A Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering for Military and VeteransIndustrial engineering uses the principles of engineering, mass production, and technology to help companies find ways to offer services or create a product efficiently. Most of the industrial engineering positions out there require a 4-year degree, however, a master’s degree will allow you to go into advanced research, management, or consulting positions in the industrial engineering field. It will also allow you to pursue a higher paying job.
According to BLS, the employment of those going into industrial engineering is projected to grow 10% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. The median annual wage in 2019, was $88,020.
Online or In-personWhen it comes to getting your master’s degree in industrial engineering, you can go to an in-person program or an online one. The benefits of an online program may appeal to working professionals or those looking for a career transition. In-person programs may appeal more to those coming from undergraduate programs or those who simply want that in-person experience.
A Master’s of Industrial EngineeringWhen you are in a master’s of industrial engineering program, depending on your area of focus, you could learn about topics such as information systems engineering, how dependent and independent variables interact, and how to turn raw materials into finished products.
Students will also learn to optimize efficiency in a variety of businesses. They will learn about common manufacturing processes, warehouse systems, and distribution methods. They will build on the skills they learned in their undergraduate programs. A master’s program will be about 30 credits, which at full-time status, will take about two years.
ConcentrationsDifferent concentrations will have different types of coursework. Here are some of the most common that you might find in a master’s of industrial engineering program:
- Regulated Management- For students who are interested in industrial engineering problems in regulated industries.
- Systems Engineering– Where students take a more holistic view of engineering and focus on how complex engineering projects should be designed and managed.
- Operations Research– Where students use scientific methods to analyze and improve management techniques and strategies.
- Logistics & Transportation Systems Engineering- Where students gain a deep understanding of the manufacturing supply chain.
- Manufacturing Systems- Where students work to design, analyze, and oversee manufacturing systems.
- Quality Control and Improvement- This class is where students would learn how to evaluate a product’s quality using common tools like control charts.
- Transportation and Supply Chain Systems- This class would teach students to oversee the life cycle of a product and gain skills in demand management, vehicle routing, and distribution planning.
- Warehousing Systems- This class would discuss warehouse layout and design and develop skills in order-picking and warehouse management.
Admission RequirementsAdmission requirements differ based on the school and program, however, most will require students to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school, to complete an application essay, and submit letters of recommendation.
Some schools might also require professional experience, but even if the school doesn’t, it can help to have that work experience to put on the application. Schools usually also want students to have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
How to Choose a ProgramThere are many different factors when choosing the right industrial engineering master’s program. Students should look at the length of each program, the course format, available concentrations, and final project requirements. Most programs are two years long, but students might also be able to find an accelerated program and be done in a year. It also might depend on if the student goes full or part-time. Students should also consider the curriculum and the cost.
Accreditation status for each program can also make a difference and can affect future career opportunities. Departments often receive programmatic accreditation from field-specific accrediting bodies. Accreditation will indicate that the program meets set standards of quality for the industrial engineering profession.
Students should look for a program with accreditation from the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Degrees from an ABET-accredited program are required for licensure examinations.
Top Master’s in Industrial Engineering ProgramsThere are many different master’s in industrial engineering programs, some are in-person, and some are online.
10 Top Master in Industrial Engineering Programs: GI Bill® Approved ProgramsHere are 10 of the top master’s in industrial engineering programs. These following schools are all GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon approved The only exception is the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. As a state school, though, the costs should not exceed the GI Bill. This of course is dependent upon your own unique situation and the program you choose.
NOTE: Please make sure that your degree program of choice is approved for both the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon with the institution you select.
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Columbia University
- The University of Southern California
- North Carolina State University
- New York University
- Texas A&M University
- The University of Central Florida
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Purdue University
- Clemson University
10 Top Online Master in Industrial Engineering ProgramsHere are 10 of the top online master’s in industrial engineering programs:
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Texas A&M University
- Clemson University
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of Southern California
- University of California at Berkeley
- Purdue University-West Lafayette
- The University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- Lehigh University
Search and select multiple degree level.
Search and select multiple area of focus.
East Tennessee State UniversityJohnson City, TNPartner School
East Tennessee University was ranked one of 2018’s best colleges and universities for military and veterans. They pride themselves on creating productive citizens who serve their communities. It’s easy to become part of this...
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBlacksburg, VAPartner School
The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Colorado State University-Fort CollinsFort Collins, CO
Colorado State University-Fort Collins Colorado State University-Fort Collins is a 4 Year, PUBLIC university located at 2545 Research Blvd, Fort Collins, CO. Students at Colorado State University-Fort Collins can enroll in bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degree...
