Picture This! Earning a Degree in FilmA Degree in Film offers students both academic opportunities and artistic experiences for a great career.
What can you do with a Film Degree?A Degree in Film (sometimes also listed as a Degree in Cinema) offers students a solid foundation in all aspects of film creation and production. This includes opportunities to engage both traditional and digital filmmaking while cultivating their own craft as a visual storyteller. Students also take film courses in cultural, historical, and critical studies.
Getting a Degree in FilmA Degree in Film can lead to employment in a variety of different occupations including:
- TV/Film director
- Advertising Producer
- Technical Director
- Effects Animator
- Audio Specialist
- News reporter
- Postsecondary teacher
- Sound Designer
- Film Distribution
Is a Film Degree hard?No, a Degree in Film is not difficult! A Degree in Film can fun and exciting as students explore all the aspect of visual storytelling. It also offers students a solid educational foundation should they choose to seek an advanced degree or a career unrelated to a Degree in Film.
Getting a Degree in Film
Bachelor’s in FilmA Bachelor’s Degree in Film will take about four years to complete.
With a Bachelor’s Degree in Film a student can “hit the ground running” as they enter the career field they have prepared for. For those already working in the film industry, a Degree in Film will help advance one’s career affording them greater earning power. It can also be a step towards a master’s degree, or even doctorate!
Jobs with Bachelor’s in Film
- Reporter – Investigate and inform the public about news and events. Median annual salary: $46,000.
- Public Relations Specialist – Develop and maintain a favorable public image for the organization they represent. Median annual salary: $61,000.
- Film Editor – Edit moving images on film, video, or other media. May work with a producer or director to organize images for final production. May edit or synchronize soundtracks with images. Median annual salary: $76,000.
- Director – Makes business and creative decisions about film, television, stage, and other productions. Median annual salary: $79,000.
Master’s Degree in FilmWith a Master’s Degree in Film, a student is well on their way to becoming an expert in this field of study. Along with the opportunities to perfect one’s own visual storytelling, a Master’s degree grows students educational foundation including skills in research and other forms of communication (speaking and written). Master’s degrees earn a significant pay bump from a bachelor’s degree and open up opportunities for leadership and supervisory positions.
Jobs With Master’s in Film
- Author – Develop written content for various types of media. Median annual salary: $70,000.
- Producer – Make business and creative decisions about film, television, stage, and other productions. Median annual salary: $79,000.
- Art Director – Responsible for the visual style and images in magazines, newspapers, product packaging, and movie and television productions. Median annual salary: $101,000.
- Public Relations Manager – Direct the creation of materials that will enhance the public image of their employer or client. Median annual salary: $120,000.
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Troy University - TroyTroy, ALPartner School
Troy University is a public institution comprised of campuses throughout Alabama and worldwide. International in scope, TROY provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to include doctoral programs, for...
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
Emerson CollegeBoston, MAPartner School
Emerson College offers educational programs that prepare undergraduate and graduate students to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in communication and the arts, and to pursue scholarship and work that brings innovation to these disciplines.
Minnesota State University MoorheadMoorhead, MNPartner School
MSU Moorhead Military & Veteran Support Programs MSU Moorhead offers the following veteran and military support programs: MSU Moorhead has GI Bill®-approved programs Does not have a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University ranks as one of the best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
Alamo Colleges DistrictSan Antonio, TXPartner School
The Alamo Colleges District provides support and advocacy for our military families through offices on Joint Base San Antonio and at our colleges through St. Philip’s College Military Support Services (MSS) Department and San...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
Houston Christian UniversityHouston, TXPartner School
Houston Christian University Military & Veteran Support Programs Houston Christian University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Houston Christian University has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Is a Film Degree worth it?Yes, a Degree in Film is worth it! A successful education in Film will instill students not only with the skills to be a fantastic participant in the film industry but also provide students with an educational foundation for any career they choose.
GI Bill-approved Schools Offering a Film DegreeReady to earn your Degree in Film? Check out these great programs available at our partner schools:
- Emerson College - Offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film. Emerson participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- Biola University - Offers a Bachelor of Arts in Cinema and Media Arts. Biola also offers a campus based BA in Communication Studies. Biola University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- University of Southern Maine - Offers Cinema Studies as a minor for its undergraduate degrees. University of Southern Maine participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- Loyola University Chicago - Offers a Bachelor of Arts in Film and Digital Media. Loyola offers several concentration as well for this degree. Loyola University Chicago is a Yellow Ribbon school.
- Quinnipiac University - Offers a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film, Television and Media Arts. Quinnipiac is a Yellow Ribbon school.
- Evangel University - Offers Film and Broadcasting as a major for its undergraduate degrees. Evangel participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- University of Nevada Las Vegas - Offers a Bachelor of Arts in Film. UNLV is a Yellow Ribbon school.
Fully Online Film DegreesUniversity of Arizona
Offers a fully online Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television. A Degree in Film and Television is also offered as a campus-based program as a Bachelor of Arts and as a Bachelor of Fine Arts. University of Arizona is a GI Bill® approved school, offers credit for military experience, and awards credit for both the CLEP and DSST exams. University of Arizona is a Yellow Ribbon school and is approved for Tuition Assistance.