Know Your Education Benefits: A Checklist
Far too many veterans make the mistake of diving into school without fully understanding their education benefits.
The fact is that each of your military and veteran education programs have specific policies, regulations, and limitations. Not knowing how they work can led to delays, out-of-pocket expenses, embarrassment, or worse – lost benefits. Simply put, there is too much at stake to make a mistake.
For example, veterans fail to verify that a chosen degree program is approved for use with the GI Bill before enrolling. You need to keep in mind that just because a school is listed by the VA for use with GI Bill, doesn’t mean that every degree program at the school has been approved.
The VA Approves Programs, Not Schools
The VA doesn’t actually approve a school, they approve each degree program at the school. In many cases a program may not be approved yet due to the newness of the program or other technical issues.
Read about “Lessons Learned” for more examples of how not fully understanding education benefits can cost you time, money, and may end up causing you to lose your benefits.
Here are some resources to help you understand your education benefits:
- The Ultimate Guide to the Post 911 and Forever GI Bill Programs
- The Yellow Ribbon Program Explained
- Military Tuition Assistance
- What You Need to Know About Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Tips for Applying for Scholarships
Once you have are confident that you fully understand your education benefits you will be ready to take the find the college that fits your career goals.
Pre-College Checklist Review:
Here are some great resources for you:
- Need to find money for school?
- Want to save money on textbooks and school supplies?
- Need to make sure you are on the right career path?
- Want to find discounts for student veterans?