University of ArizonaTucson, AZ
University of Arizona University of Arizona is a 4 Year, Public university located at 1401 E. University, Tucson, AZ. Students at University of Arizona can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. University...
Louisiana State University -Baton RougeBaton Rouge, LA
Louisiana State University -Baton Rouge Louisiana State University -Baton Rouge is a 4 Year, Public university located at 156 Thomas Boyd Hall, Baton Rouge, LA. Students at Louisiana State University -Baton Rouge can enroll in...
Auburn UniversityAuburn, AL
Auburn University Auburn University is a 4 Year, Public university located at Samford Hall, 182 S College St, Auburn University,, Auburn, AL. Students at Auburn University can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral...
Florida State UniversityTallahassee, FL
Florida State University Florida State University is a 4 Year, Public university located at 222 S. Copeland Street, Tallahassee, FL. Students at Florida State University can enroll in associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs.
Morehead State UniversityMorehead, KY
Morehead State University Morehead State University is a 4 Year, Public university located at University Blvd, Morehead, KY. Students at Morehead State University can enroll in associate’s, bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. Morehead...
Northwestern University Evanston CampusEvanston, IL
Northwestern University Evanston Campus Northwestern University Evanston Campus is a 4 Year, Private university located at 633 Clark St, Evanston, IL. Students at Northwestern University Evanston Campus can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral...
University of Michigan-Ann ArborAnn Arbor, MI
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is a 4 Year, Public university located at 515 EAST JEFFERSON STREET, Ann Arbor, MI. Students at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s,...
Iowa State UniversityAmes, IA
Iowa State University Iowa State University is a 4 Year, OJT university located at 3410 Beardshear Hall, Ames, IA. Students at Iowa State University can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. Iowa...
Lawrence Technological UniversitySouthfield, MI
Lawrence Technological University Lawrence Technological University is a 4-year, private university located in Southfield, MI. Students at Lawrence Technological University can enroll in associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral, and certificate degree programs. Lawrence Technol...
Jacksonville State UniversityJacksonville, AL
Jacksonville State University Jacksonville State University is a 4 Year, Public university located at 700 Pelham Road North, Jacksonville, AL. Students at Jacksonville State University can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs.
University of ArkansasFayetteville, AR
University of Arkansas University of Arkansas is a 4 Year, Public university located at Administration Bldg 425, Fayetteville, AR. Students at University of Arkansas can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, certificate, doctoral degree programs. University...
Arizona State University-TempeTempe, AZ
Arizona State University-Tempe Arizona State University-Tempe is a 4 Year, Public university located at 1151 S. Forest Ave., Tempe, AZ. Students at Arizona State University-Tempe can enroll in bachelor’s, certificate, master’s, doctoral degree programs. Arizona...
Partner Schools with Industrial Engineering Programs
- Fort Hayes State University Online
- University of Central Florida Online
- University of Cincinnati Online
Jobs With a Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering
- Logisticians- Logisticians work in many different industries, analyze and coordinate an organization’s supply chain, and the systems that move a product from supplier to consumer. Annual Median Pay in 2019: $74,750 according to BLS.
- Quality Control Inspectors- Quality Control Inspectors read blueprints and specifications, monitor operations to ensure that they meet production standards, and recommend adjustments to the assembly or production processes. Annual Median Pay in 2019: $39,140 according to BLS.
- Industrial Production Managers- Industrial Production Managers oversee the daily operations of manufacturing and related plans, coordinate plans, and direct the activities used to create a wide range of goods such as cars, computers, and other products. Annual Median Pay in 2019: $105,480 according to BLS.
- Network Consultant Engineers- Network Consultant Engineers ensure that network deployments are well-designed, they help customers with any issues, and apply any fixes that are needed. Annual Median Pay in 2020: $72,362 according to Glassdoor.
- Industrial Engineers- Industrial Engineers create and implement systems that organize a business’ employees, machines, materials, and vendors. A master’s degree in industrial engineering will allow students to find jobs as high-level engineers. Annual Median Pay in 2019: $88,020 according to BLS.
- Systems Engineers- Systems Engineers help businesses stay on top of all the most important technical knowledge that it needs to make well-informed business decisions that call for engineering fluidity to run smoothly. Annual Median Pay in 2020: $80,624 according to PayScale.