Master’s Degree in ArchitectureArchitecture is all about the way buildings and structures look, as well as how they function and how safe they are. Those who are creative, have good listening skills as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills can do well in this field.
The overall job outlook for architecture and engineering according to BLS is projected to grow from 2020-2030, which is about average for all occupations.
Online or In-person Master’s in ArchitectureWhen it comes to getting your master’s degree in architecture, you can find an in-person program or an online program. The benefits of an online program may appeal to working professionals or those looking for a career transition. In-person programs may appeal more to those coming from undergraduate programs or those who simply want that in-person experience. Some online programs could have an in-person element to them.
A Master’s in ArchitectureGoing to get your master’s in architecture is a good idea if you would like to pursue this career path. Having a master’s degree can be a stepping stone to going on to get your Ph.D. or can give you an advantage when looking for a career after you graduate. Many positions require a master’s in architecture.
Within the world of architecture, you have a couple of options for getting your master’s in architecture. The first is to get your M.Arch for students with a non-architecture bachelor’s degree. This would take you between 3-4 years. The other option is to get your M.Arch for students with a pre-professional bachelor’s degree in architecture or architecture history. This program would take you two years.
Concentrations in ArchitectureDifferent concentrations will have different types of coursework. Here are some concentrations that you might find in a master’s of architecture program:
Sustainable DesignStudents will study design when it comes to environmental, social, and economic impacts on society.
- Urban Design - Students will study the design of urban areas, what should be built, and how outdoor areas are used.
- Building Performance - Students study how to integrate structures and enclosures into the environment as well as related building systems.
- History and Theory - Students analyze how buildings and structures have been built throughout time and across the world.
- Landscape Architecture - Students study the design of outdoor areas, landmarks, and structures.
Classes in ArchitectureThe classes you take in a master’s of architecture program will depend on your concentration. Here are a few examples of classes you might take while getting your master’s degree.
- Environmental Systems– this class is about the aspects of the physical environment that directly affect people as well as buildings.
- Structural Design– this class is about the different design systems as well as comparing traditional design approaches and new methods.
- Cases in Contemporary Construction – this class is about the design and construction of buildings and examples of different construction techniques.
Admission RequirementsAdmission requirements differ based on the school and program, however, most will require students to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school, to complete an application essay, and submit letters of recommendation. Students can have a bachelor’s degree in architecture or in another field. The difference would be when it came to which M.Arch program you would be in.
Some schools might also require professional experience, but even if the school doesn’t, it can help to have that work experience to put on the application. Schools usually also want students to have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
How to Choose a ProgramThere are many different factors when choosing the right architecture M.Arch program. Students should look at the length of each program, the course format, available concentrations, and final project requirements. Programs can be between two to four years long. It also might depend on if the student goes full or part-time. Students should also consider the curriculum and the cost.
It is important that you find a program that is accredited by the NAAB, the National Architectural Accrediting Board. In most states, you will need to have a degree from one of these programs in order to get licensed.
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Troy University - TroyTroy, ALPartner School
Troy University is a public institution comprised of campuses throughout Alabama and worldwide. International in scope, TROY provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to include doctoral programs, for...
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Houston Christian UniversityHouston, TXPartner School
Houston Christian University Military & Veteran Support Programs Houston Christian University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Houston Christian University has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit...
California State University Northridge, Tseng CollegeNorthridge, CAPartner School
CSUN Military & Veteran Support Programs CSUN offers the following veteran and military support programs: CSUN has GI Bill approved programs Does not have a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Does...
Southern New Hampshire University - OnlineManchester, NHPartner School
We’ve been helping military service members reach their goals for nearly 80 years. With the support of dedicated advisors who have experience with every branch of the military, we can help you meet your goals...
Indiana Wesleyan UniversityMarion, INPartner School
This is for you. IWU created innovative military degree pathways that maximize military transfer credits, saving you significant time and money. Using our stackable model, and depending on how many military credits you’ve earned,...
American Military UniversityCharles Town, WVPartner School
Learn from the leader in online education, a Best for Vets College & Yellow Ribbon School—AMU. We have a strong history and legacy helping servicemembers navigate tuition assistance and veterans with GI Bill® benefits.
University of Alabama-TuscaloosaTuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa is a 4 Year, Public university located at 739 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL. Students at University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. University of...
Top Master’s in Architecture ProgramsThere are many different master’s in architecture programs, some are in-person, and some are online.
Here are 10 of the top master’s in architecture programs:
- Harvard University
- Columbia University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Yale University
- Cornell University
- Princeton University
- Rice University
- Rhode Island School of Design
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of California, Berkeley
Top Online Master’s in Architecture ProgramsHere are 10 of the top online master’s in architecture programs:
- Boston Architectural College
- University of Missouri
- Southern Illinois University
- Lawrence Technological University
- Academy of Art University
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- University of Florida
- Wentworth Institute of Technology
- University of Washington
- Chatham University
Jobs With a Master’s Degree in Architecture
- Architectural Technologist - Architectural Technologists use their science and engineering skills and knowledge to create resilient and sustainable constructions as well as refurbishments. Annual Median Pay: $65,521
- Town Planner - Town Planners manage and develop countryside, towns, cities, and villages to balance the needs of the local environment, population, and economy. Annual Median Pay: $61,510
- Historic Buildings Inspector - Historic Buildings Inspectors work to promote the conservation of the historic environment as well as helping to protect and enhance buildings that have a historical, architectural, or cultural significance. Annual Median Pay: $57,638
- CAD Specialist - CAD Specialists use CAD software to develop technical drawings, blueprints, or other schematics. Annual Median Pay: $53,126
- Structural Engineers - Structural engineers use math and science to plan, design, and oversee structures. Annual Median Pay: $70,456