Follow Your Passion: Start a Great Career with a Degree in Zoology!Students who have a passion for animals will find a degree in Zoology particularly appealing. Zoology studies the animal kingdom and animal life. Zoology is a branch of biology where students will receive a strong educational foundation in animal biology, physiology, development, behavior, and evolution.
Zoology graduates can pursue a wide variety of careers and will especially excel in jobs that benefit from knowledge of animal biology, research, and ecology. Notable jobs include:
- Domestic Animal Caretaker
- Aquarium Employee
- Zoo Caretaker
- Aquarium and/or Zoo Educator
- Park Naturalist
- Museum Collection Manager
- Biology Lab Assistant
Bachelor's Degree in ZoologyStudents can earn either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree (as dictated by school of choice and available curriculum). The Bachelor of Arts in Zoology is for students who wish to combine study in zoology with a significant amount of course work outside the sciences, especially focusing on humanities and social science. A BA is intended for students who wish to prepare for careers with the application of zoology to other fields such as public policy, education, business, and communications.The Bachelor of Science in Zoology is for students who seek employment in animal biology fields or further education in graduate programs in animal biology. A BS has a focus on courses in biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, and statistics.
Both the BA and the BS are equally as valuable, and graduates can find employment in a wide variety of fields including:
- Conservation agencies
- Federal, state and local government
- Domestic and/or Wildlife Management
- Pre-veterinary fields
- Zoos and Aquariums
Jobs with a Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology:
- Animal Care Worker- Attend to or train animals. Animal care workers are employed in a variety of settings, including kennels, zoos, stables, animal shelters, pet stores, veterinary clinics, and aquariums. Median Annual Salary: $26,000.
- Public Relations Specialist- Create and maintain a favorable public image for the organization they represent, specifically as it relates to a zoological client (i.e., animal welfare groups, zoos, aquariums, etc.). Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
- Zoologist- Study animals and other wildlife and how they interact with their ecosystems. Median Annual Salary: $67,000.
- Customs Broker- Works to ensure client shipments meet the dozens of requirements enforced by US Customs and Border Control. Specifically as it relates to the zoology field, the import and export of animals for public and/or private clients. Median Annual Salary: $76,000.
Michigan State University- Offers a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science in Zoology. Michigan State participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
University of South Alabama- Offers a Bachelor’s degree in Biology with different Zoology track options including Invertebrate Zoology, Invertebrate Zoology, Marine Vertebrate Zoology, and Marine Invertebrate Zoology. USA participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Fayetteville State University- Offers several Bachelor Degrees in Biology including a BS in Biology with a concentration in Organismal Biology. FSU participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Syracuse University- Offers a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science in Biology with an opportunity to focus on Evolution and Animal Behavior. Syracuse participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
Troy University - TroyTroy, ALPartner School
Troy University is a public institution comprised of campuses throughout Alabama and worldwide. International in scope, TROY provides a variety of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, to include doctoral programs, for...
Arkansas State University-Main CampusState University, ARPartner School
Focusing on its mission to educate leaders, enhance intellectual growth and enrich lives, A-State meets the challenges of continuing as a destination university for more than 13,000 students through the combination of world-class research...
Purdue University Northwest-HammondHammond, INPartner School
Purdue University Northwest Veterans Services: a program designed to create a community of university personnel, students, and community agencies that provide individual support/service that increases the likelihood of veterans and student service members successfully...
Lasell UniversityNewton, MAPartner School
Lasell University Military & Veteran Support Programs Lasell University offers the following veteran and military support programs: Lasell University has GI Bill-approved programs Lasell University is approved for Tuition Assistance Lasell University is a Yellow...
University of Colorado BoulderBoulder, COPartner School
University of Colorado Boulder University of Colorado Boulder is a 4-year, University of Colorado Boulder university located in Boulder, CO. Students at University of Colorado Boulder can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree programs.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
University of DaytonDayton, OHPartner School
University of Dayton University of Dayton is a 4-year, private university located in Dayton, OH. Students at University of Dayton can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. University of Dayton Military &...
Xavier UniversityCincinnati, OHPartner School
Xavier University Military & Veteran Support Programs Xavier offers the following veteran and military support programs: Xavier has GI Bill approved programs Has a Student Veterans of America chapter Offers credit for military experience Awards credit...
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
Master's Degree in ZoologyA Master’s Degree in Zoology is a popular choice for those seeking to become an expert in this field. A graduate degree in Zoology will offer in-depth study in specific areas of zoology offered by the school and of particular interest to the student. Popular areas of concentration include:
- Animal Behavior
- Marine Biology
- Zoo Science
- Aquarium Science
Jobs with a Master’s Degree in Zoology:
- Evolutionary Historian- Research, analyze, interpret, and write about animals, science, and the past by studying scientific and historical documents and sources. Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
- Postsecondary Teacher– Instruct students in Zoology courses beyond the high school level. Median Annual Salary: $80,000.
- Public Relations Manager- Direct the creation of materials that will enhance the public image of their employer or client. Median Annual Salary: $118,000.
- Author- Develop written content for various types of media on zoological topics. Median Annual Salary: $122,000.
American University- Offers a Master of Science, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Track. American University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.