Certificate for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
TESOL Certificate: Earn a Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Part of our Less School, More Pay series
English is one of the most widely used languages in the world. The fields of science, commerce, aviation, and education (among others) all require a strong knowledge of the English language. Many global careers and international educational institutions are conducted in English. Both industrialized and developing countries often require their students to learn English as a second language in school. Refugees and immigrants to English speaking countries will need to learn and refine their English language skills as they establish themselves in their new homeland. There is thus a considerable demand for qualified teachers of English, both in the United States and abroad.
An education in TESOL enables individuals to work with second language learners in the United States or work internationally teaching English. The majority of TESOL jobs will be offered in educational settings including primary, secondary, and postsecondary schools. Yet, there are also a wide variety of jobs in nontraditional educational settings such as corporate trainings, nonprofit organizations, and government-sponsored programs.
What Makes a Great TESOL Program
A great TESOL program will educate its future teachers how to successfully:
- develop lessons focusing on critical language structures in support of second language development
- contextualize instruction based on existing language proficiency and academic strengths
- plan, implement, and modify appropriate instructional strategies to meet the needs of individual students
A certificate in TESOL can be earned independently or in conjunction with a degree seeking program. Earning a certificate independently from a degree seeking program can typically be accomplished in one year or less.
Earning a TESOL certificate while already possessing an associate or bachelor’s degree will open up a wide range of teaching and employment opportunities above and beyond the variety of opportunities available with a standalone certification.
Jobs with a Certificate in TESOL
TESOL Teacher Assistant
Works with a licensed teacher to give students additional attention and instruction.
Median Annual Salary: $28,000.
Adult TESOL Teacher
Instructs adults in basic skills, such as reading and speaking English. In many programs a degree is not required. Adult TESOL teachers also help students earn their high school equivalent diploma.
Median Annual Salary: $54,000.
Elementary TESOL Teacher
Instructs young students in basic subjects in order to prepare them for future schooling. A bachelor’s degree in any subject is usually required to gain preliminary certification.
Median Annual Salary: $59,000.
Plans and administers programs that improve the skills and knowledge of their employees.
Median Annual Salary: $61,000.
Schools Offerings TESOL Certificates
Ready to get started on a Certificate Teaching English to Speakers to Other Languages? Check out these great programs at the following schools. Partner schools may be included as part of promotional efforts.
For more info on what military and veterans should consider when choosing a school, please see The 17 Most Important Veteran Education Benefits.
Offers three different TESOL certificates.
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL – this can be acquired after completing the first year of the M.A. in TESOL, in conjunction with another master’s program, or on its own as a stand-alone program.
- Undergraduate Certificate in TESOL – this can be acquired as part of an undergraduate degree at Biola.
- Departmental Entry-Level Certificates – for students who complete one or more classes but do not fulfill the credits required for the above certificates, this certificate specifies the number of contact hours.
Biola University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Offers an advanced TESOL certificate program. This program is designed for students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree but are not seeking a full degree at this time. Multnomah University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Online TESOL Certificate Programs
Offers a graduate certification in TESOL for K-12 teaching. This is a fully online program intended to enhance the skills of educators who hold a degree and teaching license. Buena Vista University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Offers an online, accredited, graduate-level Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) certificate program. Colorado Christian University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Offers a Graduate Certificate in Teaching English Language Learners (TELL) program. Post University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program.
Offers an undergraduate Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certificate and a graduate TEFL certificate. The University of Central Florida participates is a Yellow Ribbon school.
*All statistics and calculations from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. For more information click here.
- List of GI Bill Approved Online Colleges for Military and Veterans
- Troops to Teachers: Requirements & Tips for Veterans to Become Teachers
- Education Careers for Veterans and Military Spouses
- Japanese: Degrees & Jobs for Military and Veterans
- Military Translator & Interpreter Jobs After the Military
- Getting a Degree in Teaching English (TESOL)
- Rosetta Stone Military and Student Discount
- Less School, More Pay: Earn a Certificate in Languages