VA Form 22-5490 Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits Step-By-Step Guide

Military Education

This is a step-by-step guide to filling out VA Form 22-5490, Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits. This is the form required for both dependents and spouses to apply for Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA) or the Chapter 33 Fry Scholarship.

Read More: Survivors and Dependents’ VA Education Benefits

Read More: The John D. Fry Scholarship for Surviving Children and Spouses

This is NOT a guide on how to apply for the GI Bill, VET TEC, or how to transfer GI Bill benefits to a dependent or spouse. For those instructions, please refer to our other guides:

How To Apply For The Post 9/11 GI Bill

How To Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Course (VET TEC)

Servicemembers are advised not to use this form to apply for education benefits “based on your own service” such as the GI Bill or Veterans Readiness and Employment benefits (Chapter 31). To apply for veteran education benefits based on your own service, use VA Form 22-1990 and to apply for Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits, use VA Form 28-1900.

About Terms Used In This Guide

The terms used in this guide are those used by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Terms like “dependent” and “sponsor” are found on the VA forms. Know that in typical cases a “dependent” is someone who is not the servicemember, but who is a member of the service member’s immediate family. A “sponsor” is another term for the military member or veteran.

Getting Started

The first thing you should do is to download VA Form 22-5490. This form asks you to provide information about the military member’s service, about the type of education you seek, and you will need to provide financial data (see below). You will also need signatures from both the dependent or spouse plus the parent/guardian where applicable.

Gather Documents And Information For Your Application

What do you need to provide besides the VA form (see below) when you begin the application process? There is a list of items you’ll need to gather before you start on working your claim. They include:

  • Social Security number.
  • Bank account direct deposit information including routing number and account number.
  • Education and military history.
  • Basic information about the school or training facility you need the benefits for (see below).



Provide your SSN in the field provided. Failure to provide the SSN may result in your application being denied.


The Department of Veterans Affairs requires a binary answer for this form. Select MALE or FEMALE.


Enter your full date of birth using the format provided on the form.

  1. NAME

Enter your FULL LEGAL NAME. This form requires you to use the legal name that is on your government-issued ID. If you are in the process of changing your name, know that you are required to use whatever name or identity is currently shown on your government-issued photo ID.


Include all information including zip code.


List both home and mobile numbers where applicable, including Area Code.


Enter an email address you check frequently for best results.


You must not only fill out the fields for the routing number and account number but you will also be required to submit a voided check for use in setting up your Direct Deposit. You must indicate whether the account is checking or savings.



Include the full legal first name, middle initial, last name. The qualifying individual is the servicemember.


It’s best to indicate on the form which number you are submitting.


Enter the branch of military service in the field provided.


Enter the date of birth of the qualifying military member in the field provided.


Check Yes or No for this box if you are a child or spouse of an active duty service member or a member of the Selected Reserve and the servicemember died in the line of duty.


This field does not apply to all applicants, but if it applies to you, enter the date in the format indicated on the form.


If the answer is NO, the applicant does not qualify for a Fry Scholarship. If the answer is YES, complete item 13D.


Enter the date of death of the qualifying service member in the field provided.


Answer YES or NO.


Answer YES or NO. The VA advises that applicants are not eligible to receive benefits “for any period for which you or the qualifying individual on whose account you are claiming benefits has an outstanding felony warrant”.



Select the appropriate box for surviving spouses or dependent school-age children.



The VA advises that this date “will be verified against information entered on VA Form 21-686c, Application Request to Add And/Or Remove Dependents”.

Read More: VA Benefits: How To Add Or Remove Dependents With VA Form 21-686c


Answer YES or NO.


Answer YES or NO, but if YES, include the official date of remarriage.


This portion is more complex than most of the rest of the form. You will need to select between the Fry Scholarship and VA DEA benefits. You will select one of two choices (A and B) but your selection of benefits in this case is IRREVERSIBLE and you will need to carefully review your options before committing.


Selecting this option is irreversible. Choose carefully.


Selecting this option is irreversible. Choose carefully.



Select A or B, but know that when you choose, it is irreversible.


Applicants whose parent died in the line of duty before August 1, 2011 may apply for both DEA and Fry Scholarship benefits. Applicants eligible for both Chapter 35 (DEA) and Chapter 33 (Fry Scholarship) benefits who would like to use the Chapter 35 benefit first should select Option A.


Applicants whose parent died in the line of duty before August 1, 2011, may apply for both DEA and Fry Scholarship benefits. If you are eligible for both Chapter 35 (DEA) and Chapter 33 (Fry Scholarship) benefits and you would like to use the Chapter 33 benefit first, use Option B.

Important note: The Department of Veterans Affairs advises that those who choose Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA) or Chapter 33 Post-9/11 Fry Scholarship instead of “payments of compensation, pension, and Dependents’ Indemnity Compensation” is final and cannot be changed. For applicants 18 or older, payments of compensation, pension, and Dependents’ Indemnity Compensation (DIC) will end when approved for a DEA or Fry Scholarship.


Choose YES or NO.



If you do not know the date, skip this question. Otherwise fill in with the starting date your school has provided.


Select ONE answer from the list below:

  • CORRESPONDENCE COURSE (Fry Scholarship and DEA – Spouses only)
  • FLIGHT TRAINING (Fry Scholarship only)

Be sure to include the number, street, city, state, and zip code.


The VA asks for examples here such as seeking a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting, Welding Certificate, Police Officer training, etc.


Choose YES or NO.


Choose YES or NO.


Choose YES or NO.



Check all boxes which apply below:






Select one option below:



G. OTHER (Specify benefits)

Important note: Only complete items 28 and 29 below if you selected box E above.


Enter the full legal First, Middle, and Last name.


Enter the full legal name as above.       



Choose YES or NO. If NO, skip to Part VII


Include the following information in the boxes provided:

  1. Date entered active duty
  2. Date separated from active duty
  3. Branch of service or Guard/Reserve component
  4. Character of discharge




Select from the following:

  1. DATE (Enter in MM/DD/YYYY format. Presumably this is the date of graduation, award of a GED, or the date when the applicant discontinued high school. The Department of Veterans Affairs does not provide any additional notes or guidance on this Date entry. )

Fill in the relevant details for each applicable school including:

34B. NAME AND LOCATION OF SCHOOL including both city and state

34C. DATES OF TRAINING including stop and start date






Fill in the following boxes with the following information:


NOTE: Only complete items 36A and 36B if you are a civilian employee of the federal government.


Answer YES or NO but if YES, complete Item 36B.


Fill in any details you have about your current educational benefits as a government employee.




Use this space to add any relevant information about your application. If you need additional space, you can attach your remarks on a separate piece of paper but be sure to include your name and Social Security Number on each separate page.


This space was designed to help you include all relevant information before you submit your application.


  • ATTACH SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS (e.g., birth certificate, marriage license, DD214, etc.)



This section is informational only. No personal data is needed here.


I CERTIFY THAT all statements in my application are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.


Sign your full legal name as it appears on your government-issued ID card or license. You must be at least 18 years of age to legally sign this form. If under 18, your parent, guardian or custodian must complete and sign in Part X.


Enter the date when the form is completed.

PENALTY: Willfully false statements as to a material fact in a claim for education benefits is a punishable offense and may result in the forfeiture of these or other benefits and in criminal penalties.


This section must be completed by the parent, guardian, or custodian if the applicant is a minor.


Include the full legal name of the person signing the form as it appears on their government-issued ID card or license.


Include the number, street, city, state, and zip code.


Include the area code.


Include this information where applicable.


Check the box provided IF the applicant is under the age of 18.


Enter the date of the signature in 42A.

Post 9/11 GI Bill Application Guide for Spouses & Dependents

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is one of the most important military benefits. This guide features step-by-step instructions on how to fill out the application form and submit it to claim transferred VA Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits for qualifying military spouses and dependents.

This guide is for GI Bill applications only and not for GI Bill applications being applied for under VA Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses (VET TEC) or the National Call-To-Service program.

Read More: VA Benefits Under VET TEC and VA Benefits Under The National Call-To-Service program.

Military Spouse & Dependents’ Post 9/11 GI Bill Application Guide

This guide advises you on how to apply for transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. In order to complete the paperwork, you must apply AFTER having GI Bill benefits transferred to you and not before. If you have not had Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits transferred to you, you will need to have the service member complete that step first.

Transferring GI Bill Benefits

As mentioned above, this step-by-step application guide is written for spouses and dependents who have had GI Bill benefits transferred to them by the service member. It proceeds under the assumption that benefits have already been transferred. You cannot apply for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits as a spouse or dependent until the military member has them formally transferred to you in writing.

Read More: Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to a Spouse or Dependent

About Terms Used In This Guide

The terms used in this guide are those used by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Terms like “dependent” and “sponsor” are found on the VA forms. Know that in typical cases a “dependent” is someone who is not the servicemember, but who is a member of the service member’s immediate family. A “sponsor” is another term for a military member or veteran.

What to Know About GI Bill Entitlement

This guide is not meant to help you determine whether the servicemember is eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Learn more about GI Bill eligibility based on the era of service the veteran joined in if you are not sure. All GI Bill payments are made via Direct Deposit. To use the GI Bill you must sign up for Direct Deposit, or contact the U.S. Treasury Department to discuss their waiver policy at 1-888-224-2950.

Post 9/11 GI Bill Application Guide: Getting Started

The first thing you must do in order to begin the application process to transfer the Post 9/11 GI Bill is to determine your eligibility for the program. You can do this at the Department of Veterans Affairs official site under the heading How Do I Apply? You’ll want to do this as your preliminary step. When you go to the link above, you will navigate to How Do I Apply and answer the following questions under FIND YOUR EDUCATION FORM:

Are you applying for a benefit or updating your program or place of training?

Answer “Applying for a new benefit”.

Are you a Veteran or service member claiming a benefit based on your own service?

Answer NO.

This will open a smaller list of questions, which include:

Is your sponsor deceased, 100% permanently disabled, MIA, or a POW?

Answer Yes or No. Answering Yes reveals an APPLY NOW button which takes you to a page with VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits). You will complete this application to claim your GI Bill benefit.

Answering No opens another question:

Has your sponsor transferred their benefits to you?

Answer Yes or No. If you answer NO, you will have to wait to complete the application form until the GI Bill benefit has been transferred to you by the service member. Once the transfer has been approved by the Department of Defense (the VA does not approve or deny transfers) you can proceed to the next step, which is to complete VA Form 22-1990E (see below).

If you answer YES, an APPLY NOW button will appear, click on it to be taken to a page that links you to the online form VA Form 22-1990E (Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits). Complete this form.

What to Know About Applying Online with the VA

You will be asked to log in before starting to fill out the form. If you do NOT log in, filling out the form is practically useless since you CANNOT SAVE it unless you log in. Filling the form out without logging in and trying to log in afterward to save the form may not work.

When you log in before applying, the VA may be able to auto-fill some of your application, based on your VA account information that may already be in the system. The VA says by signing in to your account, you may be able to get an “instant decision” on your benefits claim application, depending on circumstances.

Once you log into and begin filling out your application, you can save it in progress for up to 60 days. Once you begin a GI Bill application form, you have 60 days to complete it or it may be deleted.

Before Applying for the GI Bill, Gather Your Information

What do you need to provide besides the filled-out VA claim form (see below) when you initiate this process? There is a list of items you’ll need to gather before you start working on your claim. They include:

  • Social Security number.
  • Bank account direct deposit information including routing number and account number.
  • Education and military history.
  • Basic information about the school or training facility you need the benefits for (see below).

School Selection Issues

Not all schools participate in the GI Bill program. This is one reason why school choice can be an important part of this process. If a school is not on the VA list there may be any number of reasons why.

Read More: The Best GI Bill Schools

The school may be in the process of being approved by the VA, and may not have made it through the system yet. The school may have been rejected by the VA. If your school isn’t able to accept GI Bill funds, you’ll need to find one that does or learn more about alternative school funding options.

Learn more about your alternative school funding options. You can also explore options in states that offer free college to veterans.

Starting Your Post 9/11 Transferred GI Bill Benefits Application

Once the DoD has approved the transfer request, family members can apply for transferred GI Bill benefits online, by mail, or in person.

You can also seek help from a Veteran Service Organization. You will be required to submit a VA form plus other supporting documentation as described above. There may be additional forms required depending on the school and the nature of your studies.

How to Apply for the GI Bill In Person

You can apply with help from your school’s VA Certifying Official. The official will help you or direct you to someone who can help you complete the GI Bill form described here and you will get good advice on how the process works at that financial institution.

You can also apply in person at a VA Regional office near you. If you want to apply in person, be sure to contact the regional office in advance to make an appointment or walk in depending on the availability of representatives in your area.

How to Apply for GI Bill Benefits By Mail

You can call the Department of Veterans Affairs directly at 888-442-4551 during business hours Monday through Friday to request a paper application be sent to you. Once the application is complete, send it to the VA regional claims processing office in the same area as your school.

How to Apply for GI Bill Benefits Using a Veteran Service Officer

The VA asks applicants to use the VA eBenefits portal if they decide to use a VSO to apply for these benefits. You can let the VA know you’ll use a VSO to assist you with your application via eBenefits and you can also use the portal to search for a local VSO. There is also a search tool offered by the VA Office of the General Counsel to find VA-recognized organizations and VA-accredited professionals. Veteran Service Officers typically work for Veteran Service Organizations like the DAV, AMVETS, and other entities.

Read More: What Are Veteran Service Organizations?

A VSO can help you fill out and submit VA Form 22-1990E, Application for VA Benefits. What follows in this section is step-by-step instructions for completing the form for those who want to do it themselves.

VA Form 22-1990E Application for VA Benefits Step-By-Step Guide

Start by downloading VA Form 22-1990E from the VA official site. The completion time for this form is estimated at 15 minutes. It is smart to allow for more time to complete and submit the form, there are many questions and details to be provided. It’s best not to apply for this benefit if you are pressed for time that day–wait until you can complete your application in one sitting when submitting online for the best results.

VA Form 22-1990E Step-By-Step Instructions: Page 1  of 4



Fill in the blanks with your Social Security Number. Providing the number may be labeled as “voluntary” but without the Social Security Number, you may not be able to apply for this benefit.


For GI Bill purposes, it will be necessary to use the gender currently reflected on your state government ID, military ID card, or other identification.

If you are in the process of changing your IDs to reflect your personal pronouns, know that all official communication with the VA will require the “official” gender as in your current government records. If you need assistance in this area, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000.


Enter your full date of birth in the boxes provided.

  1. NAME (First, Middle Initial, Last)

As with the gender portion of this GI Bill application, you will need to enter your name as it is currently shown on your government IDs. This is unfortunate for some, but at press time the application process has not evolved to accept variations in these identification fields.


Provide your full physical address. Providing a temporary address or a P.O. Box may delay your receipt of important communication from the VA.


Include both home and mobile numbers where applicable and always include the area code.


This is NOT an optional field. Your email address is required to complete this form.


This section asks you to provide your bank routing number and account number. Signing up for Direct Deposit is typically required for GI Bill benefits.


This section asks you to indicate whether you are a spouse or a dependent.


Answer YES or NO but if YES, provide the date earned.


The application form you are filling out can be used for multiple benefits. This guide is specifically for applying for transferred GI Bill benefits using this form.


Check Box 9A, Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.


Select the appropriate box:

    • College or another school
    • Vocational Flight Training
    • National Test Reimbursement (Sat, CLEP, Etc.)
    • Licensing / Certification Test Reimbursement (MCSE, CCNA, EMT, NCLEX, etc)
    • Preparatory Course
    • Apprenticeship / On-The-Job Training
    • Correspondence
    • Tuition Assistance Top-Up


This is a text box where you will enter the relevant details if you have them.


Another text box where you can type in the appropriate information.

That is the end of Page One of this application.

VA Form 22-1990 Step-By-Step Instructions: Page 2 of 4


The top of the second page on the upper right has a section for entering your Social Security Number. This is at the top of each page in the four-page application. Be sure to enter your SSN on each page.


Answer YES or NO but if YES, specify in the space provided.


This section should include any apprenticeship, on-the-job training, and flight training you may have taken, plus the dates attended, degree or certificate earned, etc. You will also need to provide the number of hours and the type of hours (term, semester, etc.)


Enter two jobs you have held since high school including the dates, names of employers, occupation/specialty, etc.


Answer only the questions which apply to you in this section.


Are you receiving or do you anticipate receiving any money (including but not limited to Federal Tuition Assistance) from the Armed Forces or Public Health Service for the course for which you have applied to the VA for education benefits? Answer YES or NO.


Are you receiving or do you anticipate receiving any money (including but not limited to the Government Employees Training Act) from your Agency for the same period for which you have applied to the VA for education benefits? If you will receive such benefits during any part of your training, check YES.



Enter the service member’s Social Security Number here. Failure to provide this information may result in not receiving the benefit.


Enter the appropriate branch of service here.

14. SERVICE MEMBER’S NAME (First, Middle Initial, Last)

Enter the full legal name of the service member.


Enter the full current address of the service member.


This section must be completed by the parent, guardian or custodian if the applicant is a minor. You will certify that “all statements in my application are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.”


Check the appropriate box below and sign your full legal name. Do not print your name, but use your signature the way you would on a check or a contract.




How to Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to a Spouse or Dependent

Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits to a family member may be one of the most popular military benefits available to an active duty service member and those in the Selected Reserve.

But you are not allowed to simply fill out a form and authorize your GI Bill education benefits to be transferred to your spouse or college-age child. The Department of Defense requires a new active duty service commitment in order for you to be approved to transfer your benefit.

Can I Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits?

The first thing to know about transferring your GI Bill benefit is that it is NOT up to the Department of Veterans Affairs to approve or deny your request – the Department of Defense ultimately sets the rules and decides who is allowed to transfer GI Bill benefits.

You may be able to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits if you’re on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and you meet all requirements below:

  • Complete 6 years or more of qualifying service on the date your request is approved
  • Agree to a 4-year service commitment as a condition of approval
  • The person you are transferring your benefits to is enrolled in DEERS

If your spouse or dependent is not in DEERS you will have to accomplish this before you can proceed.

