Earn a Certificate in Languages
Earn a Certificate in Language and Increase Your Earning Potential
If you are fluent in more than one language or desire to learn a second language, then earning a Certificate in Language is an excellent choice for educational growth, job marketability, and career earning power. Earning a Certificate in Language will be an easy and quick educational accomplishment for those already fluent or proficient in a second language other than English. For those not already skilled in a second language, a certificate program is an exceptional opportunity to learn and become proficient in speaking and reading another language! A Certificate in Language enhances one’s job and income prospects and is a desirable asset across many career fields including:
- Social Work
- Law Enforcement
- Health Care
Careers where contact with the public is essential requires employees skilled in languages. Business ventures, both public or private and large or small, will find second language skills essential in establishing and maintaining positive business relationships.
Language Undergraduate Certificates
An undergraduate Certificate in Language is a great starting point for students seeking educational advancement. A Certificate in Language at the undergraduate level will consist of basic benchmarks such as fluency, pronunciation, literacy, and accuracy of translation.
Popular language programs include:
Graduate Certificates in Language
A graduate Certificate in Language is intended for those already possessing an undergraduate degree.
Many programs are designed for the working professional seeking to enhance their current degree(s) and/or career. Students entering into a graduate level certificate program can do so as a stand-alone certification or in conjunction with a Master’s program.
A graduate certificate will be more interdisciplinary and comprehensive in the knowledge it imparts to students. Topics of study typically include:
- knowledge of culturally specific behavior, customs, and values
- understanding of target culture, history, literature, music, and folklore
- appreciation of diversity
- sensitivity to cultural issues
- awareness of differences in cultural perspectives
- language competence for speaking, writing, reading, and listening
Jobs with a Certificate in Language
- Teacher assistant – Work with a licensed teacher to give students additional attention and instruction. Median Annual Salary: $29,000.
- Tour guide – Plan, organize, and conduct long distance or sightseeing tours, travel, or expeditions. May escort individuals or groups through places of interest such as industrial establishments, public buildings, and art galleries. Median Annual Salary: $29,000.
- Travel agent – Sell transportation, lodging, and entertainment activities to individuals and groups planning trips. Median Annual Salary: $42,000.
- Interpreter – Convert information from one language into another language. Interpreters work in settings such as schools, hospitals, courtrooms, meeting rooms, and conference centers. Some work for translation and interpretation companies, individual organizations, or private clients. Median Annual Salary: $52,000.
- Adult ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher – Instruct adults in fundamental skills, such as reading and speaking English. They also help students earn their high school equivalency credential. Median Annual Salary: $55,000.
- Human resource specialist – Recruit, screen, interview, and place workers. They also handle employee relations, compensation and benefits, and training. Human resources specialists generally work in offices. Some, particularly recruitment specialists, travel extensively to attend job fairs, visit college campuses, and meet with applicants. Median Annual Salary: $63,000.
GI Bill-approved Schools Offering Language Programs
Ready to start a Certificate in Language? Check out these schools offering Language programs. Partners of CollegeRecon may be included for promotional consideration.
Allan Hancock College
Offers several Certificates of Accomplishment in Spanish Language Skills. Find more info on Allan Hancock College.
Offers a Certificate in Iroquois Linguistics. This program is designed to revitalize and preserve the Iroquois language for future generations. Syracuse participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Find more info on Syracuse University.
Online Certificate Programs in Language
California University of Pennsylvania
Offers several, fully online undergraduate certificates including Spanish for Law Enforcement, Spanish for Business, and Arabic Language and Culture. Find more info on California University of Pennsylvania.
Fort Hays State University
Offers a fully online undergraduate Certificate in Spanish. This certificate is also offered as a campus-based program. Fort Hays State University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Find more info on Fort Hays State University.
*All statistics and calculations from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. For more information click here.
- Asian Studies: Degrees and Jobs for Military and Veterans
- Getting a Degree in Teaching English (TESOL)
- Japanese: Degrees & Jobs for Military and Veterans
- Certificate for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Military Translator & Interpreter Jobs After the Military
- Rosetta Stone Military and Student Discount