and dams.
In order to be a good civil engineer, you would need to be a good problem solver, have proficiency in math, and be able to deal with different types of projects and settings.
Associate’s Degree in Civil EngineeringIf you go for your associate’s degree in civil engineering, it will prepare you for assistant level roles as technicians, surveyors, and inspectors. However, to go any further than that, you would need to get your bachelor’s degree. An associate’s degree should take you around two years and you can find programs through your local community college or engineering college. You might then take courses in surveying, cartography, and topography.
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil EngineeringGetting your bachelor’s degree in civil engineering is a must for pursuing a career as any type of civil engineer. Students working towards their bachelor’s degree will learn about construction management and building materials, hazardous waste management, structural design, soil composition, and materials science. Classes may include engineering physics, technical communications, hydrology, wastewater handling, economics, and more.
You should be able to find either an in-person or online bachelor’s degree program to study civil engineering. For online programs, the University of North Dakota, Old Dominion University, and Keiser University all have highly rated programs. For in-person programs, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and Princeton University all have highly rated programs.
Jobs with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- Construction Managers - Oversee a worksite and know about things such as weather, costs, team and time management, and supervise a wide variety of projects, have an average salary of $86,248, according to Glassdoor as of July 2022.
- Environmental Engineers - Use the principles of engineering, soil science, biology, and chemistry to develop solutions to environmental problems, and work to improve things such as recycling, waste disposal, public health, and water and air pollution, have an average salary of $79,966 according to Glassdoor, as of March 2022.
- Transportation Engineers- Design solutions to transportation needs of all kinds, from airports to maintaining highways, to road and rail systems, have an average salary of $78,294, according to Glassdoor as of April 2022.
Master’s Degree in Civil EngineeringGetting your master’s degree in civil engineering can allow you to go further on in your career as well as allow you to have a more management type of position. Some schools may have a 5-year program where you can get your bachelor’s degree and master’s degree at the same time. Traditional master’s programs take two years. Students would take classes such as civil engineering, architectural engineering, and structural engineering.
You should be able to find either an in-person or online master’s degree program to study civil engineering. For online programs, Mississippi State University, Villanova University, and the Missouri University of Science and Technology all have highly rated programs. For in-person programs, the University of California at Berkeley, the Georgia Institute of Technology, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign all have highly rated programs.
Jobs with a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering:
- Architectural and Engineering Managers -Responsible for developing the overall concept of a new product or work to solve the technical problems that prevent the completion of a project and who also propose budgets for programs and projects and determine staff training, and equipment needs, have an average salary of $128,373, according to Glassdoor, as of March 2022.
- Structural Engineers -Create designs and plans for various infrastructure projects such as bridges, pipelines, who write construction documents that include specifications, drawings, and instructions, and who also stay up-to-date with current policies and ensure projects meet environmental safety and legal guidelines. Structural Engineers have an average salary of $80,958 according to Glassdoor, as of April 2022.
- Water Resource Engineers - Develop water infrastructure plans for the sewer system, flood defense programs, pumping stations, who ensure sewerage and water infrastructure are maintained correctly, and who evaluate potential problems, have an average salary of $74,547, according to Glassdoor as of April 2022.
Doctorate Degrees in Civil EngineeringGetting your Ph.D. in civil engineering will allow you to pursue jobs in academia or research. Programs take around 4-5 years and students would learn how to properly address complex engineering problems while navigating through traditional principles of a society as it relates to technology. In the Ph.D. program, students would select a technical concentration and that would determine the types of classes they would take.
You can find highly rated programs at schools such as the University of Texas Arlington, the George Washington University School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and the Atlantic International University.
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Alamo Colleges DistrictSan Antonio, TXPartner School
The Alamo Colleges District provides support and advocacy for our military families through offices on Joint Base San Antonio and at our colleges through St. Philip’s College Military Support Services (MSS) Department and San...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
California State University Northridge, Tseng CollegeNorthridge, CAPartner School
CSUN Military & Veteran Support Programs CSUN offers the following veteran and military support programs: CSUN has GI Bill approved programs Does not have a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Does...
American Military UniversityCharles Town, WVPartner School
Learn from the leader in online education, a Best for Vets College & Yellow Ribbon School—AMU. We have a strong history and legacy helping servicemembers navigate tuition assistance and veterans with GI Bill® benefits.
University of Alabama-TuscaloosaTuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa is a 4 Year, Public university located at 739 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL. Students at University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. University of...
Colorado State University-Fort CollinsFort Collins, CO
Colorado State University-Fort Collins Colorado State University-Fort Collins is a 4 Year, PUBLIC university located at 2545 Research Blvd, Fort Collins, CO. Students at Colorado State University-Fort Collins can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree...
University of Michigan-Ann ArborAnn Arbor, MI
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is a 4 Year, Public university located at 515 EAST JEFFERSON STREET, Ann Arbor, MI. Students at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s,...
Central Michigan UniversityMt Pleasant, MI
Central Michigan University Central Michigan University is a 4 Year, Public university located at 101 Warriner Hall, Mt Pleasant, MI. Students at Central Michigan University can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs.
Iowa State UniversityAmes, IA
Iowa State University Iowa State University is a 4 Year, OJT university located at 3410 Beardshear Hall, Ames, IA. Students at Iowa State University can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. Iowa...
Jobs with a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering
- Hydrologists- Find solutions to water-related problems such as availability, quantity, and quality, as well as controlling flooding situations and soil erosion, have an average salary of $67,989 according to Salary.com as of March 2022.
- Post-Secondary Engineering Teachers-Educate students on the principles of engineering and application of physical laws, and have varying salaries across the US.
- Research Engineers- Use their Ph.D. to work on a wide variety of projects in research and development, and who collect data and work on grant proposals, have an average salary of $77,360, according to Glassdoor as of April 2022.
- Chemical Engineering
- Engineering Chemistry
- Ocean Engineering