Benefits for Dependents and Spouses with a Transferred GI Bill

Your spouse or dependent child may qualify for up to 36 months of benefits that may include:

  • Tuition
  • Housing
  • Books and supplies

How to Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits

The most important thing to know about transferring your GI Bill benefits to a dependent or spouse is that you must apply and be approved for the transfer while you are still serving. Once you retire or separate from military service, you cannot apply for a transfer.

To apply while you are still serving, you will apply through the Department of Defense milConnect portal, and NOT through the VA. The Department of Veterans Affairs cannot accept, process, or approve your transfer request.

To begin,

  1. Go to milConnect
  2. Select Transfer My Education Benefits. You will need a DS Logon to do this.
  3. You will apply online for the transfer approval
  4. Obtain the “retainability” needed to qualify (you agree to reenlist or to extend a commission for another 4 years)
  5. Await DoD approval

You will need to select a family member (you can agree to split the benefit among multiple immediate family members in any combination but 36 months is the limit for the entire benefit regardless of how many use it.) from the list provided (as reflected in DEERS) and for each eligible family member enter the number of months to transfer.

You may be prompted to enter a transfer end date. Doing so will cause the transferred benefit to end on that date for that person. According to the VA official site, “we recommend you leave the End Date blank as the system will provide the latest legal end date allowed.” Be advised, if you enter an end date, the VA cannot grant extensions beyond that date.

You will also be prompted to select the benefit you are transferring, acknowledge the program’s rules, and submit the request to the DoD. Once you have been approved for the transfer, your dependents or spouse may begin the application process for the GI Bill benefit itself.

Once You Have Applied to Transfer Your GI Bill

While you are still waiting for approval of the transfer, you can track your request through milConnect. If you are approved, the system will update to reflect “Transfer Approved” or “Transfer Request Approved” and the approval date.

Once you get approved status your milConnect account will also reflect indicators showing how far into your military service commitment (required to transfer the GI Bill) you have come so far, according to

  • A green message means you have fulfilled your service obligation.
  • A yellow message means you must stay in the Service until your obligation end date or risk losing eligibility to transfer education benefits.
  • Guard and Selected Reserve members must maintain an uninterrupted Selected Reserve status during the entire obligatory service time.
  • A red message means you are at risk of failing or have failed to complete your service commitment. This is typically because your separation date is before your ”obligation end date”.

After the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer Is Approved

Once the transfer is approved and the GI Bill application has been submitted and approved, there are rules dictating how the benefits can be used and when.

Rules for Military Spouses

For spouses, the GI Bill can be accessed immediately, and:

    • The spouse can use the benefit while the service member is still on active duty or after separating from service.
    • The spouse can use the benefit for up to 15 years after the servicemember retires or separates.
    • Be aware you will not qualify for the monthly housing allowance while on active duty

Rules for Dependent Children

The rules for dependent children include the following:

    • School-age dependents can use the Post 9/11 GI Bill only after the servicemember completes 10 years of service or more.
    • The benefit is available while the servicemember is on active duty or after retirement/separation.
    • The benefit cannot be used until the student has earned a high school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or has turned 18 years old.
    • Dependent children may qualify for the monthly housing allowance even when the servicemember is still on active duty
    • The dependent must use the benefit before turning 26 years old.

Dependents can still use their transferred GI Bill benefits even if they get married, or you and your spouse get a divorce. Service members and Veterans can change certain GI Bill transfer options at any time.

Apply For Transferred GI Bill Benefits

When you get your approval back from the Department of Defense your family members may apply for the GI Bill. It can be done online at the VA official site or you can apply by mail. Fill out VA Form 22-1990E and mail it to your nearest VA regional office.

What to Know if Your School Closes or is Removed From the VA Approved List

In cases where your school closes or loses approval for VA education assistance programs, legislation such as the VETS Credit Act can help. Changes to VA policy (through federal law) allow students to apply for a restoration of 100% VA education benefits.

Not all students are approved, and conditions apply. Those who do not want to transfer credits may have their restoration approved without further certifications depending on circumstances.

Students may be required to apply to a new school that will accept transfer credits before the VA will consider restoration of their entitlement. If you choose to transfer credits you may be approved for full restoration of VA education benefits–the condition is that you must transfer fewer than 12 credit hours and certify to such in writing with the VA.

Those who choose to transfer more than 12 credits will not have their benefit restored. Make an appointment with a VA representative or a school admissions advisor if you aren’t sure how these rules may apply to you.

Read more: When Your School Closes: The Veterans Eligible to Transfer School (VETS) Credit Act




The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

What to know about the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Receiving a Federal Pell Grant for your education can be an excellent way to help lower your college costs, however, not everyone qualifies for this type of financial aid. This is where the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant can come into play. This grant is a Title IV grant for dependents of service members who died in the line of duty in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11. Here is what you need to know.

Who is eligible for the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant?

To be eligible you must not be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), but you do meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements.

Pell Grant Eligibility – Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor’s, graduate, or professional degree.  There are some cases where a student enrolled in a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program might be able to receive a Federal Pell Grant.  You can read more about the Pell Grant at Pell Grant: Everything You Need to Know on College Recon.

In addition, to be eligible your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11.

You also will need to be under 24 years of age or be enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent or guardian’s death.

How do you apply for the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant?

In order to apply for this grant, you will need to submit a FAFSA form and do this for every year you are in school. Your school, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Education, will determine your eligibility for the grant.

How much is the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant?

The amount of the grant is equal to the amount of a max Federal Pell Grant for the award year, but it also can’t exceed the cost of attendance for the year. Meaning, that you won’t be getting extra money if your school doesn’t cost the maximum amount. For the 2022-2023 school year, the amount is $6,895.

It is important to note that due to the Budget Control Act of 2011, the 2021-2022 Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant that is first disbursed on or after October 1, 2021, and before October 1st, 2022, is reduced by 5.7%. The amount for the 2021-2022 school year is $6,495.

How do you receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant?

You would receive payment like you would with the Pell Grant. The exact date depends on your school and that varies. Some give out the money more quickly than others.

When can you no longer get the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant?

Once you earn a baccalaureate degree or your first professional degree or if you have used up all 12 semesters of your eligibility, you can no longer receive the grant.

You can read more about this grant on the Federal Student Aid website.






Survivors & Dependents VA Education Benefits

VA Education Benefits for Survivors & Dependents

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to dependents and survivors of our nation’s heroes.

The Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program, also known as Chapter 35 Benefits, can be used to pay for college, vocational schools, certification tests, and apprenticeships, among other things.

Eligibility for Chapter 35 Education Benefits

You may be eligible for Chapter 35 benefits if you are the spouse or child of a service member who meets any of the following criteria.

The service member:

  • Died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001
  • Is missing in action or was captured in the line of duty by a hostile force
  • Was detained by force while in the line of duty by a foreign government or power
  • Is in the hospital or getting outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability.

Additionally, you may be eligible for VA education benefits under Chapter 35 if you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran and one of the following items is true.

The Veteran:

  • Is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability
  • Died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability

For the Child of a Veteran or Service Member

The following information applies of you are the child of a Veteran or Service Member described above:

  • You can receive benefits between the ages of 18 and 26, but there are exceptions.
  • You can be either married or unmarried.
  • If you’re over 18 and using DEA, you can NOT get Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) from the VA at the same time.
  • If you join the military, you cannot use this benefit while on active duty.
  • When using the benefit after leaving the service, you must not have a dishonorable discharge.
  • While military service can extend your eligibility for this benefit, the increase does not extend past your 31st birthday.

For the Spouse of a Veteran or Service Member

The following information applies if you are the spouse of a Veteran or service member described above.

  • Your benefits start on the date of your determined eligibility, or on the date of the Veteran’s death. The benefits last 10 years.
  • If the VA rated the Veteran as “permanently and totally disabled”, with an effective date that is years after the Veteran’s discharge, you will qualify for benefits for 20 years from the effective date.
  • If the service member died on active duty, your benefits end 20 years from the date of death.
  • You can get both DIC and DEA benefits simultaneously.

Moreover, if you are a dependent or spouse who does NOT meet the above criteria, there may still be other VA education benefits you could receive, especially if the service member transferred any portion of their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.

RELATED: New Law Guarantees In-State Tuition for Survivors & Dependents

Chapter 35 Benefit Details

Once you’ve determined your eligibility, some great benefits may be applicable to your education situation. You stand to receive any of the following benefits:

  1. Education and training
  2. Money for tuition
  3. A housing stipend
  4. Money for books and supplies

The VA will send you a monthly payment that can help cover the costs associated with your education. This can include college courses, career training, education counseling, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training.

In most cases, you can receive these education benefits for up to 36 months.

Applying for Chapter 35 VA Benefits

There are two GI Bill programs that offer assistance to survivors and dependents of Veterans. For both of them you can Apply Online, or fill out a Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-5490) and mail it to the VA regional office where you want to go to school.

Find a VA Regional Office near your school.

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

The Fry Scholarship is for children and spouses of:

  • Active-duty service members who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, or
  • Members of the Selected Reserve who died from a service-connected disability on or after September 11, 2001

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program

The DEA program offers education and training to eligible dependents of Veterans who:

  • Are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or
  • Died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition

You may qualify for both the Fry Scholarship and the DEA program, but you can only use one of them. Once you decide which to use, you can’t change to the other program.

Comparing the DEA to the Fry Scholarship


DEA Program Fry Scholarship
How are payments made?

The benefit payment is sent directly to the student at the most current rate. Currently, the monthly payment for full-time payment is $1,265.

How are payments made?

Tuition and fees are paid directly to the school, which covers full in-state tuition and up to $25,162.14 per year at private or foreign schools.

The monies for books and supplies are paid directly to the student, up to $1,000 per year.

The monthly housing allowance is paid directly to the student at the local Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for an E-5 with dependents. Online students get half the national BAH average.

Duration of Benefits for Spouses:

20 years from the service members date of death if they died on active duty. Or 10 years from the date of qualification after the Veteran passes.

Duration of Benefits for Spouses:

There is no time limit to use these benefits, but they will lose them if they remarry.

Duration of Benefits for Children:

A child may use the benefits between the ages of 18 and 26.

Duration of Benefits for Children:

A child who becomes eligible on or after January 1, 2013 has no time limit to use the benefits.

MAX months of Benefits? 

45 months of the first use was before August 1, 2018. 

36 months if the first use of benefits was after August 1, 2018.

MAX months of Benefits?

36 months.

Spouse Eligible for DIC and Education Benefits?


Spouse Eligible for DIC and Education Benefits?


Programs Covered:
  • College, business, technical, or vocational programs
  • Certification tests
  • Apprenticeships
  • On-the-job training
  • Tutorial assistance
  • Work Study
Programs Covered:
  • College, business, technical, or vocational programs
  • Certification tests
  • Apprenticeships
  • On-the-job training
  • Tutorial Assistance
  • Work Study
  • Vocational Flight Training

Additionally, it is worth noting that only the Fry Scholarship can be used to pay for Flight Training.

Next Steps for Survivors and Dependents

After the loss of your Veteran or service member, your life will never be the same. You’ve endured a tragedy that few can comprehend.

Even so, to honor your loved one, take full advantage of the educational assistance available to you as a surviving spouse or child through the VA’s Chapter 35 benefits.

Your life can and will go on. Apply for Chapter 35 Benefits today!

(Image courtesy of David Kay via Shutterstock)





Law Guarantees In-State Tuition for Survivors & Dependents

On November 30, 2021, President Biden signed into law legislation that nearly guarantees in-state tuition rates for individuals using the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance program.

Colonel John M. McHugh Tuition Fairness for Survivors Act of 2021 (SB 1095)

This law requires that the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disapprove courses at institutions of higher learning that charge a higher rate of tuition and fees than those in-state rates for individuals using the Survivors’ and Dependents Educational Assistance program.

Many colleges and universities have adopted policies granting active service members in-state tuition rates while stationed in various states. This law ensures that those survivors and dependents receiving educational assistance will receive the same benefit.

However, instead of waiting for each state to pass its own version of the law, this legislation directs the VA to disapprove courses at approved institutions who are still charging out-of-state tuition rates to survivors.

What happens when a course is disapproved by the VA?

That’s an excellent question, but the text of the bill does not indicate what will happen if a course required for a program is disapproved.

The implication is that the school will be denied funding for the courses until it charges the correct tuition rate. At which point, it is assumed that the VA will approve the courses.

These changes will apply to academic periods that begin on or after August 1, 2022.

Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

This program helps pay for school and job training for approved participants. It applies to children or a spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has disabilities.

You may be eligible for Chapter 35 benefits if at least one of the following is true. The Veteran or service member:

  • Is permanently and totally disabled from a service-connected disability
  • Died while on active duty, or as a result of a service-connected disability
  • Is missing in action (MIA) or was captured in the line of duty by a hostile force
  • Was forcibly detained in the line of duty by a foreign entity
  • Is hospitalized for a service-connected disability that is permanent and total

Find out more about the eligibility requirements for spouses and dependent children of Veterans or service members who wish to use Chapter 35 assistance.

Next Steps for Using Chapter 35 Under the New Law

If you are eligible for Chapter 35 benefits and you plan to use them on or after August 1, 2022, make sure that you understand the in-state tuition rates for your institution.

You must be aware that not all schools may be tracking these changes, although they should be. If you’re still being charged out-of-state tuition rates after August 2022, let your School Certifying Official know. 

A course disapproval may impact your graduation timeline, but you should take full advantage of in-state tuition rates.

(Image courtesy of Andrey Popov via Shutterstock)


Find Scholarships and more for Military and Veterans






Army ROTC Scholarships and List of Colleges

Army ROTC: Scholarships, Colleges, and Requirements

There are a number of paths to becoming a Commissioned Officer in the United States Army. One of the most well-known is the Army ROTC scholarship program. ROTC is an acronym for Reserve Officer Training Corps. This program is available at over 1,100 military-friendly colleges and universities nationwide. Some of these schools you may have heard of:

Army ROTC Scholarships

One of the most attractive prospects of the ROTC program is the ability for students to attend college with no tuition debt. Scholarships and stipends in Army ROTC pay for college courses and help students focus on getting their degree.

ROTC scholarships pay full tuition!

These scholarships are available for:

  • High school students
  • Students currently in college
  • Enlisted soldiers who wish to become commissioned officers but do not meet the education requirements.

Scholarships are awarded based on a student’s merit and grades, NOT on financial need.

Since the cost of tuition is not standard across the country, the amount of tuition paid by each scholarship depends on the school you attend. The ROTC program is intended to pay full tuition expenses in exchange for service in the Army after graduation, as an officer in either the Active or Reserve Components.

Army ROTC Scholarships consist of:

  • 2-, 3-, and 4-year scholarship options based on the time remaining to complete your degree
  • Full-tuition scholarships
  • The option for room and board in place of tuition, if you qualify
  • A monthly stipend ($420 in 2023, your experience may vary)
  • $600 per semester for books at press time (your experience may vary)
  • Language Courses – up to $3,000 per academic year to study strategic languages in 2023, your experience may vary.

Use this location tool to find Army ROTC Colleges.  Or you can use the CollegeRecon School Finder tool to locate ROTC schools as well.

The application window for each scholarship year ends in early February. So, for students graduating high school in 2022, your application window will open later this year and close in February 2022.

4-Year College Scholarships

This option is mainly for high school students planning on attending a four-year college program. Read the following information on Requirements and Commitments.

3-Year College Scholarships

This program is available for students already enrolled in college with three academic years remaining. The following page covers the program’s Requirements.

2-Year College Scholarships

This program is tailored to those students who have already completed half of their degree and only have two academic years remaining. Here are the Requirements for the program.

Hip Pocket Scholarships

The Army ROTC program also has a Green to Gold Hip Pocket Scholarship Program that provides selected Soldiers the opportunity to complete their undergraduate degree requirements and obtain a commission by participating in the ROTC program. 

Each year, division commanders may nominate deserving Soldiers for two, three, and 4-year Green to Gold scholarships. Here are the enrollment options for Green to Gold:

    • Green to Gold Scholarship Option – For Soldiers who are considering leaving Active Duty to attend college while receiving full tuition or room and board, flat rate book payment, and a monthly stipend.
    • Green to Gold Active Duty Option – For Soldiers who want to remain on Active Duty and attend college.
    • Green to Gold Non-Scholarship – For Soldiers who are considering leaving Active Duty to attend college while receiving a monthly stipend.

Download the Hip Pocket Guide to get started. You will also want to check out the Green to Gold Scholarship application booklet.


Army ROTC Scholarship Eligibility Requirements

In order to be accepted for any ROTC Scholarship, you must meet these standards:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be between the ages of 17 and 26
  • Have a high school GPA of at least 2.50
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • Score a minimum of 1000 on the SAT (math/verbal) or 19 on the ACT (excluding the required writing test scores)
  • Pass the Army fitness test
  • Meet the physical weight and height requirements
  • Agree to accept a commission and serve in the Army on Active Duty or in Army Reserve or Army National Guard

Army ROTC Commitment

By accepting this scholarship, you agree to a commitment of

  • 8 years in the Army, Army Reserve, or Army National Guard
  • You may be eligible to serve part-time while pursuing a civilian career immediately after graduation

Simultaneous Membership Program

The Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) allows you to attend Army ROTC and serve in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard at the same time. This option gives you the opportunity for additional training and experience. Cadets will serve as officer trainees in the Army Reserve or National Guard while completing college. This option also allows you to earn Army Reserve/National Guard pay and benefits in addition to your Army ROTC allowances.

Army Partnership for Youth Success Program

The Partnership for Youth Success (PaYS) program is a strategic Army marketing and recruiting program that establishes partnership programs with a cross-section of U.S. industries and public sector agencies. ROTC Cadets enrolled in the PaYS program are eligible for a job interview and possible employment after college requirements and commissioning.

Learn more about the Army PaYS program.

Living Expenses

Army ROTC scholarships provide a $420 per month living allowance for each school year. Non-scholarship Cadets in ROTC advanced courses (juniors & seniors) also receive this allowance.


