Master’s Degree in FinanceFinance can be quite a broad term but includes matters regarding the study of money and investments. There are different types of finance, from personal to corporate to public.
Finance is a growing field. According to BLS, employment in business and financial occupations is projected to grow 5% from 2019-2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.
Online or In-personWhen it comes to getting your master’s degree in finance, you can find an in-person program or an online program. The benefits of an online program may appeal to working professionals or those looking for a career transition. In-person programs may appeal more to those coming from undergraduate programs or those who simply want that in-person experience.
A Master’s in FinanceGoing to get your master’s in finance will allow you to move up in your career, and allow you to pursue higher-paying jobs. You will be able to take the skills and experience you will gain from the program into your own career. You will also find many networking opportunities from your time in school that can make finding a job that much easier after you receive your master’s degree.
Concentrations in FinanceDifferent concentrations will have different types of coursework. Here are some of the most common that you might find in a master’s of finance program:
- Corporate Finance - Students will prepare to work with businesses’ financial tactics and strategies.
- Investment - Students will learn how to analyze investments, investment portfolios, and how to advise clients on investments.
- Computation and Programming - Students will study technical functions that finance professionals use in order to access data.
- MBA with the Finance concentration - This is for students who would like a broad degree in management but who also have an interest in finance.
Classes in FinanceThe classes you take in a master’s of finance program will depend on the concentration. Here are a few examples of classes you might take while getting your master’s degree.
- Corporate Finance – this class is an introduction to the fundamentals of corporate finance such as capital markets, acquisitions, debt securities, and more.
- Managerial Economics – this class provides an overview of economic tools and analytic approaches available to the manager of a company.
- Financial Management – this class would concentrate on financial management benefits that people are interested in regarding financial planning, investing, and other financial concerns.
Admission RequirementsAdmission requirements differ based on the school and program, however, most will require students to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school, to complete an application essay, and submit letters of recommendation. Students most likely will need to have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics, finance, statistics, business administration, or other related fields.
Some schools might also require professional experience, but even if the school doesn’t, it can help to have that work experience to put on the application. Schools usually also want students to have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
How to Choose a ProgramThere are many different factors when choosing the right finance master’s program. Students should look at the length of each program, the course format, available concentrations, and final project requirements. Most programs are two years long, but students might also be able to find an accelerated program and be done in a year. It also might depend on if the student goes full or part-time. Students should also consider the curriculum and the cost.
Accreditation status for each program can also make a difference and can affect future career opportunities. Departments often receive accreditation from field-specific accrediting bodies. Accreditation will indicate that the program meets set standards of quality for the profession.
Top Master’s in Finance ProgramsThere are many different master’s in finance programs, some are in-person, and some are online.
Here are 10 of the top master’s in finance programs:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Vanderbilt University
- Princeton University
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas
- University of Rochester
- University of Notre Dame
- Arizona State University
- Georgia State University
Top Online Master’s in Finance ProgramsHere are 10 of the top online master’s in finance programs:
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
The College of Saint RoseAlbany, NYPartner School
The College of Saint Rose is 100% uncapped Yellow Ribbon School. Receive college credit for military training, including PE credit for basic training. We offer the Massry Veteran Scholarship. Saint Rose Accelerated Programs which allow you...
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
University of the Incarnate WordSan Antonio, TXPartner School
UIW is dedicated to the success of military students at all levels. Degree programs are developed to maximize military service while providing a foundation for post-military life. Many faculty and staff have former military experience...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Houston Christian UniversityHouston, TXPartner School
Houston Christian University Military & Veteran Support Programs Houston Christian University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Houston Christian University has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit...
California State University Northridge, Tseng CollegeNorthridge, CAPartner School
CSUN Military & Veteran Support Programs CSUN offers the following veteran and military support programs: CSUN has GI Bill approved programs Does not have a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Does...
Jobs With a Master’s Degree in Finance
- Budget Analyst - Budget Analysts assist both public and private organizations with managing their finances. Annual Median Pay: $62,520.
- Accountant - Accountants will analyze and audit finances for people, companies, and organizations. Annual Median Pay: $51,796.
- Financial Director - Financial Directors are executives that manage the organization, a company’s financials and work on financial planning within the company. Annual Median Pay: $114,230.
- Stock Broker - Stock Brokers typically work for brokerage firms, buying and selling stocks for their clients. Annual Median Pay: $59,958.
- Personal Financial Advisor - Personal Financial Advisors will help individuals manage their money as well as help them plan for their financial future. Annual Median Pay: $67,421.