Are you a school administrator? Yes No x to close
Find Your School
Find VA-Approved Colleges For Military and Veterans

Conflict Resolution: Degrees and Jobs for Military and Veterans

A degree in Conflict Resolution conveys the theoretical and practical aspects of analyzing and resolving conflict in business, family and court settings.

Focusing on problem-solving skills that result in positive and flexible resolutions, courses will instruct learners how to navigate the waters from family conflicts to international diplomacy with skills they can even apply outside the workforce to better their own lives and those of their families.
In-person or online degrees in Conflict Resolution include Associate, Bachelor's, and Master's programs, qualifying graduates for a variety of career options domestically and internationally. A certificate or degree in Conflict Resolution proves to be a valuable asset for all careers and professions.Conflict Resolution develops skills in a variety of areas including:
  • Decision-making and negotiation
  • Intercultural dispute resolution
  • National and international security
  • Arbitration
  • Divorce and family mediation
  • Fundamentals of contract law
  • Personal and professional understandings of conflict resolution
  • Utilize constructive collaborations for positive outcomes

Job Outlook and Salary

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, careers connected to Conflict Resolution will grow between 7 to 11% in the following decade in human resources, mediation and analysis.

Application Requirements

Application requirements will vary based on the school and program, as well as level of degree, but all associate-level candidates should have at least a high school diploma with a GPA of 3.0. Some programs may require applicants to take the GRE college admissions test. Personal skills such as exhibiting empathy, patience, strategic conversations and problem-solving will give you an extra edge. For those applying for post-graduate degrees, a bachelor degree in conflict resolution or some related fields will be required. Many flexible online and in person programs are available nationwide as the need for these careers across the nation is growing.

Certificate Programs in Conflict Resolution

An undergraduate certificate in Conflict Resolution can be a great introductory program to this field of study. Undergraduate certificate programs offer an overview of conflict resolution theories, tools, techniques, and goals. Students can earn an undergraduate certificate as a standalone program or in conjunction with an Associate or Bachelor’s degree.

A graduate Certificate in Conflict Resolution is also quite popular across many academic and career fields. These graduate certificates are usually designed for students already possessing most or all of their baccalaureate credits to enhance or diversify their studies. Graduate certificates are also popular with professionals already working in a related field and for those wishing to enhance their marketable skills and earning power.

Associate Degree in Conflict Resolution

An Associate Degree in Conflict Resolution will cover the core teachings of conflict resolution, including analyzing the genesis of conflicts and their patterns, intervention tactics, communication, negotiation, mediation, and engagement.

An Associate degree prepares students to enter the workforce with a set of marketable skills that set the foundation for conflict resolution or provide the stepping stones toward higher degrees in the field. An undergraduate degree in Conflict Resolution provides students with a comprehensive, interdisciplinary education to manage conflicts in the workplace in complex, collaborative, and diverse environments.

Bachelor’s Degree in Conflict Resolution

An undergraduate degree in Conflict Resolution will provide students with a comprehensive, interdisciplinary education. A Bachelor’s in Conflict Resolution is designed to give students the skills to manage conflicts in the workplace, in complex collaborative environments, and in varied situations involving diverse populations.

Bachelor degree programs take an average of four years to complete at an accredited university but open more career options than associate degrees. Bachelor's degree in Conflict Resolution are also required to continue to pursue a master's degree in Conflict Resolution.

Master’s Degree in Conflict Resolution

A Master’s Degree in Conflict Resolution is a solid choice for those hoping to maximize their leadership skills in any career. To specialize within this field, other related MA programs include International Peace and Conflict Resolution (MA) and Master of Theological Studies as well as flexible options like Online Master’s in Negotiation and Conflict Management.

Entering into a masters program would require a completed bachelor program with a GPA of 3.0 or higher and potentially GRE or other entry exams or work experience depending on the school offering the program.

What Can You Do With A Degree In Conflict Resolution?

Careers for those with degrees in Conflict Resolution studies and related fields may be eligible to work in various settings including governmental, law enforcement, corporate and the public sector including in schools and other public institutions.

What do people in this field do?

GI Bill-approved Schools Offering Degrees in Conflict Resolution

Once you have chosen a field of study within conflict resolution, determine which university and degree program is best for you using the program’s accreditation status,  the location and accessibility of the program, whether online or in person, to choose from universities and colleges which offer degrees in Conflict Resolution.

Conflict Resolution Programs:

How to Fund a Degree in Conflict Resolution: Using the G.I. Bill

For veterans interested in earning their degree in Conflict Resolution, funds from the GI Bill may apply for undergraduate and graduate courses. Tuition assistance amounts are based on the class load for applicable classes for full-time and part-time students for both graduate and undergraduate courses.

You may still be able to use your GI Bill funding at different schools simultaneously as long as both are for courses in your degree plan and the institution considers them essential to finishing your degree. Both conditions must be met to qualify.

Any leftover GI Bill funding you don’t spend on the initial degree may be used to further your education. Payments are sent after class finishes monthly.

Post 9/11 GI BIll recipients will have their funding sent to their school. Book or supply money will be sent directly to the student and housing assistance to ensure you can study and live comfortably while moving toward your future career.

Spouses of active-duty military service members from all branches except the Coast Guard, whose rank is E-1 to E-6, W-1 to W-2, or O-1 to O-3, on Title 1 orders fit the requisites for tuition assistance through MyCAA. In addition to the spouses’ qualifications, the applicant will need to have completed their high school diploma.

This does not apply to spouses of members of the National Guard. Title 10 orders specify that members must be active, full-time service or deployment.


MyCAA supports spouses wanting to continue to learn new skills. Providing up to $4,000 worth (at press time, your experience may vary) of tuition assistance total, payments will arrive in two payments of $2,000. These funds can be used toward associates degrees, licensing, certification, and national tests including the CLEP/College Level Examination Program tests.

MyCAA does not cover the financial need for supplies, uniforms, devices, books, or courses outside the program of study such as electives. Fees, transportation, child care, entertainment, reimbursement, study abroad programs or other non-academic courses do not meet the standard for MyCAA.

Using Funds from MyCAA

Apply through the MyCAA Scholarship Spouse Portal to begin the process and secure funding. Make sure to begin the process two months before studies begin so you know if you may need additional loan or scholarship options through FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

You may also explore the option of qualifying to use your spouse’s post 9/11 GI Bill for your own education if criteria are met.