There is a ton of information on the Army’s ROTC website, but if you’re looking for something specific, the best place to start is their ROTC FAQs webpage. If you are curious about what degree programs Cadets can select or your service obligation after graduation, then check out those FAQs.


In order to apply for any of the Army’s ROTC programs, you will need to register for a Account. Don’t miss another opportunity to get that degree! Read on to check out the most current list of ROTC colleges and universities!

Army ROTC Colleges List by State

Follow the links to the ROTC pages for each school. They will provide more specific information for each program.


Alabama A&M University

  • Athens State University
  • University of Alabama – Huntsville

Auburn University

Auburn University at Montgomery

  • Alabama State University
  • Huntington College
  • Troy University

Jacksonville State University

Marion Military Institute

The University of Alabama

  • Stillman College

Tuskegee University

University of Alabama – Birmingham

  • Birmingham Southern College
  • Miles College
  • Samford University
  • University of Montevallo

University of North Alabama

University of South Alabama



University of Alaska – Anchorage

University of Alaska – Fairbanks


Arizona State University

  • Grand Canyon University

Northern Arizona University

  • Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – Prescott
  • Coconino Community College

University of Arizona

  • Pima Community College


Arkansas State University

  • Harding University
  • Lyon College
  • Arkansas State University – Beebe

University of Arkansas

  • John Brown University
  • Northeastern State University

University of Arkansas – Pine Bluff

  • Henderson State University
  • Ouachita Baptist University

University of Central Arkansas

  • Arkansas Tech University
  • Philander Smith College
  • Hendrix College
  • Central Baptist College


California Polytechnic State University – San Luis Obispo

California State University – Fresno

California State University – Fullerton

  • Biola University
  • Cerritos College
  • Chapman University
  • Cypress College
  • Fullerton College
  • Golden West College
  • Mount San Antonio College
  • Orange Coast College
  • Rancho Santiago College
  • Vanguard University
  • Whittier College

Claremont-McKenna College

  • Azusa Pacific University
  • California Baptist University
  • California State Polytechnic University – Pomona
  • California State University – San Bernardino
  • Chaffey College
  • Citrus College
  • Harvey Mudd College – Claremont
  • Loma Linda University – Loma Linda
  • Mount San Antonio College
  • Occidental College
  • Pitzer College
  • Pomona College – Claremont
  • Scripps College – Claremont
  • University of California at Riverside – Riverside
  • University of La Verne
  • University of Redlands – Redlands

San Diego State University

  • California State University San Marcos
  • Grossmont College
  • Mesa College
  • Mira Costa College
  • Miramar College
  • Palomar College
  • Point Loma Nazarene College
  • Southwestern College
  • University of California – San Diego
  • University of San Diego

Santa Clara University

  • Foothills College
  • Mission College
  • San Jose State University
  • Stanford University
  • West Valley College

University of California – Berkeley

  • California State University East Bay
  • Saint Mary’s College
  • Mills College

University of California – Davis

  • California State University – Sacramento
  • Simpson University

University of California – Los Angeles

  • California State – Los Angeles
  • Loyola Marymount University – Los Angeles
  • Pepperdine University
  • The Master’s College
  • California State University – Northridge
  • California Lutheran University

University of California – Santa Barbara

  • California State University Channel Islands
  • Westmont College
  • Santa Barbara City College

University of San Francisco

University of Southern California

  • California State University – Dominguez Hills
  • California State University – Long Beach


Colorado State University

  • The University of Northern Colorado
  • Front Range Community College – Larimer Campus

University of Colorado – Boulder

  • Colorado Christian University
  • Colorado School of Mines
  • Colorado Technical University
  • Metropolitan State College of Denver
  • Regis University
  • University of Colorado at Denver
  • University of Denver

University of Colorado at Colorado Springs

  • Colorado Christian University
  • Colorado State University of Pueblo
  • Colorado Technical University
  • DeVry University – Colorado Springs Campus
  • National American University
  • Regis University
  • University of Phoenix


University of Connecticut

University of New Haven


University of Delaware

  • Delaware State University
  • Wesley College
  • Salisbury State University
  • University of Maryland Eastern Shore
  • Wilmington College
  • Lincoln University (PA)


Georgetown University

  • American University
  • Catholic University of America
  • George Washington University

Howard University

  • University of the District of Columbia
  • Trinity University
  • Corcoran College of Art and Design


Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

  • Bethune-Cookman College
  • Stetson University

Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University

Florida Institute of Technology

  • Eastern Florida State College

Florida International University

  • Barry University
  • Broward College
  • Florida Atlantic University
  • Florida Memorial University
  • NOVA Southeastern University
  • Miami Dade College
  • Palm Beach Atlantic University
  • University of Miami

Florida Southern College

  • Southeastern University
  • Polk State College

Florida State University

University of Central Florida

University of Florida

  • Santa Fe College
  • University of North Florida

University of South Florida

  • Clearwater Christian College
  • Saint Leo University
  • Saint Pete College

University of Tampa

University of West Florida


Columbus State University

Fort Valley State University

  • Albany State University

Georgia Institute of Technology

  • Agnes Scott College
  • Emory University
  • Kennesaw State University
  • Southern Polytechnic State University

Georgia Military College

  • Georgia College State University
  • Mercer University

Augusta University

  • USC – Aiken
  • Troy University – Augusta
  • Paine College

Georgia Southern University

  • Armstrong Atlantic State University
  • Savannah State University

Georgia State University

  • Clark Atlanta University
  • Clayton State University
  • Morehouse College
  • Spelman College

University of North Georgia

University of Georgia


University of Hawaii at Manoa

  • Brigham Young University – Hawaii
  • Chaminade University of Honolulu
  • Hawaii Pacific University


Boise State University

  • Brigham Young University – Idaho
  • Idaho State University
  • Northwest Nazarene University

University of Idaho

  • Lewis-Clark State College


Eastern Illinois University

Illinois State University

Northern Illinois University

Southern Illinois – Carbondale

Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville

  • McKendree College
  • Southwestern Illinois College
  • Lewis and Clark College

University of Illinois – Chicago

  • Chicago State University
  • DePaul University
  • Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Indiana University Northwest
  • Northeastern Illinois University
  • Purdue University – Calumet
  • Robert Morris College

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Western Illinois University

  • Monmouth College

Wheaton College

  • Olivet Nazarene University
  • Lewis University
  • North Central College
  • Benedictine University
  • Aurora University
  • DeVry University – Addison
  • University of St. Francis
  • Elmhurst College

Loyola University

  • DePaul
  • Northwestern
  • North Park
  • Northeastern
  • Resurrection University


Ball State University

  • Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne
  • Indiana Wesleyan University

Indiana University – Purdue University at Indianapolis (IUPUI)

  • Butler University
  • Franklin College
  • Marian College
  • University of Indianapolis

Indiana University at Bloomington

Purdue University

  • Wabash College

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

  • DePauw University
  • Indiana State University
  • University of Evansville
  • University of Southern Indiana

University of Notre Dame

  • Bethel College
  • Holy Cross College
  • Indiana University of South Bend (IUSB)
  • Saint Mary’s College
  • Valparaiso University


Iowa State University

  • Drake University
  • Grand View College
  • Buena Vista University

University of Iowa

  • Coe College

University of Northern Iowa

  • University of Dubuque
  • Loras College


Kansas State University

Pittsburg State University

  • Wichita State University
  • Garden City Community College

University of Kansas

  • Baker University
  • Haskell Indian Nations University
  • Johnson County Community College
  • Kansas City Kansas Community College
  • Mid-American Nazarene College
  • University of Saint Mary College
  • Washburn University of Topeka


Eastern Kentucky University

  • Union College
  • University of the Cumberlands

Morehead State University

University of Kentucky

  • Asbury University
  • Centre College
  • Transylvania University
  • Georgetown College
  • Midway College
  • Kentucky State University

University of Louisville

  • Bellarmine University
  • Indiana University Southeast
  • Spalding University

Western Kentucky University


Grambling State University

  • Louisiana Tech University
  • University of Louisiana at Monroe

Louisiana State University

Northwestern State University

Southern University and A&M College

Tulane University


University of Maine

  • Colby College
  • Husson College
  • Thomas College
  • University of Maine at Augusta


Bowie State University

Loyola University Maryland

  • Goucher College
  • Towson State University
  • College of Notre Dame of Maryland

McDaniel College

  • Hood College
  • Mount St. Mary’s University

Morgan State University

  • Coppin State University

The Johns Hopkins University

  • Maryland Institute College of Art
  • Stevenson University
  • University of Baltimore
  • University of Maryland at Baltimore
  • University of Maryland – Baltimore County

University of Maryland at College Park

  • University of Maryland University College


Boston University

  • Babson College
  • Bentley College
  • Brandeis University
  • Bridgewater State College
  • Curry College
  • Eastern Nazarene College
  • Fisher College
  • Massachusetts Maritime Academy
  • Stonehill College
  • University of Massachusetts – Boston
  • University of Massachusetts – Dartmouth

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

  • Endicott College
  • Gordon College
  • Harvard University
  • Salem State College
  • Tufts University
  • Wellesley College

Northeastern University

  • Berklee College of Music
  • Boston College
  • Emerson College
  • Emmanuel College
  • Framington State University
  • Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
  • Northeastern University
  • Regis College
  • Simmons College
  • Suffolk University
  • Wentworth Institute of Technology

University of Massachusetts

  • American International College
  • Amherst College
  • Hampshire
  • Mount Holyoke College
  • Smith College
  • Springfield College
  • Western New England University
  • Westfield State College

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

  • Anna Maria College
  • Assumption College
  • Becker College
  • Clark University
  • College of the Holy Cross
  • Daniel Webster College
  • Fitchburg State College
  • Nichols College
  • University of Massachusetts – Lowell
  • Worcester State College


Central Michigan University

  • Ferris State University at Big Rapids Michigan
  • Northwood University
  • Saginaw Valley State University
  • Alma College

Eastern Michigan University

  • University of Detroit Mercy

Michigan State University

Michigan Technological University

  • Finlandia University

Northern Michigan University

University of Michigan

  • University of Michigan – Dearborn
  • University of Michigan – Flint
  • Wayne State University

Western Michigan University

  • Calvin College
  • Grand Valley State University
  • Davenport University
  • Albion College
  • Cornerstone
  • Hope College
  • Aquinas College
  • Olivet College


Minnesota State University – Mankato

  • Bethany Lutheran College
  • Gustavus Adolphus College

Saint John’s University

  • College of Saint Benedict
  • Saint Cloud State University

University of Minnesota – Twin Cities

  • Augsburg College
  • Bethel University
  • Concordia University
  • Crown College
  • Hamline University
  • Macalester College
  • Metropolitan State University
  • St. Catherine University
  • North Central University
  • University of Northwestern – St. Paul
  • University of St. Thomas


Alcorn State University

Jackson State University

  • Mississippi College
  • Mississippi Valley State University
  • University of MC School of Nursing

Mississippi State University

University of Mississippi

University of Southern Mississippi

  • William Carey College


Lincoln University

Missouri State University

  • College of the Ozarks
  • Drury University
  • Evangel University
  • Southwest Baptist University

Missouri University of Science and Technology

Missouri Western State University

  • Benedictine College
  • Northwest Missouri State University
  • Rockhurst College
  • University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC)

Truman State University

University of Central Missouri

University of Missouri – Columbia

  • Central Methodist University
  • Columbia College

Washington University in Saint Louis

  • Lindenwood University
  • University of Missouri Saint Louis
  • Saint Louis University
  • Webster University
  • Missouri Baptist University
  • Maryville University
  • Harris-Stowe State University
  • Fontbonne University


Montana State University

  • MSU Billings
  • Rocky Mountain College

University of Montana

  • Carroll College


Creighton University

  • University of Nebraska – Omaha

University of Nebraska – Lincoln

  • University of Nebraska – Kearney
  • Doane University
  • Nebraska Wesleyan University
  • Concordia University

Chadron State College


University of Nevada – Reno

  • University of Nevada – Las Vegas

New Hampshire

University of New Hampshire

  • Colby-Sawyer College
  • Daniel Webster College
  • Franklin Pierce College
  • Keene State College
  • Plymouth State College
  • Saint Anslem College
  • Saint Joseph’s College
  • Southern New Hampshire University
  • University of New England
  • University of Southern Maine

New Jersey

Princeton University

  • The College of New Jersey
  • Rowan University
  • Rutgers University – Camden

Rutgers University

Seton Hall University

  • Bloomfield College
  • Caldwell College
  • Drew University
  • Fairleigh Dickinson University
  • Kean University
  • Montclair State University
  • New Jersey City University
  • New Jersey Institute of Technology
  • Ramapo College
  • Rutgers University – Newark
  • Saint Peter’s College
  • Stevens Institute of Technology
  • Union County College
  • University of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ
  • William Paterson University

New Mexico

New Mexico Military Institute

New Mexico State University

University of New Mexico

New York

Canisius College

  • SUNY Buffalo
  • SUNY Buffalo State
  • Daemen
  • D’Youville
  • Medaille
  • Hilbert

City University of New York (CUNY)

  • Baruch College
  • Brooklyn College
  • The City College of New York
  • College of Staten Island
  • Hunter College
  • John Jay College of Criminal Justice
  • Lehman College
  • Medgar Evers College
  • New York City College of Technology
  • Queens College
  • York College

Clarkson University

  • SUNY Canton
  • SUNY Potsdam
  • Saint Lawrence University

Cornell University

  • Elmira College
  • Ithaca College
  • SUNY Binghamton
  • SUNY College at Cortland

Fordham University

  • Baruch College
  • CUNY Baruch College
  • CUNY Hunter College
  • CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice
  • CUNY LaGuardia
  • CUNY Lehman College
  • CUNY York College
  • City College
  • College of Aeronautics
  • College of Mount Saint Vincent
  • College of New Rochelle
  • Columbia University
  • Columbia University Teachers College
  • Cooper Union
  • Fairleigh Dickinson University
  • Iona College
  • Long Island University
  • Manhattan College
  • Manhattanville College
  • Marist College
  • Marymount College
  • Mercy College
  • Monroe College
  • Mount Saint Mary’s College
  • New School for Social Research
  • New York Law School
  • New York University
  • Pace University – New York
  • Polytechnic University
  • Pratt Institute
  • Saint Francis College
  • Vassar College
  • Wagner College
  • Marist College
  • SUNY New Paltz

Hofstra University

  • Adelphi University
  • Dowling College
  • Long Island University – C.W. Post
  • Molloy College
  • SUNY Stony Brook
  • SUNY Farmingdale
  • SUNY Old Westbury
  • New York Institute of Technology
  • Nassau Community College
  • Suffolk Community College

Niagara University

  • Buffalo State College

Rochester Institute of Technology

  • University of Rochester
  • Nazareth College
  • Monroe Community College
  • Saint John Fisher College
  • SUNY College at Geneseo
  • Finger Lakes Community College

SUNY Brockport

Saint Bonaventure University

  • Houghton College
  • University of Pittsburgh at Bradford
  • Alfred University
  • SUNY Jamestown Community College
  • SUNY Alfred State

Saint John’s University New York

  • Brooklyn College
  • CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice
  • Columbia University
  • Medgar Evers College
  • Pace University – New York
  • Queens College
  • College of Staten Island
  • Wagner College
  • York College

Siena College

  • Albany Law School
  • College of Saint Rose
  • Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
  • Russell Sage College
  • SUNY Albany
  • Union College

Syracuse University

  • Cazenovia College
  • Colgate University
  • Hamilton College
  • Lemoyne College
  • SUNY College at Oswego
  • SUNY College of Environment Science & Forestry
  • SUNY College of Technology
  • SUNY at Morrisville
  • Utica College

North Carolina

Appalachian State University

Campbell University

  • Fayetteville State University
  • Methodist College
  • University of North Carolina at Pembroke

Duke University

  • North Carolina Central University

East Carolina University

Elizabeth City State College

North Carolina A&T State University

  • Elon University
  • Guilford College
  • High Point University
  • University of North Carolina – Greensboro

North Carolina State University

Saint Augustine’s University

  • North Carolina Wesleyan College
  • William Peace University
  • Shaw University

University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill

University of North Carolina – Charlotte

  • Belmont Abbey College
  • Davidson College (ROTC Cadets receive 50% room and board)
  • Gardner-Webb University (ROTC Cadets receive 100% room and board)
  • Pfeiffer University
  • Queens University of Charlotte
  • Wingate University
  • Winthrop University
  • Central Piedmont Community College

Wake Forest University

  • Salem College
  • Winston-Salem State University

North Dakota

North Dakota State University

  • Concordia College
  • Minnesota State University – Moorhead

University of North Dakota


Bowling Green State University

  • Heidelberg College
  • Ohio Northern University
  • Tiffin University
  • University of Findlay
  • University of Northwestern Ohio
  • Mercy College

Capital University

  • Denison University
  • Franklin University
  • Ohio Dominican University
  • Otterbein University
  • DeVry University
  • Columbus State Community College
  • Ohio Wesleyan University

Central State University

  • Cedarville University
  • Wilberforce University
  • Urbana University

John Carroll University

  • Baldwin Wallace University
  • Case Western Reserve University
  • Cleveland State University
  • Notre Dame College of Ohio
  • Ursuline College

Kent State University

  • Mount Union College
  • Youngstown State University

Ohio University

The Ohio State University

The University of Akron

The University of Toledo

  • Lourdes University, OH
  • Adrian College, MI

University of Cincinnati

University of Dayton

Wright State University

Xavier University


Cameron University

Oklahoma State University

University of Central Oklahoma

University of Oklahoma


Oregon State University

  • Corban College
  • Western Oregon University
  • Willamette University

University of Oregon

  • Southern Oregon University
  • Eastern Washington University

University of Portland

  • Lewis and Clark College
  • Portland State University
  • Washington State University
  • Eastern Oregon University


Bucknell University

  • Bloomsburg University of PA
  • Lycoming College
  • Pennsylvania College of Technology
  • Susquehanna University

Dickinson College

  • Franklin and Marshall College
  • Gettysburg College
  • Millersville University
  • Pennsylvania State University – Harrisburg

Drexel University

  • LaSalle University
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Saint Joseph’s University
  • Thomas Jefferson University
  • University of the Sciences – Philadelphia

Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

  • Allegheny College

Gannon University

  • Mercyhurst College
  • Penn State Erie, the Behrend College

Indiana University of Pennsylvania

  • St. Francis University
  • Mount Aloysius College
  • University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown

Lehigh University

  • Albright College
  • Alvernia University
  • DeSales University
  • Kutztown University
  • Lafayette College
  • Lehigh Carbon Community College
  • Moravian College
  • Muhlenberg College
  • Northampton Community College
  • Pennsylvania State University – Berks
  • Pennsylvania State University – Lehigh Valley

Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania

  • Mansfield University of Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State University

  • PSU – Hazleton
  • PSU – Altoona

Shippensburg University

  • Pennsylvania State University – Mont Alto
  • Wilson College

Slippery Rock University

  • Westminster College

Temple University

University of Pittsburgh

  • California University of Pennsylvania
  • Washington & Jefferson College
  • Duquesne University
  • LaRoche College
  • Point Park University
  • Carnegie Mellon University
  • Robert Morris University
  • Franciscan University of Steubenville Ohio
  • University of Pittsburgh – Greensburg
  • Saint Vincent College
  • Seton Hill University

University of Scranton

  • Baptist Bible College
  • East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
  • Keystone College
  • King’s College
  • Lackawanna College
  • Luzerne County Community College
  • Marywood University
  • Misericordia University
  • Pennsylvania State University – Wilkes-Barre
  • Pennsylvania State University – Worthington
  • Wilkes University

Valley Forge MIlitary College

Widener University

  • Cheyney University
  • Neumann University
  • Penn State Brandywine
  • Pennsylvania State University – Abington
  • Villanova University
  • West Chester University

Rhode Island

Providence College

  • Bryant University
  • Brown University
  • Johnson and Wales University
  • Rhode Island School of Design
  • Rhode Island College
  • University of Massachusetts – Dartmouth
  • Community College of Rhode Island
  • Bristol Community College

University of Rhode Island

  • Roger Williams University
  • Salve Regina University

South Carolina

Clemson University

  • Anderson College
  • Tri County Tech College

Furman University

  • North Greenville College

Presbyterian College

  • Lander University
  • Newberry College

South Carolina State University

  • Claflin University
  • Denmark Technical
  • Voorhees College

The Citadel

  • Charleston Southern University
  • College of Charleston

University of South Carolina

  • Benedict College
  • Coastal Carolina University
  • Francis Marion University
  • Morris College

Wofford College

  • Limestone College
  • University of South Carolina Upstate

South Dakota

South Dakota School of Mines

  • Black Hills State University
  • National American University

South Dakota State University

University of South Dakota

  • Mount Marty College


Austin Peay State University

Carson-Newman University

  • Lincoln Memorial University

East Tennessee State University

Middle Tennessee State University

Tennessee Tech University

The University of Memphis

  • Christian Brothers University
  • Rhodes College

University of Tennessee at Knoxville

  • University of Tennessee – Chattanooga

University of Tennessee at Martin

  • Bethel University
  • Freed Hardeman University
  • Lane College
  • Murray State University

Vanderbilt University

  • Belmont University
  • Fisk University
  • Lipscomb University
  • Tennessee State University
  • Trevacca Nazarene University
  • Welch College


Prairie View A&M University

Saint Mary’s University

  • Our Lady of the Lake University
  • Saint Phillip’s College
  • University of the Incarnate Word
  • Trinity
  • Northeast Lakeview

Sam Houston State University

Stephen F. Austin State University

  • Angelina College

Tarleton State University

  • Central Texas College
  • Texas A&M University – Central Texas
  • University of Mary Hardin Baylor

Texas A&M University – College Station

Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi

  • Del Mar College

Texas A&M University – Kingsville

  • Texas A&M International University

Texas Christian University

  • Baylor University

Texas State University

Texas Tech University

  • Lubbock Christian University
  • Wayland Baptist University

The University of Texas at Arlington

  • Dallas Baptist University
  • Southern Methodist University
  • Texas A&M at Commerce
  • University of Dallas
  • University of Texas at Dallas

The University of Texas at Austin

  • Concordia University at Austin
  • Huston-Tillitson College
  • Saint Edward’s University

University of Houston

  • Houston Baptist University
  • Texas Southern University
  • Texas Women’s University
  • University of Houston – Downtown
  • University of Saint Thomas
  • University of Texas Health Science Center
  • William Marsh Rice University

University of Texas – El Paso

University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley

  • University of Texas at Brownsville
  • South Texas College

University of Texas at San Antonio

  • San Antonio College
  • University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
  • Palo Alto College
  • Northwest Vista College
  • Wayland Baptist University
  • Texas A&M San Antonio


Brigham Young University

  • Dixie State University
  • Southern Utah University
  • Utah Valley University

University of Utah

  • Westminster College

Weber State University

  • Utah State University


Norwich University

  • Dartmouth College

University of Vermont

  • Castleton State College
  • Champlain College
  • Johnson State College
  • Middlebury College
  • Saint Michael’s College


College of William and Mary

  • Christopher Newport University

George Mason University

Hampton University

James Madison University

Norfolk State University

Old Dominion University

  • Virginia Wesleyan College

University of Richmond

  • Hampden-Sydney College
  • Longwood University
  • Randolph Macon College
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Virginia Union University

University of Virginia

  • Liberty University

Virginia Military Institute

  • Mary Baldwin College
  • Washington and Lee University

Virginia State University

Virginia Tech

  • Radford University


Central Washington University

Eastern Washington University

Gonzaga University

  • Whitworth University

Pacific Lutheran University

  • Central Washington University Tacoma – Pierce College
  • St. Martin’s University – Lacey
  • University of Puget Sound – Tacoma
  • University of Washington Tacoma Campus – Tacoma

Seattle University

University of Washington

  • Northwest University
  • Seattle Pacific University

Washington State University

West Virginia

Marshall University

West Virginia State University

  • University of Charleston
  • West Virginia University Institute of Technology

West Virginia University

  • Fairmont State College
  • Waynesburg College


Marquette University

  • Carroll College
  • Milwaukee School of Engineering
  • University of Wisconsin – Concordia
  • University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
  • University of Wisconsin – Parkside

University of Wisconsin – La Crosse

  • Saint Mary’s College of Minnesota
  • Viterbo University
  • Winona State University

University of Wisconsin – Madison

  • University of Wisconsin – Whitewater
  • Maranatha Baptist University
  • Edgewood College

University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh

  • Bellin College of Nursing
  • Marian College of Fon Du Lac
  • Ripon College
  • Saint Norbert College
  • University of Wisconsin – Green Bay

University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point

  • University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire
  • University of Wisconsin – River Falls
  • University of Wisconsin – Stout


University of Wyoming

Puerto Rico

University of Puerto Rico – Mayaguez

  • University of Virgin Islands – St. Croix

University of Puerto Rico – Rio Piedras


University of Guam

(Image courtesy of the U.S. Army)


Search Colleges and Universities with ROTC Scholarship Programs





Army Emergency Relief Scholarship Update

Update on the Army Emergency Relief Scholarship

The Army Emergency Relief (AER) program offers an annual scholarship: the MG James Ursano Scholarship Program. This is a need-based scholarship established to assist children of Army Soldiers obtain their first undergraduate degree.

Assistance through this scholarship may be available for up to 4 academic years if applicants meet certain eligibility requirements. However, reapplication each year is required. Generally, eligibility is based on the dependent status of the applicant.

The award amount varies each year and based on the number of applicants. Additionally, other factors affecting the amount of aid include a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the average cost of attendance at a United States college or university. 

The application cycle runs from 1 January through 1 April, 2022. 

Follow these links for more information:

2022 – 2023 Program Guidelines

2022 – 2023 FAFSA Instructions

The Namesake of the Army Emergency Relief Scholarship

Major General James Ursano retired from active duty in 1976 and then served for 10 years as the Director of Army Emergency Relief. When he passed away in 1996, the AER Scholarship for Dependent Children was renamed the MG James Ursano Scholarship Fund, in honor of the General’s life and service to Soldiers and their families.

Other Scholarship Opportunities

Check out these other amazing scholarship resources:

You can find these and other scholarship opportunities by using College Recon’s exclusive Scholarship Finder. Also, our School Finder will help you find GI Bill approved programs, Yellow Ribbon schools, as well as other military friendly colleges.  So, finding your next program just got that much easier!

(Image courtesy of the U.S. Army)


Find Scholarships for military, veterans and their families





10 Scholarships for Marines and Their Families

Scholarships for Marines and Their Families

Going to college or seeking a professional certification or license can be a costly endeavor. Luckily, there are scholarship opportunities for Marines, their children, and their spouses. Check out these ten scholarship opportunities that can make enrolling in a military friendly college more cost-efficient, so you can pursue your career goals.

The Marine Reserve Officers Training Corps (Marine ROTC)

The Marine ROTC Program is done in conjunction with normal college or university courses. The scholarship offers full tuition coverage, a $750 stipend for textbooks per academic year, and a monthly subsistence allowance based on the year of college. This scholarship opportunity is available for two-year, three-year, and four-year college degree programs.

To be eligible for this scholarship opportunity you must qualify physically by the Marine Corps standards, have no criminal record, and possess a qualifying score on a college entrance exam. Visit their website to learn more or apple for the scholarship.

Naval-Marine Corps Relief Society Education Assistance

This education assistance program consists of interest-free loans and grants for undergraduate and master’s degree students attending an accredited two-year or four-year post-secondary, technical, or vocational institution within the United States. The program assistance ranges from $500 to $3,000 per academic year. The funds received through the program can be used for room and board, tuition, books, and other fees. You will be able to apply for the 2022-2023 school year on January 1, 2022. Check their website for more details.

Who’s Eligible

    • Children of active duty or retired Sailors and Marines
    • Spouses of active duty or retired Sailors and Marines
    • Children of deceased Sailors or Marines
    • Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) or MECP students

Marines’ Memorial Family Scholarship

The Marines’ Memorial Association provides eight Scholarships a year typically ranging from $2,500 to $5,000. To qualify you will need to provide two reference letters, provide your most recent transcripts, provide a 500-word response to two application questions, and be currently attending a full-time accredited undergraduate program. Applications are usually due in April. Visit their website for more details.

Who’s Eligible

    • Member of the Marines’ Memorial
    • A child of a member
    • A grandchild of a member

Marines’ Memorial Tribute Scholarship

The Marines’ Memorial Tribute Scholarships hands out eight scholarships a year between $2,500 and $5,000. To qualify you must be a full-time student attending an accredited non-profit undergraduate program or graduate program within the United States. To qualify you will need to provide your most recent transcripts, DD-214, two reference letters, and a 500-word response to two application questions, Applications are generally due in April. Please visit their website to learn more.

Who’s Eligible

    • Those who have honorably served in any branch of the US Armed Forces and EAS’ed or moved to reserve status in the past three years

Women Marines Association Scholarship (WMA)

The scholarship amounts are between $500 and $5,000. The grant can be used at any accredited university, college, or college-level trade school. The application period is February 1st through March 31. To be considered you will need to be sponsored by a WMA member. Visit their website for program details.

Who’s Eligible

    • Those who have served
    • Currently serving in the United States Marine Corps or Reserve
    • Direct descendant
    • Siblings
    • A descendant of a sibling
    • Marine Corps JROTC program participants

Direct descendants, siblings, descendants of siblings must be of blood relation, legally adopted, or a stepchild of a Marine who honorably served in the United States or who is currently on active duty.

Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation (MCSF)

The scholarship amounts are generally between $1,500 to $10,000 per year. Scholarships awarded to surviving Marine Corps children can receive up to $20,000 each. The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation (MCSF) is renewable for up to four years. Applicants will need to provide a Statement of Service or a DD-214, the college must be listed on the National Center for Education Statistic’s College Navigator, gross income is less than $103,000, the application must be completed every year, scholarships are for undergraduate study only. Students are required to maintain a 2.0 GPA to remain eligible. Members who were dishonorably discharged are not eligible. Check the program details here.

Who’s Eligible

Child of:

      • Active duty, veteran, or reserve of Marine Corps
      • Marine killed while serving in the Marine Corps
      • Active duty, veteran, or reserve Navy Corpsman who is attached to a Marine Corps unit
      • Active duty, veteran, or reserve Navy Corpsman who was killed while serving with a Marine Corps unit
      • Navy Chaplain or Religious Programs Specialist who is attached to a Marine Corps unit
      • Navy Chaplain or Religious Programs Specialist who was killed while serving with a Marine Corps unit

1st Marine Division Association Scholarships Fund

The Scholarship award amounts can be up to $2,500. The scholarships are for those pursuing bachelor’s degrees at accredited four-year or two-year colleges and universities. Vocational-tech schools are also eligible. Students will need to submit a Standard Form 180 to verify service in the First Marine Division. Visit their program website for more details.

Who’s Eligible

    • Dependents of deceased or missing in action veterans of the 1st Marine Division
    • Dependents of 100% disabled veterans of the 1st Marine Division
    • Children of active members of the 1st Marine Division Association

Marine Corps Tankers Association Scholarship Program

Eligible applicants must be a graduating high school senior or a full-time student at an accredited junior college, four-year college, or university. Scholarship recipients may apply for the scholarship for four years and will need to show increased achievements on each new application. Applicants will need to include an application form, essay, proof of full-time student status, official school transcripts and status, two letters of recommendation, and showcase extracurricular or school activities. The committee will evaluate and approve based on need. Applications are due no later than March 30 each year. Visit their website for more information.

Who’s Eligible

    • Children of Marine Corps Tankers
    • Spouse of Marine Corps Tankers
    • Grandchildren of Marine Corps Tankers
    • Dependents of any military member who served in a Marine Corps Tank Battalion
    • Active-duty Marine Tanker or Marine serving with a Marine Tank Unit
    • Reserve Marine Tanker or Marine serving with a Marine Tank Unit

Marine Corps League National Scholarships

The scholarship is for students seeking undergraduate college degrees or technical school credentials on a full-time basis. Students must currently have a 3.0 GPA and be enrolled as a full-time student. You can receive the scholarship a maximum of four times, the scholarship must be applied for each year. Visit their website for more program details.

Who’s Eligible

    • Paid members of the Marine Corps League
    • Paid members of the Marine Corps League Auxiliary
    • Children of Marines, FMF Navy Corpsmen, and Navy Chaplains serving with a Marine Unit who was killed in action

National Military Family Association (NMFA)

The scholarship average award amount is $1,000. Applications are accepted year-round starting in October. This scholarship can be used for different education or career advancements such as college degrees, certifications, licensing, and business expenses. Visit their website for more details and to apply.

Who’s Eligible

    • Spouse of an Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Space Force, Coast Guard and Commissioned Corps of the USPHS and NOAA
    • Spouse of a retired, medically retired, wounded, or fallen military member (must have taken place after September 11, 2001)
    • Dual Service military spouse


Once you find the right scholarship make sure to carefully check the program details and requirements. It is important to meet program deadlines and submit the necessary documentation to meet the scholarship requirements and prove eligibility.


Find more Scholarships for Military and Veterans





Sending Your Child to College During Covid-19

Sending Your Child to College During Covid-19

The transition to campus life is a milestone military kids tend to excel at. Family separations and frequent moves have made them adaptable, mature, and resourceful. Spending four years on the same college campus without having to change schools is a prospect many find awesome.

Suddenly they’ve found themselves coming of age in the midst of a global pandemic. Spring semester has already been disrupted, impacting their social lives, activities, and traditions — not to mention their academics. Many students find distance learning difficult and dreary, and homes tend to be filled with distractions.

Fall is fast approaching and colleges and universities around the country are still making decisions about what to do. The challenge is there’s no uniform game plan. Some schools in the same geographic areas have radically different strategies.

Many Schools Still Planning on In-Person Fall Semesters

According to a July 5, 2020 article published by the Chronicle of Higher Education, 60% of colleges and universities are planning for an in-person fall semester, 23% are preparing an online-in-person hybrid plan, 8% are going online only, and the remaining 9% are still considering a range of scenarios and waiting to decide.

Helping your college-bound student sort out the situation and adjust to the new normal is no small task, especially if you’re new to navigating the world of higher education.

This situation has taken a toll on morale. According to a June 2020 survey by Junior Achievement and the PMI Educational Foundation, 49% of the Class of 2020 have changed their college plans as a result of the crisis, and 35% report they’re now less excited to go to college than they were before the pandemic.

Historically young people have flocked to colleges during recessions, but that currently isn’t the case. A significant number of students who’ve changed plans intend to work even though the job market is shaky. Taking a gap year for any reason is a serious decision because many students who opt for that break never return to school.

Commuter College

One popular option for staying safe and maintaining educational momentum during the pandemic is a commuter college. In addition to logistical practicality, it’s a money-saving choice.

If you’re foregoing the commuter route and sending your child away to college, you’ll need to set your minds for the new normal.

Getting Used to the New Normal

It’s especially important for students to know and understand the rules and policies up front because most schools will be taking a harder line than usual.

Students who chronically disobey the Covid-19 measures stand to be sent home. There’s a good reason for this. While young people tend to be less likely to get seriously ill from the virus, older faculty, staff members, and many citizens in the surrounding communities are vulnerable. Dining-hall staff and custodians, for example, not only face significant workplace risks, but many are part of vulnerable populations and/or live in multigenerational households.

10 Things You Can Probably Expect

  1. Virus testing will be mandatory and anyone testing positive will be quarantined.
  2. Social distancing will be in effect and face masks will be mandatory in some settings.
  3. Some common areas may be closed.
  4. Plastic barriers may be up in areas where it’s hard to stay apart.
  5. Dorms will will be nowhere near capacity.
  6. Single rooms will go to immuno-compromised students.
  7. Classroom desks will be arranged six feet apart. Forget big lectures in packed auditoriums.
  8. Class and dining hall schedules may be staggered.
  9. An outbreak could force classes back online.
  10. Some smaller schools may prohibit students from leaving campus.

In times like these, support from others who are facing the same challenges can be invaluable. If you’re sending a child to college this fall, you may want to join this closed and private Facebook Group: Military Kids: Growing, Going, Gone.

