Master’s Degree in BiotechnologyBiotechnology is a science that involves the use of living systems and organisms to develop or make products that help improve our lives and the health of our planet.
According to BLS, the job outlook for biochemists and biophysicists is 4% from 2019-2029. This is about as fast as the average for all occupations.
Online or In-person Master’s in BiotechnologyWhen it comes to getting your master’s degree in biotechnology, you can find an in-person program or an online program. The benefits of an online program may appeal to working professionals or those looking for a career transition. In-person programs may appeal more to those coming from undergraduate programs or those who simply want that in-person experience. There might be some classes that will have to be taken in person such as labs and certain tests.
A Master’s in BiotechnologyMany jobs in biotechnology do require a master’s degree. And there are many options within the field, depending on what you want to do after you graduate.
Those with a master’s in biotechnology can work in research for a private company, can take on a management role, or use it as a stepping stone for a doctorate.
Concentrations in BiotechnologyDifferent concentrations will have different types of coursework. Here are some concentrations that you might find in a master’s of Biotechnology program:
- Biodefense - Students will prepare for a career in national defense, learning about topics such as bioterrorism, biowarfare, and bioethics.
- Biotechnology Science - Students will focus on topics related to biotechnology science and research, such as DNA damage and repair.
- Pharmaceutical Technologies - Students will focus on the conversion of purified proteins to drug products that are compatible with clinical use.
- Entrepreneurship - Students will learn about how to start their own life sciences firm and what that would include.
Classes in BiotechnologyThe classes you take in a master’s of biotechnology program will depend on your concentration. Here are a few examples of classes you might take while getting your master’s degree.
- Molecular Biology- this class teaches about DNA replication, transcription, translation, and more.
- Bioethics – this class examines ethical issues related to transplants, animal subjects, in vitro fertilization, and more.
- Cell Biology – this class focuses on cell structure and the functions of a cell.
- Physiology – this class studies the functions and mechanisms in a living system.
Admission RequirementsAdmission requirements differ based on the school and program, however, most will require students to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school, to complete an application essay, and submit letters of recommendation. Students most likely will need to have a bachelor’s degree in biotechnology or another similar field.
Some schools might also require professional experience, but even if the school doesn’t, it can help to have that work experience to put on the application. Schools usually also want students to have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
How to Choose a ProgramThere are many different factors when choosing the right biotechnology master’s program. Students should look at the length of each program, the course format, available concentrations, and final project requirements. Most programs are two years long, but students might also be able to find an accelerated program and be done in a year. It also might depend on if the student goes full or part-time. Students should also consider the curriculum and the cost.
Accreditation status for each program can also make a difference and can affect future career opportunities. Departments often receive accreditation from field-specific accrediting bodies. Accreditation will indicate that the program meets set standards of quality for the profession.
Top 10 Master’s in Biotechnology ProgramsThere are many different master’s in biotechnology programs, some are in-person, and some are online.
Here are 10 of the top master’s in biotechnology programs:
- Columbia University in the City of New York
- The University of Pennsylvania
- Johns Hopkins University
- Northwestern University
- Brown University
- Georgetown University
- The University of Southern California
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Tufts University
- Brandeis University
Top 10 Online Master’s in Biotechnology ProgramsHere are 10 of the top online master’s in biotechnology programs:
- Johns Hopkins University
- Columbia University in the City of New York
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- George Washington University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Husson University
- Harvard University
- The University of Maryland University College
- Purdue University
- Morehouse School of Medicine
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Indiana Wesleyan UniversityMarion, INPartner School
This is for you. IWU created innovative military degree pathways that maximize military transfer credits, saving you significant time and money. Using our stackable model, and depending on how many military credits you’ve earned,...
University of Alabama-TuscaloosaTuscaloosa, AL
University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa is a 4 Year, Public university located at 739 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL. Students at University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. University of...
University of Alaska FairbanksFairbanks, AK
University of Alaska Fairbanks University of Alaska Fairbanks is a 4 Year, Public university located at 505 South Chandalar Drive, Fairbanks, AK. Students at University of Alaska Fairbanks can enroll in associate’s, bachelor’s, certificate, master’s,...
Colorado State University-Fort CollinsFort Collins, CO
Colorado State University-Fort Collins Colorado State University-Fort Collins is a 4 Year, PUBLIC university located at 2545 Research Blvd, Fort Collins, CO. Students at Colorado State University-Fort Collins can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree...
University of ArizonaTucson, AZ
University of Arizona University of Arizona is a 4 Year, Public university located at 1401 E. University, Tucson, AZ. Students at University of Arizona can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. University...
Auburn UniversityAuburn, AL
Auburn University Auburn University is a 4 Year, Public university located at Samford Hall, 182 S College St, Auburn University,, Auburn, AL. Students at Auburn University can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral...
Yale UniversityNew Haven, CT
Yale University Yale University is a 4 Year, Private university located at Woodbridge Hall, New Haven, CT. Students at Yale University can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. Yale University Military & Veteran...
University of Alabama at BirminghamBirmingham, AL
University of Alabama at Birmingham University of Alabama at Birmingham is a 4 Year, Public university located at Administration Bldg Suite 1070, Birmingham, AL. Students at University of Alabama at Birmingham can enroll in bachelor’s,...
Jobs With a Master’s Degree in Biotechnology
- Biochemist - Biochemists research to better understand the physical and chemical principles of living things and their biological processes. Annual Median Pay: $61,669.
- Industrial Production Manager - Industrial Production Managers oversee the operation of diverse manufacturing facilities. Annual Median Pay: $70,433.
- Biomanufacturing Specialist - Biomanufacturing Specialists use tools and methods to guarantee products that meet certain requirements throughout the manufacturing process. Annual Median Pay: $65,774.
- Business Development Manager - Business Development Managers provide detailed market analysis and competitive intelligence that helps biotechnology companies formulate as well as execute growth and investment strategies. Annual Median Pay: $74,450.
- Medical Scientist - Medical Scientists will conduct clinical research to help improve patient health by investigating diseases and prevention methods. Annual Median Pay: $80,448.