Follow Your Passion: Start a Great Career with a Degree in Food Science!Students who have a passion for all things food related will find a degree in Food Science particularly appealing. Food Science is a multidisciplinary program that applies science (chemistry, microbiology, etc.) with engineering and nutrition to develop new food products. Food Science also studies and develops processes to improve the safety, quality, and sustainability of food.
Food Science graduates can pursue a wide variety of jobs. Notable careers fields include:
- Health and Nutrition
- Exercise Science
- Nutrition Science and Dietetics
- Public Health
- Policy Studies
Bachelor's Degree in Food ScienceA Bachelor’s in Food Science will have classes in core areas including:
- Food chemistry
- Food safety
- Food engineering
- Food processing
- Product development
- Food business
- Food packaging
Jobs with a Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science
- Food Science Technician - Assist agricultural and food scientists. Technicians work in laboratories, processing plants, farms and ranches, greenhouses, and offices. Median Annual Salary: $42,000.
- Public Relations Specialist - Create and maintain a favorable public image for the organization they represent, specifically as it relates to a food product client. Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
- Food Scientist - Research ways to improve the efficiency and safety of agricultural establishments and products. Median Annual Salary: $69,000.
Offers a Bachelor of Science in Food Studies. Michigan State also offers a Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degree programs in Food Studies. Michigan State participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Offers Food Systems as a minor for its undergraduate degrees. George Mason participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Online Bachelor's Degrees in Food Science
Offers a fully online Bachelor’s in Food Science and Industry. KState participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Master's Degree in Food ScienceA Master’s Degree in Food Science is a popular choice for those seeking to become an expert in this field. A graduate degree will offer a multi-disciplinary approach in topics from food production to consumption. At the graduate level students are encouraged to choose one or more areas of in-depth study. Popular areas of concentration include:
- Community food systems
- Agroecology (Sustainable and eco-friendly practices of food production)
- Food Security (Access to safe, affordable, nutritional, and appealing food)
- Food Business (including sustainability and commercial production)
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
Houston Christian UniversityHouston, TXPartner School
Houston Christian University Military & Veteran Support Programs Houston Christian University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Houston Christian University has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Jobs with a Master’s Degree in Food Science:
- Postsecondary Teacher - Instruct students in Food Science courses beyond the high school level. Median Annual Salary: $80,000.
- Agricultural Engineer - Solve problems concerning pollution, environmental issues, and the storage and processing of agricultural products. Median Annual Salary: $84,000.
- Public Relations Manager - Direct the creation of materials that will enhance the public image of their employer or client. Median Annual Salary: $118,000.
- Author - Develop written content for various media types on Food Science topics. Median Annual Salary: $122,000.
GI Bill-Approved Schools Offering a Master's Degree in Food ScienceReady to start your Master’s Degree in Food Science? Check out these great programs available at our partner schools:
Offers a Master of Science in Food Studies and an undergraduate degree in Food Studies. Syracuse participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Online Master's in Food Science Programs
Offers a fully online Master’s in Food Science. KState participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.