Additional Resources:






College and Career Prep Programs for Military Connected High Schoolers

College and Career Prep Programs for Military Connected High Schoolers

The whirlwinds of military life and PCSs can make time seem to move in fast forward. This can feel especially true for active duty families with dependents on their way to high school or college.

Understanding the resources available can help with making decisions as to which school will best support students in success after high school. Choosing the right school district is one challenging aspect of PCSing.

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children

Did you know, that most military children have changed schools 6-9 times by the time they complete high school?

In the works since 2006, an agreement between all 50 states and the District of Columbia has worked to address challenges related to education faced by children of military families. The compact only applies to public and DoDEA schools.

The goal is to develop consistent policies in every school district. The agreement addresses issues regarding:

  • Eligibility for enrollment and participation in extracurricular activities
  • Attendance and absence related to deployment activities
  • Placement flexibility in courses and educational programs
  • Graduation requirement flexibility including waiving requirements if comparable course work has been completed, alternative testing, and which school issues a diploma during a relocation

When a family with middle or high school students PCSs, it is important for these students to stay on track for graduation and this agreement supports just that.

DoDEA Resources for College and Career Readiness

Of the nearly 1 million military connected students, 70,000 are enrolled in DoDEA schools around the world. These schools are fully accredited and support students in learning necessary skills and knowledge to be college and career ready. Listed here are some of the programs that support success among DoDEA students.

College and Career Ready Standards

DoDEA schools support college and their career success by establishing clear and consistent standards. Consistency is key to supporting military connected students who relocate frequently.

As of 2018, these standards are assessed through an online Comprehensive Assessment System. While there are arguments for and against standardized testing, the value in these assessments is related to the information collected. This information informs parents, those who make decisions about improving educational programs, and supports student learning. Many of these tests are required for college admission and some can result in earning college credit.

Tests offered by DoDEA that prepare students for college include:

  • The ACT assesses English, math, reading, and science and (optional) writing. The test is administered by DoDEA, but paid for by families. It gauges general educational development and ability to complete college-level work.
  • Advanced Placement exams are taken in May after completing an AP course. Students can earn college credit after successfully completing these exams.
  • CCRS Summative Assessments measure mastery of College and Career Ready Standards.
  • International Baccalaureate programs, like AP exams, are taken in May. Students can earn college credit after successfully completing these exams.
  • PSAT tests are taken in the fall by middle school and early high school students. These tests help students identify areas where they need to improve to be successful on more advanced tests like the SAT.
  • The SAT Reasoning Test assesses how well students can apply their knowledge of reading, writing, and math. Like the ACT, this test is administered by DODEA, but paid for by families.

Test Prep

Test prep resources for ACT, SAT, PSAT and AP exams are available for free through MWR Library resources. These are available to any eligible student, even those not attending DoDEA schools.

Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)

Offered by DoDEA and available at 6,000 other schools nationwide, AVID strives to support students in preparing for college. The program begins supporting students as early as 7th grade. AVID provides support through:

  • Equity – create opportunities among all demographic groups
  • Teacher Effectiveness – support inquiry-based and student-centered instruction
  • Leadership – develop students’ leadership skills that they can carry into college
  • Student Learning – inspires students to control their own learning


Offered by both DoDEA and other schools, Choices360 is an online planning tool for students to set and achieve goals related to graduation, college, and career. Students can develop a portfolio to support them after high school.



States Offering In-State Tuition for Veterans After 3 Years from Discharge

States that Offer Veterans In-State Tuition Benefits

The Choice Act requires schools to allow non-resident veterans to qualify for in-state tuition for up to 3 years after their military service has ended.

For veterans to qualify for in-state tuition, they must use their Post 9/11 GI Bill within 3 years of separation from active duty service.

Beyond the Choice Act

While all states meet the Choice Act requirement and 27 states have passed laws that make veteran students eligible for in-state tuition beyond the 3-year limit, confusing and inconsistent laws remain in multiple states.

It stands to reason that amending the Choice Act will ensure that veterans have full access to the GI Bill benefit.

States That Offer Resident Tuition Beyond 3 Years to Veterans

All schools provide in-state tuition beyond the 3-year cap for veterans unless otherwise specified.

  • Florida – veterans, spouses and dependents all eligible beyond 3-year cap
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Kentucky – veterans, spouses and dependents all eligible beyond 3-year cap
  • Maine
  • Maryland – veterans, spouses and dependents all eligible beyond 3-year cap
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi – veterans, spouses and dependents all eligible beyond 3-year cap
  • New Jersey – veterans, spouses and dependents all eligible beyond 3-year cap
  • New Mexico – veterans, spouses and dependents all eligible beyond 3-year cap
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio – provides additional in-state tuition option called “GI Promise.”  Requires one year of active duty.
  • Oregon – attend public university and show evidence of physical presence in state within 12 months of enrollment
  • Pennsylvania – veterans and dependents all eligible beyond 3-year cap at state-related and state-owned institutions of higher learning including community colleges
  • Rhode Island
  • South Dakota – provides free tuition for some veterans
  • Tennessee – at public university
  • Texas – requires proof of intent to live in Texas
  • Utah – for veterans and their immediate families attending USHE institution that live within the state or have proof of intent to live in Utah
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin

States Granting Tuition with Limits Beyond 3 Years

These states are Choice Act compliant, however while they exceed Choice Act requirements, they are still inconsistent with the Forever GI Bill.

  • Alabama – Eligible for in-state tuition up to 5 years. After 5 years, veterans may qualify for in-state tuition if they live within 90 miles of an Alabama campus or attend an individual university that allows in-state tuition for active duty service members or veterans.
  • Alaska – University of Alaska system provides waiver for veterans eligible for the VA education benefit, their spouses, and dependents.  However, other public schools in Alaska do not.
  • Colorado – GI Promise Act offers in-state tuition adjustments, but not all veterans may qualify.
  • Connecticut – Covers 100% of tuition costs for veterans beyond the 3 year limit.
  • Delaware – University of Delaware provides waivers for qualified veterans. Offers benefits to dependents of POW or those MIA/KIA.
  • Georgia – Veterans are eligible for in-state tuition for up to 10 years.
  • Idaho – Veterans who meet requirements outlined in state statutes are eligible for non-resident tuition rates. These requirements are not consistent with the Choice Act.
  • New York – Veterans using Chapter 31 or 33 qualify for in-state tuition.
  • Nevada – Veterans and dependents are eligible for in-state tuition up to 5 years after separation from active duty.
  • Oklahoma – Veterans are eligible for in-state tuition for up to 5 years after separation from active duty.
  • US Virgin Islands – University of the Virgin Islands Community Engagement and Lifelong Learning Program provides free tuition to qualifying veterans.
  • Washington – State law lets individual institutions determine their own waiver program requirements and requires residency for in-state tuition.

States That Do Not Grant Resident Tuition Beyond 3 Years

These states are Choice Act compliant, but do not grant resident tuition beyond the Choice Act requirements.

  • Arizona
  • Arkansas – Scholarships for spouses and dependents of POWs or those MIA/KIA.
  • California – Offers tuition waivers to active duty service members, those living in the state a year prior to discharge, and dependents
  • District of Columbia
  • Hawaii
  • Indiana – Indiana University System provides in-state tuition to any veteran who enrolls and establishes residency within a year of separation from active duty.
  • Louisiana – Act 581 provides an alternative avenue for in-state tuition with more strict requirements than the Choice Act. Disabled veterans and dependents qualify for in-state tuition.
  • Massachusetts – Offers waivers for those who qualify as veterans and permanent legal residents under state law.
  • Missouri – Missouri Returning Heroes Act provides a $50 per credit hour cap on tuition rates for qualified combat veterans. Dependents of active duty service members and veterans are eligible for in-state tuition.
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina – Some programs exist for dependents.
  • West Virginia – Only public universities comply with the Choice Act. Read West Virginia Veteran Benefits for more information.
  • South Carolina
  • New Hampshire – Some programs exist for dependents.
  • Vermont – Some programs exist for dependents.
  • Washington, DC
  • Wyoming

Choice Act Ready for an Upgrade

Legislation surrounding the GI Bill can be confusing and differ from state to state. Amending the Choice Act can support congruence between this act and the Forever GI Bill.

The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act (Forever GI Bill) of 2017 allows veterans to use their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits at any time after separation from active duty service.

Section 702 of the Veterans’ Access, Choice and Accountability (Choice) Act of 2014 requires schools to provide in-state tuition to eligible student veterans in order for the school to receive GI Bill funding.


For more detailed information on state-by-state benefits, refer to State Veterans Benefits for all 50 States and Territories.





What I Wish I’d Known Before: Transferring GI Bill Benefits to a Dependent

Transferring GI Bill to Dependent: A Personal Account

Perhaps you are an Airman whose wife wants to go back to school and get her Master’s degree. Maybe you are a senior in high school contemplating a four-year university whose mom is a Marine.

Regardless of the type of higher or supplemental education being sought, finding ways to finance it can be a strain on the bank account. Luckily, for some with a direct military affiliation, there are options available to ease the burden, options that can be transferred such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill to dependent spouses and children.

What Is Required to Transfer GI Bill Benefits

In order to give Post 9-11 GI Bill Benefits – either all of it or only a portion of the allotted 36 months – to a qualified dependent, the service member must currently be on active duty status. Benefits CANNOT be transferred after retirement. In addition, all of the following facts must be true:

The service member:

  • Has completed at least 6 years of service on the date the request is approved
  • Agrees to add 4 more years of service or already has at least 4 years of service left in their current commitment

In addition, the person receiving the benefits must be enrolled in DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Report System).

Please note: The Montgomery GI Bill is NON-transferable.

Additional Information Regarding Transferring Your GI Bill Benefits

While that list covers the requirements to initiate transfer, there is also some pertinent information regarding benefits that you should be aware of:

  • Effective Jan. 12, 2020, only members with less than 16 years of active duty or selected reserve service will be able to transfer their GI Bill to dependents
  • Post 9-11 GI Bill will cover up to 100% of in-state tuition for approved public colleges. For private/foreign institutions, there is a cap per academic year
  • All eligible dependents, once the transfer has been approved, may use benefits either while the service member is still active duty or after retirement
  • Spouses may start using transferred benefits immediately
  • Children may only use transferred benefits once they have either turned 18 or received a high school diploma. The service member has to have completed at least 10 years of service first.
  • There are stipulations for the amount of time a dependent has to use their transferred benefits.
  • All eligible dependents receive a books and supplies stipend, based on enrolled credit hours.

Other Considerations for Transferring Your GI Bill to Your Spouse or Dependents

Even with all of that, there may be easily overlooked or completely unknown facts about the process, as well. To save you some of the headache of having to figure these things out during your potentially overwhelming personal journey, service members and their dependents were polled about transferring and using Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits. Here are some of the most popular topics that people wish they had known before traversing through the system.

  • Most branches have an additional requirement to be eligible for transferring benefits, usually in relation to an unblemished service record. Be sure to check with your personnel office before beginning to make sure you’re in good standing.
  • The service member can return unused benefits back to themselves. For example, a spouse enrolls in an 11-month Master’s program. Afterwards, the service member may transfer the unused 25 months back to him/herself or transfer to another eligible dependent.
  • If a spouse is utilizing transferred benefits, and the service member is still active duty, he/she is NOT eligible to receive housing allowance. However, children utilizing transferred benefits while their parent is still active duty CAN receive the allowance.
  • Benefits don’t have to be used for only one type of program. Eligible dependents can potentially seek financial assistance for the typical Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate Degree programs. However, benefits can also be used for non-college degree programs, like vocational or technical training for jobs in computer networking or dental hygiene. Additionally, reimbursements are available for specific job fields (like real estate agents or barbers – find eligible programs) or for national testing (like CLEPS, SAT, or ACT – complete list of eligible tests).
  • If you’re eager to start your desired program right away, keep in mind the following timelines:
    • If the service member has to extend his/her enlistment/retainability, that takes time to process and approve.
    • The time your branch specifies it needs to process a transfer request to a dependent varies, for example:
      • The Army’s website quotes one-to-five business days depending on the amount of pending requests.
      • The Air Force quotes 30 days, making sure to point out if you’re initially rejected, you must start the process over again from day 1.
      • Reach out to your branch specific TEB Representative through MilConnect by going to Education Benefits and finding a link that takes you to Counselor or Contacts
    • The VA website indicates 30 days as their average time to process claims once the transfer of benefits has been approved.
  • One member of the USAF informed us of a potential place where you can cut out some of the waiting period: “Notify your AFPC office handling your transfer request as soon as it’s been submitted. Don’t wait! The office typically doesn’t review the requests until it reaches the annotated expiration date. By calling as soon as it’s submitted, you can potentially save yourself 3+ weeks of unnecessary waiting and receive the information for the next step within 24 hours instead.”
  • Once the service member gets an approval for the transfer of benefits, the receiving dependent must submit an application to use the benefits for their specific school through the VA website.
    • Unfortunately, the website does not allow dependents access to check their status online. However, the service member should be able to check through their virtual personnel office, may receive an email, or the dependent can check with their school; the individual school should have the ability to check on the VA status.
    • The VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or award letter in the mail explaining all benefits. If you live OCONUS, this may take too long to receive.
  • While the VA indicates the COE letter must be presented to the school before enrolling, most schools have the ability to determine your status without it. Don’t hesitate to ask a VA Counselor at your institution about this to help cut back on wait time.
  • Another bit of information given by a dependent using the benefits: “The GI Bill is utilized by months. Take as many classes as possible at a time to get the most bang for your buck before your time runs out.”





Dependent’s Post-9/11 GI Bill Horror Story

Having to Repay GI Bill Benefits, When You Thought They Were Already Paid For

If one of your parents has served in the military and can receive Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, they might be able to transfer those benefits to you. That way, you can pay for college to get the education you want. As a service member, being able to pass on these benefits is a huge perk to serving in the military, especially if you don’t plan on using them for yourself.

However, in an article from the Chicago Sun-Times, we read that Kelli Hower, 30 years old, and pregnant with her first child received a call from a debt collector. The collector was on a contract with the US Treasury Department, saying she owed the government $12,000 for her college tuition payments and living expenses.

A Huge Shock from the VA

This came as a huge shock.  For one, she never received notification from the VA that anything was owed by her. It turned out that the notices went to the wrong address. More than that, Hower had already used the benefits she had received.  She received the benefits from her father, Bruce Coxworth, who had served 22.5 years as a military police officer with the Army National Guard.

Her father had been told by the National Guard that he had fulfilled his commitments. He went on to split the benefits between his three children. Hower and one of her brothers used their share of the benefits first, but when her other brother went to use his, the VA told him no. The records showed that Coxworth was five months short of his service time that he would have needed in order to transfer his benefits to his children. Because he was in the National Guard, that would have been the equivalent of 10 drill days.

From the government’s point of view, Coxworth’s son owed them $18,000 and his daughter $12,000 plus any penalties and interest because of not even knowing about the debt until it went to a debt collector. Howler’s credit score dropped and her tax-return was garnished because of this.

Not the Only Ones

Kelli Hower and her father are not the only ones this has happened to. The Chicago Sun-Times heard from other families that have had to deal with this after an article about how a veteran’s daughter’s tuition was being cut off at DePaul was run.

Service members have been told that they can transfer their GI Bill to their spouse and children if they serve for a certain amount of time. Many will re-enlist or extend to do so. But, some have been given the wrong information, and in fact did not actually qualify, even though they assumed they did. Some did not even know this had happened until years later, which causes even more issues than if they had found out right away.

According to the article, some families have had their child’s college payments withdrawn, but were also being told the benefits were still there, as long as the veteran is the one to use them.

Coxworth is trying to get things cleared up or even get permission to come back and serve those 10 days that he is missing. However, this could take a while. This is a big problem, and one that could lead to many issues, issues that veterans and their children shouldn’t have to deal with.

A Better Way?

There has to be a better way to make sure that the service member knows exactly what they have to serve to qualify and to make sure nothing happens with the funds until that is official. Service members need to be told accurate information so they can fulfill their requirements, and be able to transfer benefits to help their family. They do not need to worry that things were not done correctly, which could cost them time and money down the line.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability Entitlement Act

The Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability Entitlement Act was introduced in the House in December 2019. It was referred to the Subcommittee on Economic Opportunity in January. This bill would allow service members who have served at least 10 years to be able to transfer their benefits. Both the Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States, and the Reserve Enlisted Association are backing the bill. Maybe, these types of bills can help avoid these frustrations in the future.

When there are issues with GI Bill payments, it can cause extremely high and unexpected debt and bills, and service members and veterans shouldn’t have to face those because of mistakes that had been made in the past.






Education Savings Act for Military Families

Did you know that by the time most military children complete secondary school, they will have switched schools between six to nine times? According to the DoDEA, this is true, and it is three times more frequently than non-military families. You can probably relate to this with your own military children.

This Education Savings Act Would Help Military Families

Because of this, there can be a lot of stress on military families when it comes to their children’s education. From having to leave a good school district in the middle of the year to struggling socially and academically because the environment, as well as standards, are different from where they were stationed before.

A survey of Military Times readers, from January 12-24, 2017, sponsored by the Collaborative for Student Success, polled over 200 respondents from all branches of the US military. In the survey, they found that over a third of the members of the US military have dissatisfaction with their children’s education and that it is a big factor in leaving the service. So beyond quality of life, this is also a military retention issue.

The Education Savings Account Act For Military Families

What can be done to help military families with this? Is there anything that can make these transitions a little easier? The Education Savings Accounts for Military Families Act of 2019 can. But it has been sitting in committee since March.

If this bill is passed, things could change for the better. This bill would amend the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.  The bill would allow parents of eligible military dependent children to establish military education savings accounts.

Military families could apply for up to $6,000 for each eligible military dependent child covered by the account through the Department of Education. This money could then be used on their child’s education. It could be used for the following:

  • Private school
  • Homeschooling
  • Tutoring
  • College-prep classes
  • Online courses

Basically, anything that could help keep their child’s education on track no matter where they have to go or be stationed. No matter how often they have to move and start over somewhere else.

