Navy Tuition Assistance: What You Need to Know
Navy Tuition Assistance Program
If you serve in the US Navy and are wanting to go to college, there are many options for you. One of these is to use the Navy Tuition Assistance program. All military branches offer Tuition Assistance (TA), but they can differ between the branches and have their own service-specific criteria.
Who is Eligible for Navy Tuition Assistance
- Qualifying active duty sailors
- Qualifying enlisted Naval Reservists who have been ordered to active duty for 120+ days.
- Qualifying Naval Reserve officers ordered to active duty for two years beyond the term end date.
RELATED: Navy Education Programs
Ways You Can Use Navy Tuition Assistance
- In the Navy, Tuition Assistance is used for classroom, independent study, and distance learning.
- You can use TA for taking associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s level courses.
- You can also use TA with certificate programs, but they must be in clock hours and approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- You may also use Navy Tuition Assistance for receiving your high school diploma, or an equivalency certificate as well as vocational and technical programs.
- TA will not cover books and materials, academic institution fees (AI) or any retakes of the same course. Tuition Assistance is only for your tuition.
- You must pay back any funds given for Tuition Assistance if you leave service before the course ends, or you quit the course for any other reasons besides personal illness, military transfer, or mission requirements. You must also pay the TA back if you fail the course.
How Do I Request Navy Tuition Assistance?
You will need to:
- Inform your command that you want to use Tuition Assistance.
- Complete the required training, including Navy Tuition Assistance training, and Navy Virtual Counseling 101 training. You can complete the training using the My Education Module.
- Receive education counseling and establish an education plan. You will work with a Navy College Education counselor to help guide you through the process of selecting a pathway to reach your goals. They will help you establish an education plan.
- Submit your education plan and review it with a counselor. You will upload your plan on My Education.
- Submit your WebTA application on the My Education Module. This must be submitted and command approved no later than 14 days before your term start date.
- Generate your voucher and send it to your educational institution. Your voucher can be found under, “Existing applications” in the My Education module.
How Much is Navy TA?
There is a fiscal year cap of $4,500 per individual. You are also limited to $250 per semester hour, $166.67 per quarter hour, and $16.67 per clock hour.
What Do I Need to Know About TA Eligibility in the Navy?
- Must be on active duty for the duration of the course term.
- Must attend an institution that is accredited by a regional, national, or professional accrediting agency that the Department of Education recognizes.
- Must receive counseling from a Navy College Education Counselor. This can be done through the Navy College Office of the Navy College Virtual Education Center.
- Must provide grades from all of your previously funded Tuition Assistance classes and reimburse all collectible grades.
If you are an officer, you must remain active duty for at least 2 years after completing the course term. This is your required service obligation.
You can look up over 2,100 schools that accept Tuition Assistance in the CollegeRecon School Search Tool.
- Tuition Assistance Overview
- Navy Education Programs
- Navy Scholarships for Military Members and Their Families
- Marines & Sailors and a New Navy Community College
OTHER TUITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS:
- National Guard Tuition Assistance
- Reserve Tuition Assistance
- Colleges Fully Covered by Tuition Assistance