Earn a Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)English is one of the most widely used languages in the world. The fields of science, commerce, aviation, and education (among others) all require a strong knowledge of the English language. If you have ever struggled learning a second language, you can understand what non-native English speakers go through on their quest to learn, understand, and use English on a daily basis.
TESOL CertificationA TESOL certification can be earned independently or in conjunction with a degree seeking program. Earning a certificate independently from a degree seeking program can typically be accomplished in one year or less. Earning a degree in TESOL will open up a wide range of teaching and employment opportunities above and beyond what is available with a standalone certification. Pay also significantly increases with the addition of a degree and increases even further with an advanced degree.
TESOL degrees are offered at the associate, bachelor’s, and master’s levels. Online only programs are common. TESOL degrees offered in conjunction with state teacher preparation programs are also readily available.
Associate Degree in TESOLOften offered as an Associate of Arts degree, an Associate Degree in TESOL prepares students for teaching communicative English language. This introductory degree in TESOL explores linguistic, grammatical, and pedagogical studies of language development and teaching English to non-native speakers.
Please note that programs may refer to their TESOL degree by a variety of acronyms such as:
- TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- ELL: English Language Learners
- SLA: Second Language Acquisition
- TEFL: Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- TESL: Teaching English as a Second Language
- ENL: English as a New Language
- ESL: English as a Second Language
- ESOL: English to Speakers of Other Languages
- ELA: English Language Acquisition
Bachelor’s Degree in TESOLWhile earning an undergraduate degree in TESOL, students will learn to proficiently teach grammar, pronunciation, and context to English language learners. Students will explore ways to adapt English language instruction to a variety of institutional, situational, cultural, and student-specific contexts.
Jobs with a Bachelor’s in TESOL
- Adult TESOL teacher - Instructs adults in basic skills, such as reading and speaking English. Adult TESOL teachers also help students earn their high school equivalent diploma. Instructing adults in TESOL usually does not require a state teacher certification. Median Annual Salary: $54,000.
- Elementary TESOL teacher - Instructs young students in basic subjects in order to prepare them for future schooling. Most public school districts will require a state teacher certification (provisional or otherwise) in addition to a TESOL degree or certification. Median Annual Salary: $59,000.
Master’s Degree in TESOLTake your education to the next level by earning a graduate degree in TESOL! Students will delve in depth into the linguistic, grammatical, and pedagogical studies of language development and teaching English to non-native speakers. Master’s degree programs often have a specialty focus such as a particular native language population or teaching specific student populations (such as primary, secondary, or post-secondary students).
Jobs with a Master’s in TESOL
- Training specialist - Plans and administers programs that improve the language skills and general knowledge of their employees. Median Annual Salary: $61,000.
- Postsecondary teacher - Instructs college students in TESOL classes. Median Annual Salary: $80,000.
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Troy University - TroyTroy, ALPartner School
Troy University is a public institution comprised of campuses throughout Alabama and worldwide. International in scope, TROY provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to include doctoral programs, for...
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
Emerson CollegeBoston, MAPartner School
Emerson College offers educational programs that prepare undergraduate and graduate students to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in communication and the arts, and to pursue scholarship and work that brings innovation to these disciplines.
The College of Saint RoseAlbany, NYPartner School
The College of Saint Rose is 100% uncapped Yellow Ribbon School. Receive college credit for military training, including PE credit for basic training. We offer the Massry Veteran Scholarship. Saint Rose Accelerated Programs which allow you...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
Alamo Colleges DistrictSan Antonio, TXPartner School
The Alamo Colleges District provides support and advocacy for our military families through offices on Joint Base San Antonio and at our colleges through St. Philip’s College Military Support Services (MSS) Department and San...
GI Bill Approved Colleges with Degrees in TESOLReady to get started on a degree Teaching English to Speakers to Other Languages? Check out these great programs, some of which may available at our partner schools.
- Biola University Offers a Master of Arts in TESOL as a traditional, campus-based program and a fully online MA in TESOL. A graduate certificate in TESOL can be acquired after completing the first year of the M.A. in TESOL, in conjunction with another master’s program, or on its own as a stand-alone program. Biola University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
- Buena Vista University Offers an online graduate endorsement for TESOL. This graduate certificate for TESOL is intended to enhance the skills of K-12 educators who hold a degree and teaching license. Buena Vista University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
- Cairn University Offers a Bachelor of Arts in TESOL. Cairn University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
- Kansas State University Online Offers a fully online Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction with an English as a Second Language Concentration. A campus-based degree is offered for a Master of Arts in Second Language Acquisition/Teaching English as a Foreign Language. K State participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
- Multnomah University Offers an online Master of Arts in TESOL. Multnomah also offers a Dual Master of Arts in TESOL and Global Development & Justice. The Dual MA is offered both in-person and online. Multnomah University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
- University of Central Florida Offers a Master of Arts in TESOL. UCF also offers a PhD in Education with a specialty in TESOL. The University of Central Florida participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.