The Choice Act

There is also the CHOICE Act, which is sponsored by Senator Tim Scott, R-SC. The CHOICE Act expands options for the approximately 200,000 children that live on domestic military installations.

The Choice Act would create a pilot program under the Department of Defense.  The program would be on at least 5 bases without DoD Education Activity schools.  The program would provide scholarships to students in military families on base.  Scholarship amounts would be up to $8,000 for elementary and $12,000 for high school.

However, this one is also in Committee. This act would allocate $10 million per year, vs the $1.2 billion for the Education Savings Act. Both acts would be funded through the Department of Education.

Although military children are a smaller demographic, they face a lot of challenges. By the time a child starts 7th grade, they could be on their 9th school. They could have had a range of educational experiences: a private school in New York state, a DONSA school in Germany, or a public school in Georgia.

Most parents want the best for their children when it comes to their education. However, military life can make this difficult. Sometimes you are left with only a few options, or options you wouldn’t want to send your kids to. Some families would benefit from homeschooling.  It makes moving, especially short term moves, a little easier on the kids. Other families can use private school or online options to help keep their kids on track.

This proposed legislation can help military families with these issues. They can give us more flexibility with our children’s education and allow them to stay grounded and more stable.  All this despite all the moving the military lifestyle requires.



Scholarships for Students with Disabilities

If you have a child with a disability, there are a variety of scholarships they can apply for when it comes time to go to college. These scholarships are available to parents of service members and non-military, as well as for children with any disability or to those for a specific disability.

Scholarships for Students with Disabilities

Here is a list of scholarships for students with disabilities to help pay for their education.

The Sacks for CF

Cystic Fibrosis, 30 recipients, up to $10,000

The Details: This award is for undergraduate and graduate students with Cystic Fibrosis who strive for therapy adherence and academic success. The Sacks is related to the quarterback sacks made during the NFL season. For every sack recorded during NFL Monday Night Football games, the Sacks for CF Scholarship Program receives a donation from a Boomer Esiason Foundation corporate partner.

The Deadline: Due date is in January.

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Esiason website.

Lighthouse Guild Scholarship Program

Vision loss, multiple recipients, up to $10,000

The Details: This scholarship is for students with vision loss who are undergraduate or graduate students. It is a merit-based scholarship program. They can use the award for whatever they wish, including tuition, room and board, and books and travel.

The Deadline: March 31st.

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Lighthouse Guild website.

Ruby’s Rainbow Scholarship Award

Down Syndrome, multiple recipients, between $1,000-$10,000

The Details: This scholarship program is for between $1,000-$10,000 to be utilized in full within one academic year. Applicants must be diagnosed with Down Syndrome, be at least 18 years of age or be 18 by July 1st.

The applicant will need to have the desire and intent to enroll or to continue enrollment in a post-secondary class or program that will enhance their lives through employment, independent living, or life skills as well as interests in other areas.

Funds must be applied towards tuition at a university, community college, or post-secondary institution. They must be in the US and the funds can also be used for housing, food or transportation only if the costs are already included as part of the tuition fee.

Up to 10% can be used for textbooks and other course work-related supplies. Enrichment classes in the arts also qualify if they are certified programs.

The Deadline: May 6th

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Ruby’s Rainbow website.

Gabriel’s Foundation of HOPE College Scholarship

Does not appear to still be active! 

All disabilities, amount of recipients is based on funds, $500 is most common

The Details: This award is for students with a disability. Students who want to work in a field that will benefit the disabled community may also apply. The number of scholarships and award amounts will be determined based on funds available.

The Deadline: July 1st

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit Gabe’s Hope website.

Randall/LaRossa College Scholarship Fund

Cleft Palate, award amounts and number of applicants varies

The Details: For this award, students will need to have a diagnosis of cleft lip and/or cleft palate or other congenital craniofacial difference. They also must be enrolled full-time in an accredited post-secondary institution or program in the US.

The Deadline: January 31st

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the site.

The Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship

Learning disabilities, one recipient, $5,000 over two years

The Details: This scholarship is for $5,000 that will be awarded over two years, $2,500 each year. It will go to a graduating high school senior with a documented learning disability and/or ADHD who will enroll in a 2-year Community College, a vocational or technical training program, or a specialized program for students with a learning disorder and/or ADHD.

The Deadline: January 17th

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the site.

Google Lime Scholarship

Those with a visible or invisible disability, multiple recipients, $10,000 in the US, $5,000 in Canada

Details: Winners of this scholarship will receive an award as well as being invited to attend the annual Google Scholars’ Retreat at the Googleplex in California. Candidates will also be considered for software engineering internship opportunities with Google. Scholarships are awarded based on the strength of the candidate’s academic background and demonstrated passion for computer science.

This scholarship is for current undergraduate, graduate, or Ph.D. students enrolled in the US or Canada. They would need to pursue a computer science or computer engineering degree or a degree in a closely related technical field with strong academic performance. The student needs to also have a visible or invisible disability. They must be in college already, not in high school.

Deadline: December

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Lime Connect site.

AER William and Dorothy Ferrell Scholarship

Blind and visually impaired, two recipients, $2,000

The Details: This scholarship is for those who are legally blind and studying a career in the field of services to a person who is blind or visually impaired.

The Deadline: Early next year

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the site.

Sertoma Scholarship for the Deaf or Hard of Hearing

Deaf or Hard of Hearing, multiple recipients, award amounts vary

The Details: This scholarship is for those who have a minimum of 40dB bilateral hearing loss, as evidenced on an audiogram by an SRT and PTA of 40dB or greater in both ears. They also must be a citizen of the US, pursuing a BA on a full-time basis at a college or university in the US. Other types of degrees do not qualify. The award covers cover tuition, books, and supplies.

The Deadline: March

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Sertoma site.

Schwallie Family Scholarship Program

Autism, multiple recipients, $3,000

The Details: This scholarship is for students who attend a 2 or 4-year university. They need to have an established autism diagnosis and be attending an accredited post-secondary institution. They would need to be attending on a full-time basis or working toward certification or accreditation in a particular field. They would need to prove a medical diagnosis of autism.

The Deadline: May

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Research Autism site.

Lisa Higgins Hussman Scholarship

Autism, multiple recipients, $3,000

The Details: This scholarship is for students who attend a 2-year university, life skills, post-secondary programs, or vocational or trade schools. They need to have an established autism diagnosis. They would need to be attending on a full-time basis or working toward certification or accreditation in a particular field. They would need to prove a medical diagnosis of autism.

The Deadline: May

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Lisa Higgins Hussman Scholarship page. 

L.I.F.E Scholarship

Systemic Lupus, one or more recipients depending, Minimum of $500

The Details: This award is for undergraduate and graduate students with Systemic Lupus erythematosus (SLE). They can be part-time or full-time students. The amount of awards depends on the quality of the applicants and funds available.

The Deadline: July 1

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Life Scholarship site.

Dollars 4 Tic Scholars Scholarship

 Systemic Lupus, multiple recipients, amount varies

 The Details: This scholarship offers multiple awards for undergraduate students, one for a graduate student, and a vocational/technical opportunity for computer training in Palm Beach County, Florida. Undergraduates need to be a current senior in high school or a current college student before they start their senior year. They will need to be diagnosed with Chronic Tic Disorder or Tourette’s Syndrome.

The Deadline: April 15th

Website: For more information and to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Dollars 4 TIC Scholars site.

More Scholarships:


Find Scholarships for Military, Veterans and Their Families





Student Travel Benefits For Military Dependents

Dependent Travel Benefits For Military Dependents and Their Parents

You are stationed in Germany but your son goes to college in Florida. Christmas is coming, and you want them home with you for winter break. The cost of plane tickets to Europe seems so high. Did you know that there is a student travel benefit for your college-age son or daughter you can use to help?  Find out everything you need to know about the military dependent travel benefit.

The government will pay for one round-trip ticket each fiscal year for college students.

What Are the Military Dependent Travel Benefits?

The government will pay for one round-trip ticket each fiscal year for college students. You do have to qualify for this travel benefit.

How Do I Qualify for Military Dependent Travel Benefits?

In order to qualify, the following must apply:

The military parent must be:

  • On an accompanied tour in an OCONUS location with the rest of their family. Alaska and Hawaii do not count in this case. They will then be sponsored by the command.
  • The custodial parent of the student.

The student must be:

  • Unmarried and under the age of 23, although there could be some exceptions to this rule.
  • Attending an accredited college or school and working towards an undergraduate degree, or a postsecondary vocational or technical training. Service academies, however, do not count for this.
  • Enrolled in school full-time, which is 12 credit hours or more.
  • Student must have already traveled to the parent’s home on PCS orders. If parents move overseas while the student is in college, their first trip over there would count as flying over on PCS orders. They could then use the travel benefit once a year after that.

Additional stipulations:

  • You can use this benefit once every fiscal year and it does not have to be used during the holidays or summer vacation, although that is probably most likely when you would use it.
  • The travel benefit must be authorized through the military parent’s command and be completed through the travel office.

If you are overseas and have a college student back in the US going to college, make sure to take advantage of this travel benefit.




These Travel Discount articles appear at our sister site,



In-state Tuition for Military Veteran Children & Dependents

As a member of the military, you know you receive certain educational benefits for yourself and your family. Moving so often means you are changing states and locations and this could end up being an issue as your children reach college age. Where do they qualify for in-state tuition? What if you move to a new state in the middle of their college years? Are there any benefits for military children when it comes to this?

Where Military Dependents Receive In-State Tuition

The good news is, your military children getting ready to go to college do have some options, even more than civilian kids do when it comes to paying in-state tuition rates. You could say that military children are at an advantage here.

The first thing to keep in mind is that a student’s residence does depend on their parents. If any parent of a college-age student is a resident of Virginia, their kids could go to schools in Virginia and pay the in-state tuition. If a civilian family then moved to Florida, it would take a year for them to establish residency in the new state. Their children couldn’t just start at a college in Florida and then start paying in-state tuition right away.

Different Qualifications For Military Families

For military families, this is a bit different. Military students are not only eligible for in-state tuition where they have been living with their parents but also where their active duty parent’s state of legal residence or domicile is. Different states do have different requirements so that is also something to keep in mind.

Because of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, states need to offer in-state tuition to military family members who live in the state due to their active duty military service. This means that for any active duty service member, his or her spouse and dependents at any public college or university where they are stationed for 30+ days should be able to receive the in-state tuition rate. States do need to accept certain types of federal funding for this to qualify.

What if Military Parent is Then Stationed Somewhere Else?

Military family members can then continue using the in-state tuition rate as long as they are continuously enrolled in the school, even if their mom or dad gets stationed somewhere else. That means that if a child starts college in Virginia, getting the in-state tuition because their dad is stationed there, they can stay at that college with the in-state tuition even if dad gets stationed in another state during their college years. They could also transfer to a school in the same state that their parents move to and qualify for in-state there, instead of having to wait.

This gives the military child options and avoids the worry that a parent could get orders during their college years, making college more expensive to pay for. This also allows a military child to think about going to school in their parent’s home of record, which could be closer to other family members or even where the parents plan to end up after military life is over.

In addition to all of this, some schools offer in-state tuition to those who are using a transferred GI Bill. So, even if your child can’t receive in-state tuition somewhere, they might be able to do this if you have transferred your GI Bill to them.

Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act

In 2014, Congress enacted the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act. The Choice Act as it is called, made it so that in order to remain approved for VA’s GI Bill programs, schools have to charge in-state tuition and fees to covered individuals.

Covered Individuals Under the Choice Act

A covered individual Under the Choice Act would be:

  • A veteran who lives in the state where the Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within 3 years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • An individual using transferred benefits who lives in the state where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the 3 year period following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits who lives in the state where the IHL is located and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

Some schools could also have additional requirements when it comes to who qualifies for in-state tuition and others might grant that rate to any current or former military member, regardless of if they are considered a “covered individual” or not.

It’s always important to know what the state your children want to go to college in offers, and what the school itself offers. There are also states that offer free tuition to veterans and their dependents so make sure to look into those when starting your child’s college search.





College Scholarships for Military Children & Dependents

List of Scholarships for College for Dependents of Military & Veterans

They have had to say goodbye to mom or dad more times than anyone else, they have lived in more places before age ten than most people do in a lifetime, and as they grow up, they too want to further their education and go to college. Luckily, there are quite a few scholarships and grants for military and veteran-dependent children wanting to go to college.

Fisher House

$2000 each, 500 total

The Details: The Fisher House scholarship is funded through manufacturers and suppliers whose products you can find at the Commissary. There will be at least one recipient of this award from each Commissary that has applicants. In some cases, more than one will be picked depending on how many people have applied at that location.

This award is open to sons and daughters of active duty, reserves, guard, or retired commissary customers. They must be enrolled or planning to be enrolled full-time in a four-year accredited undergraduate college or university or two-year community college.

The Deadline: Will open for the 2023-2024 school year in mid-December.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link


Find Scholarships for Military and Veteran Dependents


General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant

From $500-$4,000 depending on financial need

The Details: This award is for Air Force dependents. They must be a child of active duty, a Title 10 reservist on extended active duty, a Title 32 guard performing full-time active duty, in the retired reserve, retired, or a deceased Air Force service member.

The recipient may not reach the age of 24 during the award year. They will need to be a high school graduate enrolled or accepted as a full-time undergraduate at an accredited college, university, vocational, or trade school. The specific amount will correlate to a student’s particular level of financial need.

The Deadline: Applications will be open for the 2023-2024 school year in early January.

Website for more information and to apply for this grant: link


$4,000, $1,000 for each year, 6 awards given out

The Details: This award is for children and grandchildren of veterans, active duty, guard, and reserves. They would need to be high school seniors to be eligible. There is also a JRTC scholarship for $1,000 which would be a one-time payment.

The Deadline: Typically reopens in January.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Children of Warriors National Presidents’ Scholarship (American Legion Auxiliary)

There will be 3, $5,000 scholarships per geographic region for a total of 15

The Details: This award is for children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of veterans who served in the armed forces during certain eligibility dates for membership in the American Legion.

The scholarship would be for undergraduate study at a four-year college or university for tuition, books, fees, room, and board.

If your family happens to be stationed overseas, your child can apply through the state that is your home of record.

The Deadline: March 1st

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Wings Over America

Most scholarships would be about $5,000, 50 a year

The Details: This award is for dependent children of US Navy personnel, both officer and enlisted. Their parent needs to have served in the Naval Air Forces and can be active duty, retired, honorably discharged, or deceased.

The awards are for tuition and tuition-related fees for undergraduate work only as well as Reserve Officer Candidate Programs.

Children need to be unmarried, up to age 22. They also must have graduated or be graduating seniors of an accredited high school or equivalent homeschool. They may use the award at trade or technical schools, colleges, and universities, and must be at full-time status.

It opens October 1st.

The Deadline: February 1

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Chief Petty Officer Scholarship Fund

$2,000-$5,000, multiple recipients. 

The Details: This award is open to immediate family members of an active duty, retired, reserve, or a deceased Chief Petty Officer of the US Navy.

They need to be about to graduate or have already graduated from high school or equivalent or have earned a GED. The award can be used for college, universities, community college, or vocational schools.

The Deadline: Applications are typically available as of January 1st. Applications received after April 1, 2023, will not be accepted.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship:  link

Dolphin Scholarship Foundation

Between $2,100-$3,500 per student for two to four years, 25-30 new awards per year

The Details: Children of members or former members of the Submarine Force or those who have served in submarine support activities.

The children need to be in high school or college working towards an undergraduate degree or on a certification through a vocational or trade school. They also need to be unmarried and under 24 years old.

The Deadline: Applications accepted until March 15th each year.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Tailhook Educational Foundation Scholarship

Over 100 awards annually, between $3,000-$15,000 per scholarship.

The Details: This award is for children or grandchildren of current or former (US Navy, US Marine, US Coast Guard) Naval Aviators, Naval Flight Officers, or Naval Aircrewmans. The children or grandchildren of individuals who are serving or who have served on board a US Navy aircraft carrier also qualify.

This scholarship is for those enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited college. A number of scholarships are awarded to those pursuing STEAM curriculum.

The Deadline: March

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link


Does not appear to have a current scholarship for the 2023-2024 school year. 


The Details: They must be a dependent child of a member of the military, ages 24 and under.

They also need to be a current high school senior or graduate who plans to enroll or who is already enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program.

They will need to go to an accredited two or four-year college, university or vocational or technical school.

The Deadline: Applications are open from Mar 1 through Apr 15.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Maj. Gen. James Ursano Scholarship

The amount varies each year.

Details: This scholarship is to help assist children of army soldiers in receiving their first undergraduate degree. The child needs to be a dependent of an active duty, retired, or deceased soldier.

This award is need-based and covers tuition, fees, books, supplies, and room and board. They also need to be going to school full-time in an accredited post-secondary or vocational institution.

The child also needs to be under the age of 24, unmarried, and not a member of the National Guard, Reserves, or another military branch themselves.

Deadline: Applications are typically available starting Jan 1 through Apr 1.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society College Grant


Details: This award is for children of active duty, retired, or deceased sailors and marines. The children need to be under the age of 23, as of September 30, 2022.

They also need to be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or post-secondary accredited two or four-year or technical or vocational school in the US.

This program will be giving out interest-free loans or grants.

Deadline: Applications will open on Jan 1, 2023, and close by Jun 1, 2023.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation

Between $500-$3,000, multiple recipients.

Details: This award is for the children of those serving as active duty or reserves in the US Marine Corps. The parent can also be a veteran with an honorable discharge or one who was killed in action. Children of active duty or reserve US Navy Corpsman who are serving or who have served with a US Marine unit, veteran US Navy Corpsman who have served with a US Marine unit and have an honorable discharge, or those who have been killed in action while doing so also qualify.

The child needs to be attending or planning to attend college or career training at a school that is listed on the National Center for Education Stats College Navigator website within the 2023-2024 school year.

The family’s adjusted gross income for the 2021 tax year has to be less than $112,000. Non-taxable allowances are not included.

The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation also offers the Heroes Tribute Scholarship Program for children of the fallen, which would be $30,000 over four years, and the Heroes Tribute Scholarship Program for Children of the Wounded would be $6,000 to $40,000 over four years.

Deadline: Applications open January 1st, and will close March 2nd.  Awards are announced around the end of May.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Bonsai Finance Veterans Scholarship

This scholarship doesn’t seem to be currently available. 


Details: This scholarship is a one-time payment of $1,000 for current or future education costs. In order to qualify, they must be a direct dependent of a veteran or active duty member of the US military.

They also must be a high school senior, high school graduate, or registered as an undergraduate student at an accredited college or post high school vocational/technical school. They must also be a US citizen and not have already earned a previous bachelor’s degree.

Deadline: The application period typically begins January each year.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

Veterans United Foundation Scholarship

10, one-time scholarships, up to $50,000 for the upcoming semester

The Details: This scholarship is for family members of service members and veterans to achieve their educational dreams. It is funded by contributions from Veterans United Home Loans and its employees.

To qualify, they must be a surviving child of a deceased service member from a service-related death or a veteran with a 100% service-connected disability. They must be currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a college or university by the Spring semester of each school year. They must be pursuing an associate, bachelor’s, graduate, post-graduate, or doctoral degree.

The Deadline: Due date for the spring is March 31, and for the fall is October 31.

Website for more information and to apply for this scholarship: link

When looking into the different scholarships, make sure to double-check the eligibility requirements before you apply. If the date has passed for the application, check back next year as the dates usually don’t change from year to year. Finding extra money for a school in the form of scholarships can be a wonderful way for your military children to start their college careers.


Find Scholarships for the Children of Military and Veterans

Additional Scholarship Resources





States Offering Free College Tuition for Veterans & Dependents

Many states offer the equivalent of free college tuition or a substantial amount of financial aid as a benefit for military dependents and veteran dependents. As a service member, you earn education benefits you can use for yourself, but there are also benefits for spouses and college-age dependent children.

Here is a list of states providing tuition benefits to veterans’ dependents in military-friendly colleges or at other higher education institutions

States with Education Benefits for Military & Veteran Dependents

Here’s a quick list if you’re looking for information about states that offer education benefits to dependents of veterans.  Click on the state name to jump directly to your state for more info.

States with Education Benefits for Disabled Veteran Dependents

The following states offer education benefits for the dependents of disabled veterans:

States Offering Free College for Disabled Veterans’ Dependents

Some states offer education benefits for disabled veterans and dependents. This may not always translate to free college, but in many cases, a substantial portion of approved education costs may be offset.


The State of Arizona offers qualifying dependents a tuition waiver.

Dependent children of an Arizona National Guard member or US Armed Forces member, who were:

  • members of the state of Arizona or who were stationed in Arizona AND
  • killed in the line of duty or who died from injuries suffered in the line of duty (while traveling to or from duty may qualify)

Age restrictions may apply.

Search VA-approved Schools in Arizona



In the State of California, the College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit program waives tuition and fees for attendance at any State of California Community College, California State University, and the University of California. The waiver does not cover housing or books. There are multiple “plans” under which you may qualify.

Plan A

To be approved for the College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents under Plan A, you must be one of the following:

    • An unmarried dependent (14 years or older and under 27) of a totally disabled veteran or a veteran “whose death was officially rated as service-connected.”
    • The spouse of a wartime veteran who is totally service-connected disabled.
    • The unmarried surviving spouse of a wartime veteran whose death is rated as service-connected.
    • Any dependent of veterans declared missing in action, captured in the line of duty by hostile forces, or forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty.

Under Plan A, the veteran must have served at least one day of active duty during a period of war or, “during any time in which the Veteran was awarded a campaign or expeditionary medal”. You may not draw both Plan A and VA Chapter 35 benefits at the same time.

Plan B

To be approved for the College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents under Plan B:

You must be the child of a veteran who had a service-connected disability at the time of death or who died of service-connected causes, regardless of whether military service was in wartime or not. Annual income limits apply, but if you qualify for VA Chapter 35 benefits you may still apply for this program.

Plan C

To be approved for the College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents under Plan C:

This option is offered to the dependents of California National Guard members who were killed on duty, who died as a result of a service-connected disability, or who were permanently disabled on duty. Surviving spouses may also qualify.

Plan D

To be approved for the College Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents under Plan D:

Plan D is offered to Medal of Honor recipients and children of Medal of Honor recipients under the age of 27. Plan D offers education benefits for undergraduate studies only, income and age restrictions may apply. You can receive Plan D benefits at the same time you use VA Chapter 35 benefits.

Search VA-approved Schools in California


The State of Kentucky offers a tuition waiver for qualifying veterans’ spouses and dependent children. This waiver may be used towards 2-year, 4-year or vocational schools funded by the Kentucky Department of Education.

To qualify, one of the following must be true of the veteran:

  • They died on active duty
  • They died as a result of service-connected disability (determined by VA)
  • 100% service-connected disabled
  • Totally disabled (not service-connected) with wartime service
  • Is deceased, was a KY resident at the time of death, with wartime service
  • Social Security Administration award is not acceptable

The applicant does not be a state resident. For more info, please see the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs.

Search VA-approved schools in Kentucky


Louisiana provides a state benefit for exemption of tuition and certain fees for:

  • Surviving spouses of deceased war veterans
  • Spouses of disabled war veterans
  • Children of veterans with at least a 90% service-disabled rating
  • Children of war veterans who have a 100% disability rating due to individual unemployability

This exemption is good for up to four years of school, and the program must be completed in five years. There is no age limit for a surviving spouse. Children are eligible until the age of 25 and must attend on a full-time basis.

To apply please get in touch with your local Parish Veterans Service Office. For more info, please visit the website.

North Carolina

The North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans offers scholarships good for eight academic semesters to qualifying children of veterans who are:

  • Deceased
  • Disabled
  • Combat veterans
  • Prisoners of War
  • Missing in Action

The applicant must be under the age of 25 at the time of application and the veteran’s qualifying criteria “must have occurred during a period of war” according to the official site.

Search VA-approved Schools in North Carolina

South Dakota

Children of veterans who were killed in action, or who died on active duty may qualify for military tuition benefits at a state-supported school. The child must be under the age of 25, be a resident of South Dakota, and the parent must be a resident of South Dakota for at least six months immediately preceding entry into active service.

Search VA-approved Schools in South Dakota


The Hazelwood Act in Texas helps spouses and dependent children of eligible service members, active duty, reserves, and the Texas National Guard who died in the line of duty or the result of an injury or illness related to military service. Spouses and dependents of those who are missing in action, or who became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of a service-related injury or illness may also qualify.

Benefits under the Hazelwood Act include exemption from tuition and most fees, up to 150 semester credit hours at state-supported colleges. The benefit cannot be used for service fees, supplies, or living expenses.

Search VA-approved Schools in Texas


The State of Washington offers a waiver of undergraduate tuition and fees at state-supported colleges, up to 200 quarter credits or equivalent semester credits for qualifying dependents of 100% disabled veterans and those who died in service.

Search VA-approved Schools in Washington

List of States Veterans and Dependents Education Benefits


In Alaska, National Guard members may qualify for up to 100% tuition assistance at any University of Alaska system school.


In Connecticut, tuition at state-supported schools may be waived for qualifying veterans and certain dependents. To qualify, veterans must attend a state regional community or technical college or a state university. Wartime service and state residency is required.

Dependents may also qualify for a tuition waiver if the veteran is declared missing in action while serving in the armed forces after January 1, 1960.


Florida offers qualifying applicants the Congressman C.W. Bill Young Tuition Waiver Program. This program waives out-of-state tuition fees for all honorably discharged veterans who reside in the state and are enrolled in Florida public post-secondary institutions.

This is also available to qualifying spouses and dependent children living in Florida and who are using GI Bill benefits for enrollment in Florida Public post-secondary institutions.


The Illinois Veterans’ Grant (IVG) Program pays tuition and mandatory fees at all Illinois state-sponsored colleges, universities, and community colleges for eligible Illinois veterans. This grant can be used in conjunction with VA benefits.

In order to qualify, veterans must be:

  • Honorably discharged
  • Live in Illinois
  • Have at least one full year of active duty
  • Other residency criteria may apply

See also

Search VA-approved Schools in Illinois


Qualifying Massachusetts veterans are offered tuition waivers for all state colleges and universities. Veterans must be in an undergraduate degree program or certificate program, and must not be in default on federal student loans. Veterans are eligible on a space-available basis for a waiver of full or partial tuition based on proper documentation of their eligibility of the veteran.

Members of the National Guard may also qualify for a waiver of both fees and tuition at all state colleges and universities.

Search VA-approved Schools in Massachusetts


Montana offers a state veteran tuition waiver. To qualify, a veteran must have an honorable discharge. Applicants must be a resident of Montana. This benefit is authorized for those who have VA education benefits which are exhausted or expired. To qualify, applicants must meet one of the following:

  • Military service between December 7, 1941, to December 31, 1946; June 22, 1950, to January 31, 1955; or January 1, 1964, to May 7, 1975.
  • Qualified students working on an initial undergraduate degree who received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service after May 7, 1975.
  • Qualified students working on an initial undergraduate degree who received the Southwest Asia Service Medal for service in the Persian Gulf between August 2, 1990, and April 11, 1991.
  • Those awarded the Kosovo Campaign Medal
  • Served in a combat theatre in Afghanistan or Iraq after September 11, 2001, and received either the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, or the Iraq Campaign Medal.

Veterans who qualify for this waiver may receive it for a total of 12 semesters and must maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Search VA-approved Schools in Montana

New Mexico

The Wartime Veteran Scholarship Fund is for qualifying veterans who served in combat since 1990, and who have exhausted all available federal GI Education Benefit options. This scholarship is for tuition costs and books at a public New Mexico Institute of Higher Education.

New Mexico residency is required for a minimum of 10 years and applicants must have earned one of the following medals in conflicts since August 1, 1990.

  • Southwest Asia Service Medal
  • Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
  • Iraq Campaign Medal
  • Afghanistan Campaign Medal
  • Any other issued medal

New Mexico also has a Vietnam Veterans Scholarship. This is for veterans who have been residents of New Mexico for a minimum of 10 years, have served in Vietnam, and were issued the Vietnam Campaign or Service Medal are eligible.

This scholarship pays full tuition and books at any state-funded post-secondary school.

Search VA-approved Schools in New Mexico

New York

New York offers Veterans Tuition Awards, which are managed by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

Veterans must be New York state residents, be discharged under honorable conditions, and must have served in one of the following eras:

  • Vietnam between February 28, 1961, and May 7, 1975
  • Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990
  • Afghanistan on or after September 11, 2001
  • Hostilities after February 28, 1961, with an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal.

Awards are for full-time and part-time students for eligible veterans in an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York state.

Search VA-approved Schools in New York

North Carolina

North Carolina offers scholarships for children of veterans. They are eligible for a four-year scholarship at a North Carolina-approved school. The veteran parent must either be deceased, disabled, a POW or MIA, or a combat veteran.

The child must be under 25, and be a current resident. Other residency criteria may apply. The parent veteran must be a resident of North Carolina at the time of entry into the qualifying period of service, or the child must have been born in North Carolina and have lived exclusively in North Carolina.

Search VA-approved Schools in North Carolina

South Carolina

South Carolina has a tuition waiver program for children of qualifying wartime veterans.

Children must be 26 years old or younger and admitted to any state-supported college, university, or post-high school technical education institution free of tuition as long as their work and conduct are satisfactory.

The veteran must be a resident of South Carolina at the time of entry into service, be a resident during service and still be residing in the state, or have been a resident of the state for at least a year and still residing in the state.

Search VA-approved Schools in South Carolina

South Dakota

South Dakota provides for certain veterans to take undergraduate courses at a state-supported university.

Veterans must have been discharged under Honorable conditions, be current residents of South Dakota and qualify for in-state tuition, and qualify as a veteran.

Qualifying as a veteran would mean serving on active duty any time between August 2, 1990, a date to be determined, receiving an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or other United States campaign or service medal for participating in combat operations against hostile forces outside the boundaries of the US or having a service-connected disability rated 10% or more that is disabling.

Eligible veterans can receive one month of free tuition for each month of qualifying service with a minimum of one, up to a maximum of four academic years.

Children of veterans who were KIA or died of other causes while on active duty are eligible for free tuition at a state-supported school. The child needs to be under the age of 25, be a resident of South Dakota, and the parent must have been a resident of South Dakota for at least six months immediately preceding entry into active service.

Search VA-approved Schools in South Dakota


Tennessee offers the Helping Heroes Grant; an award is for $1,000 per semester for students enrolled in 12 semester hours or more. Students receive $500 per semester for 6-11 semester hours. These grants are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.

To be eligible, a veteran must be honorably discharged. Applicants may be former or current members of a reserve or Tennessee National Guard unit called into active military service.

They also must have been a Tennessee resident for one year preceding the date of application for the grant, be awarded Iraq Campaign Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, or Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, on or after Sept. 11, 2001, be enrolled at an eligible 2 or 4 years post secondary institution, haven’t earned a baccalaureate degree yet, not in default of a federal or Tennessee educational loan, and other qualifications.

The grant may be awarded for a maximum of eight full semesters.

Search VA-approved Schools in Tennessee


The Texas Hazlewood Act provides a military education benefit of up to 150 credit hours of tuition and most required fees at a state-supported college or university at no cost to the veteran.

The veteran must be a Texas resident when entering military service, be classified as a resident by the institution for the term or semester they are applying for, have served at least 181 days on active duty service, have an honorable or general under honorable conditions discharge, have no federal veterans’ education benefits.

Applicants with federal benefits may also qualify depending on circumstances.

Eligible veterans may be permitted to assign or transfer unused hours of exemption eligibility to a child. Spouses and dependent children of eligible service members, active duty, reserves, and the Texas National Guard who died in the line of duty or the result of an injury or illness related to military service also qualify.

Spouses and dependents of those who are missing in action, or who became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of a service-related injury or illness should also apply.

Search VA-approved Schools in Texas


Utah offers the Veterans Tuition Gap Program, which helps qualifying military veterans with tuition assistance for the last school year at state institutions of higher education. This is for tuition only and does not include housing, books, or other expenses.

To qualify, veterans must be Utah residents, admitted to a state school, have no previous degrees, and are eligible for Chapters 1606, 30, 31, 32, or Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Utah Veterans Benefits

Search VA-approved Schools in Utah


The State of Washington allows state community colleges, colleges, and universities, to waive some or all tuition and fees for eligible wartime veterans who are residents of the state. Those who have served overseas may also qualify depending on circumstances.

These schools may also waive undergraduate tuition and fees, up to 200 quarter credits or equivalent semester credits for dependents of 100% disabled veterans who are eligible, at state community colleges, colleges, and universities.

Search VA-approved Schools in Washington


The Wisconsin GI Bill is a state-level program offering full tuition and approved fees for eligible veterans and their dependents for up to eight semesters or 128 credits, whichever is greater, at any University of Wisconsin System or Wisconsin Technical College System school. This benefit is different from the federal-level GI Bill.

To be eligible the veteran must be a Wisconsin resident at the time of entry into active military service and be a resident for at least five consecutive years preceding the start of any semester or session.

Eligible veterans’ spouses or children may use this benefit if the veteran has been awarded a VA service-connected disability rating of at least 30% or has died in the line of duty or as a result of a service-connected ability.

To qualify a veteran must meet requirements that include but may not be limited to the following:

  • Served at least 90 days or more during wartime.
  • Served on active duty for at least two continuous years or full initial service obligation during peacetime.
  • Honorably discharged because of a service-connected disability or due to a reduction in force.
  • Served in a designated crisis zone.
  • Received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, a Vietnam Service Medal, a Navy Expeditionary Medal, a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal, or an expeditionary or service medal equivalent.

See also

Search VA-approved Schools in Wisconsin


Wyoming provides a veteran tuition benefit in the form of free tuition and fees for overseas combat veterans, surviving spouses, and their dependents. This is offered for a maximum of 8 semesters.

To qualify, veterans must have been a resident of Wyoming for at least one year prior to entering into active duty, have an Honorable discharge and were awarded an “authorized medal” such as the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

Surviving spouses or children of eligible service members qualify if the service member died on active duty, and the applicant was under 22 years of age when the servicemember parent died.

Search VA-approved Schools in Wyoming



Discounts and Freebies for Military and Veterans


>> For more freebies and discounts, please sign up for the MyMilitaryBenefits discount newsletter for ways for the military community to save.  It’s free!!



Best Back To School Discounts For Military Families

With back-to-school season approaching, parents are on the lookout for deals when getting ready for the new school year. Here is a list of some of the best back-to-school discounts for military families.

>> For more great military and veteran discounts direct to your inbox, sign up for the Military and Veteran Discounts Newsletter! It’s free from our sister site, Start saving!

Back To School Discounts For Military Families

These include both student and military discounts to help you save this coming school year. offers online tutoring and homework help. As of April of 2020, all DoD service members, civilian personnel, and all dependent family members from kindergarten to college/adult can use it at zero cost. With, you or your child can connect with a live expert 24/7.

Before this special offer, dependents in grades K-12 of the following qualified:

  • Active Duty Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Marines.
  • Active/Full-time or Deployed National Guard or Air National Guard, or Reserves.
  • Wounded Warrior/Survivors
  • Coast Guard who are attending schools operated and funded by the DoDEA
  • Department of Defense Civilian personnel who are currently deployed to CENTCOM AORs including but not limited to Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan.

This program is funded by the U.S. Department of Defense and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance offers interactive e-learning classes for SAT/ACT/LSAT exams. The full cost of the program is between $350-$999. But, with their military special program, military families only have to pay between $19.99 and $99.99 to offset the streaming and support expenses. They have been able to offer this to over 250,000 students and families.


FedEx is for shipping, self-service printing, shredding services, and more. They have a student discount club where you can enjoy 20-30% savings with a student ID. 30% off documents with FEDEX Envelop/Pak and 20% off a package with FedEx IP service with your student ID. USAA also offers discounts with FedEx. You can save up to 36% on select international services with FedEx Express, 28% on select US shipping services with FedEx Express, and other discounts for business shipping.

Apple Military and Student Discounts

With Apple, you can find both student and military discounts. The Education discounts are for about 4-5% off and apply to MacBooks, iMacs, and iPads. Military discounts are a little more with about 10% off and apply to MacBooks, iMacs, iPads, iPhones, Apple Watches, Apple TV, and Apple Music products.


At Overstock, you can find backpacks, school supplies, desks, chairs, and items for a dorm room. They offer a Military Membership, which is a free Club O Rewards, account to active military and veterans. You would need to verify with

With the Club O Rewards you will receive:

  • free shipping
  • 5% rewards
  • easy returns
  • rewards for reviews
  • additional perks on hotels and dining and more

They also offer a Classroom Membership for students and teachers. With both the military and student membership, you would need to be verified by


Scholastic is an American publishing, education, and media company known for publishing, selling, and distributing books and educational materials. They have free printables for all ages. These printables cover reading, writing, math, and science, starting with Pre-K.

Shoes With Military Discounts

With a new school year ahead, you want to find discounts on shoes.

10%-25% Off With Military Discount

  • Rack Room Shoes
  • New Balance
  • Journey’s
  • Foot Locker
  • Lady Foot Locker
  • Nike
  • Converse

10 and 20% Off With Student Discount

  • Adidas
  • Nike
  • Toms
  • Converse
  • New Balance

Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone is a computer-assisted learning software. They have many different languages including: Spanish, French, Italian, German, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin,) Filipino (Tagalog,) Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Irish, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Persian (Farsi,) Polish, Portuguese (Brazil,) Russian, Spanish (Spain,) Swedish, Turkish, and Vietnamese.

Additionally, they offer a homeschool program.

They offer a 10% military discount to active and retired military personnel. You would need to be verified with They also have a student discount of 10% off and you would need to be registered and verified with UNiDays.


You can find military and student discounts on backpacks at stores such as Pottery Barn Kids, Vera Bradley, Bass Pro Shops, Jansport, and Society 6.

Operation Homefront’s Back-to-School Brigade

Operation Homefront has an amazing program to give out backpacks and school supplies. Since they have started this campaign, they have given out 350,000 backpacks over the last 10 years. Operation Homefront and Dollar Tree, Inc have joined forces to give out these supplies to military children nationwide. Visit Operation Homefront to find out if there is one near you.

Tax-Free Weekends

Don’t forget about the tax-free weekends. Certain states have a tax-free weekend to coincide with back-to-school shopping. The dates can vary, some are just a weekend and others can be up to a week.

Tax-free items usually include items such as:

  • Clothing
  • Computers
  • Software
  • School supplies
  • Books
  • Footwear

However, it does depend on the state.

Back-To-School Tax-Free Weekends

Your back-to-school tax-free weekends will be coming up soon if you live in one of the following states:

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Mexico
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia

For info on dates and what’s included in the tax-free weekends, visit our page for Back-To-School Tax-Free Weekends.

AAFES Tax-Free Weekend

If you shop at AAFES, you can gain additional savings during their tax-free weekend promotion.

AAFES normally offers tax-free shopping as an everyday benefit to military families. During tax-free weekends, they will be offering an additional discount.

The percentage off will be based on your state and the state tax rate. During their tax-free weekend, you can save that additional amount. This is valid for in-store purchases only on clothing, shoes, computers, and school supplies.

For more info on AAFES Tax-Free Weekend.  Or visit the AAFES site to learn more.

Exchange Price Matching

Make sure to take advantage of the Exchange Price Matching you can find at your local Exchange. AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service,) NEX (Navy Exchange Services,) and MCX (Marine Corps Exchange) all have this program. You can also apply this to the Express, Class Six, Car Care, Troop Stores, and

CONUS facilities and non-foreign OCONUS facilities currently cannot price match online sites other than

The price match must be from a local competitor.  This means they must be a retailer doing business in the community where the Exchange is located.

The item must be an identical item, with the same brand, manufacturer, features, size, color, and manufacturer’s model number. Items must be currently in stock at the select authorized online retailer’s website at the time the request for the price match is made. You can visit the Exchange website for more information.

You can also check to see if any of your favorite companies offer free shipping during the back-to-school season. Many stores will also be offering special deals during this time of year.


>> For more great military and veteran discounts direct to your inbox, sign up for the Military and Veteran Discounts Newsletter! It’s free from our sister site, Start saving!



Military & Veteran College Scholarships and Grants

College Scholarships and Grants for Military Veterans

Over the past decade, we’ve seen a proliferation of scholarships for veterans, military scholarships, and even education grants targeted at the military spouse community.

There are currently about 19 million U.S. veterans, as reported by the Pew Research Center earlier this year. That’s less than 10% of America’s adult population.

Even so, only an estimated 40% of those veterans are using their GI Bill benefits, according to Brookings. More than 2.9 million veterans have entered higher education, some have used their GI Bill benefits, and others have not.


Because institutions of higher learning and companies across America realize the value that comes from the military community. The discipline, loyalty, and courage inherent in your service make you some of the best students and employees these organizations have ever seen.

Defining the Terms

What is meant by “Scholarships for Veterans” and “Military Scholarships”?

Generally speaking, a Veteran is someone who has served any portion of their life in one of the military branches. Some serve for a few years; others serve for decades. All have made sacrifices for the country.

When someone is “Military,” that usually means that they’re currently serving in the active, reserve, or guard component of a branch of service. They are on the frontline of Freedom.

Scholarships for Veterans are those sources of education funding that target the veteran community. These scholarships come from federal government agencies, state organizations, companies, and nonprofits across the country.


Find Scholarships, Grants, and more for Military, Veterans, and Their Families!


Military scholarships are those that target a current military member. Like scholarships for veterans, these opportunities come from a myriad of different sources.

Oftentimes, though, the term “military scholarship” applies to active duty, reserve, National Guard, veterans, and military spouses. Not always, but often enough to caveat that here. Be sure to read the eligibility requirements.

Regardless of where you stand in the military community, either veteran, military spouse, or currently serving, scholarships and grants serve to help you achieve your goals.

RELATED: Degrees for Military and Veterans

Why Apply for Military Scholarships?

It’s a Numbers Game

I mentioned above that the veteran population makes up less than 10% of the total U.S. adult population. Additionally, less than 1% of our citizens are currently serving.

What this means for you, the seeker of military scholarships is that there is less competition than for those scholarships that are open to everyone.

Now don’t read that wrong; there is still competition. But, it is limited to those currently serving or to those who have served before.

Unused Funding

Every year, scholarship opportunities go unused. This is a travesty considering that student debt continues accumulating every year. 

The reason these scholarships for veterans and military go unused is for lack of applicants. If you’re applying for scholarships to fund your education goals, then apply to every scholarship for which you are eligible.

You Deserve It

Do not feel guilty for trying to get as much funding as possible. There is money out there that companies, agencies, and state governments have set aside to support the military community.

If you meet the requirements, then you have every right to apply for that funding source. You chose to raise your right hand and defend the US of A. Now, others have chosen to show their support and appreciation by offering military scholarships and scholarships for veterans.


General Requirements for Military Scholarships

While each organization that offers money for military scholarships can set its requirements for awardees, some general guidelines apply.

First, you should somehow be affiliated with the military, usually a veteran or currently serving. While most are open to all branches of service, some target a more specific demographic.

For example, the National Ranger Memorial Foundation offers the Ranger Memorial Scholarship to U.S. Army Rangers of any age and their dependents.

In any case, be prepared to offer proof of service, either through a DD-214, using, or submitting a letter from your company commander.

For many scholarship applications, you will be required to write an essay or some other form of writing. Sometimes they just want to hear your story, and at other times they want to see if you will follow instructions. 

Pay close attention to due dates, writing requirements, and any other information listed on the application.

Finding Scholarships and Grants for Military

CollegeRecon researches and presents to you every military scholarship, grant, and funding opportunity we can find. If the information is not clear, we reach out to the organization sponsoring the scholarships for veterans and get clarification.

You deserve every funding opportunity to accomplish your education and career goals. To take things a step further, CollegeRecon offers a unique Scholarship Finder Tool that can help you find all the scholarships available to you.

Tips for Applying to Military Scholarships

Here are some helpful reminders when applying for military scholarships:

  • First, apply for as many scholarships as you can.
  • Keep a calendar of pending due dates. Don’t let those slip by!
  • Do NOT procrastinate on the essay. Take the time to write the best one you can.
  • Stick to the word count, even if that means cutting and revising.
  • Have someone else read your application and essay.
  • Be prepared for rejection. You’re awesome, but so are your military brothers and sisters.

In the end, apply the resilience you learned in the service to your applications for military scholarships. 

To find more helpful ideas and insights, check out 13 Tips for Military & Veterans on How to Apply for Scholarships. 

Types of Scholarships for Veterans

Financial Aid for Active Service

The most common form of financial aid for active service members is Tuition Assistance (TA). Each service offers TA to their active service members, and it can be used to cover the costs associated with a college degree.

Getting a degree while on active duty is easier than you think. Read Active Duty and College: College While in the Military to discover how it works.

It is also worth noting that military college students can submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). While many students understand that student loans are a by-product of applying for FAFSA, there are also grants you can receive.

Check out FAFSA: What You Need to Know for more information on this resource.

Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who display a financial need and have not already earned a degree.

And get this, even if you’re using the GI Bill, or receiving Tuition Assistance, you can still apply for FAFSA!  

Don’t worry about the loans, though. You can decline them once your aid eligibility is reported to your school.

Check out the following resources for more information:

Veterans Scholarships from Colleges and Universities

It’s not just the federal government and Fortune 500 companies that offer scholarships for veterans. Many universities award their veteran students with financial and academic benefits as well.

Some of these scholarships are awarded for students in specific degree programs at specific institutions. Others are awarded for academic excellence.

Check out the regional scholarships CollegeRecon has broken down for you:

Also, be sure to check out scholarships from your local community college. They are an often overlooked resource for accelerating your education.

College Grants for Veterans

Grants are monetary awards given for a specific purpose that do not need repayment. They are the antithesis of loans and are abundant for education.

We’ve already mentioned the Pell Grant, which can only be received by filling out the FAFSA Application. While not specific to veterans, it is the most widely received grant in today’s education system.

The Pell Grant does not need to be repaid, and the amount you receive depends on your financial need, the costs of school, and whether or not you’re a full- or part-time student.

The GI Bill, either MGIB or Post-9/11, tap dances on the line between earned benefits and education grants. It certainly is a benefit that all veterans deserve, and in most cases, it does not need repayment.

However, unlike grants and scholarships, The GI Bill is almost guaranteed for all veteran degree seekers. (There are minimum discharge requirements that must be met.)

For more information about the GI Bill, check out the following resources:

Scholarships for Military Spouses

There has been a paradigm shift in society’s perception of the Military Spouse. This occurred in large part due to the OEF/OIF campaigns, but also as a result of social media’s ability to instantly raise awareness to issues faced by the military family.

As a result, more and more scholarships are available to military spouses and dependents than at any other time in our nation’s history. The family has always been the backbone of the service members who defend our freedoms.

In our flagship article, Military Spouse Scholarships, CollegeRecon presents 15 of the best scholarships and grants available to military spouses. 

Additionally, we’ve explored College Scholarships and Grants for Children of Veterans, which highlights 14 funding opportunities for military dependents.

Check out the following resources for more information:

Grants and Scholarships for Active-Duty Service Members

For those active service members, there are unique scholarship and grant opportunities for you!

Each service has a Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) that awards military scholarships to active, Guard, and reserve service members. There are over 1100 institutions of higher learning that participate in one or more ROTC programs, and most offer 2-, 3-, and 4-year options.

Read the Army ROTC Scholarships, Colleges & Requirements article for more information about the Army’s program.

The Navy ROTC program covers both the Navy and Marine Corps.

Likewise, the Space Force will likely fall under the Air Force ROTC program for their education and commissioning needs. More to follow on that topic.

Another education program available to active Army Soldiers is the Green to Gold program. This is a two-year program that provides Soldiers the opportunity to complete a baccalaureate degree or a two-year graduate degree. This program leads to a commission as an Army officer.

Similar to the Army’s program, the Air Force hosts The Enlisted-to-Officer Path. This program gives Airmen the opportunity to earn their degrees and a commission in the Air Force.

Finally, Tuition Assistance (TA) is a program that provides education funding to military service members while they are still serving. Tuition Assistance can cover up to 100% of the cost-per-credit hour of many institutions.

Check out the following resources for more information:

Scholarships for Women Veterans

For those women veterans, there are some great programs and scholarships that will help fund your education.

Whether you’re going into STEM, Nursing, or Business, we’ve brought together some of the best scholarship opportunities for you.

First, read Top 8 Scholarships for Female Service Members & Veterans to discover the very best ones out there. Then, check out these other resources:

Scholarships for Disabled Veterans

As with other demographics, there are ample opportunities for our disabled veterans to obtain funding for their education.

Whether it’s finding money for a current degree, or paying off student loans from a previous one, check out some of these great resources.

Military Scholarships: Scholarships by Military Branch

Each military service offers programs for their members to help achieve career and education goals. We’ve touched on the ROTC programs and other commissioning programs. But what about programs that do not require a commission?

We’ve compiled a list of service-specific programs, some of which are simply scholarships for service members within those branches. Some of these scholarships apply for active military, veterans, and even family members.

Featured Scholarships

There are so many great programs out there for the military community. CollegeRecon wants you to have all the information available to help you on your way.

For this reason, here are some scholarship opportunities that have not yet been covered:


There are millions of veterans today, and so many of you are pursuing your education goals. Because many situations are unique, it’s hard to answer every question in one article.

However, we have compiled some of the most asked questions and presented them here:

More Resources on Scholarships for Veterans

Were you looking for scholarships based on a career field? If so, CollegeRecon has numerous resources for some of the hottest job fields, and probably some you haven’t even considered!

If you don’t see what you’re looking for there, check out our page Paying For School, which has even more leads on military scholarships.

CollegeRecon also has one of the coolest Scholarship Finder Tools out there! By answering a few simple questions, you will get results tailored to your goals and aspirations.

Do you know what you want to study, but not where to go? Use CollegeRecon’s School Finder Tool to find schools and programs tailored to your needs.

Finally, if you are eligible for any form of GI Bill, please do not miss our GI Bill Education Information and Benefits page. 


Find College Scholarships for Military, Veterans, Spouses & Dependents


There has never been a better time than now to get that degree. Whether you’re just starting, in the middle, or nearing the end, there are so many sources of funding available to you.

You deserve the education you want, so let CollegeRecon help you find military scholarships, or scholarships for veterans, that will fund your education and career goals.

Don’t wait for your future to happen. Make it what you want!

(Image courtesy of SSgt. Joshua Chacon, U.S. Marine Corps, via





Post 911 GI Bill Changes – Transferring Benefits to Spouse & Dependents

If you as a service member can receive the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you might be able to transfer all or part of the bill to your spouse or your children, or both.

In July, the DOD announced that there would be changes with who can transfer their Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Here is what you need to know.

What is the change to the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The ability to be able to transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits will be limited to service members that have less than 16 years of total active-duty or selected reserve service.

Before this change, there were no restrictions on when a service member could transfer educational benefits to their family members.

When does the change go into effect?

July 12, 2019, one year after the announcement.

If you are at 16 years or close to hitting that, now is the time to make a decision about if or who you will transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill to.

What are the rest of the qualifications to be able to transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill?

  • All service members, in all branches, including the Coast Guard, the US Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
  • The service member needs to have at least 6 years of service as an active member of the armed forces on the date of approval.
  • The service member must agree to serve an additional 4 years in the armed forces from the date of election.
  • The service member must have at least 10 years of service in the armed forces on the date of approval, is precluded by either the standard policy or the statute from committing to four additional years, and agree to serve for the maximum amount of time that is allowed by the policy or the statute.
  • Th requests for transfer are needed to be submitted and approved while the service member is still serving in the armed forces.
  • If a service member can’t fulfill 4 years because of a “force shaping” or other involuntary separation, the service member would retain the eligibility to transfer education benefits.

What Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits can be transferred?

  • The service member can transfer all or some of their unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children.
  • The GI Bill can be transferred to the spouse, one or more of the children, or a combination of spouse and child.
  • The family member must be registered in DEERS and be eligible for benefits.

What else is there to know about transferring your Post 9/11 GI Bill?

  • The DOD will determine whether or not the service member can transfer their GI Bill.
  • Once the DOD approves, whoever the service member transferred their GI Bill to can apply at the VA.
  • The service member will need to use the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) to designate, modify or revoke a Transfer of Entitlement Request (TOE).
  • After leaving the armed forces, the service member can provide a future effective date for the use of the TOE, modify the number of months transferred, or revoke entitlement transferred by submitting a written request to the VA.
  • After approval, the family member needs to apply to use the benefits with the VA by applying online or by printing, completing and mailing the VA Form 22-1990e to their VA Regional processing office of jurisdiction.
  • If a child of a service member gets married, they will still be eligible for the benefits, however, the service member does retain the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.
  • If a spouse gets divorced from the service member, that will also not affect the benefit, but the service member retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time.

Are there any specific rules family members have to follow when the GI Bill gets transferred to them?


  • Can use the benefit immediately.
  • May use the benefit while the member remains in the armed forces, or after they separate from active duty.
  • Are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance if their service member is on active duty.
  • If their service member’s last discharge was before January 1, 2013, you have up to 15 years after their last separation from active duty. If their last discharge was after January 1st, 2013, there is no time limit for those benefits.


  • Can only use the benefit after the service member has completed ten years of service in the armed forces.
  • May use the benefit while the service member is in the armed forces or after separation from the army.
  • Can’t use the benefit until they have received a secondary school diploma or equivalent, or they have reached the age of 18.
  • Are entitled to the monthly housing allowance stipend even though the eligible individual is on active duty.
  • Are not subject to the 15-year date, but they can’t use the benefit after they turn 26 years of age.

As you can see, transferring your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit can be a great way to help your spouse or your child go to school.

If you are close to that 16 years, make plans to get your bill transferred soon, so you don’t miss out on this benefit once the terms change in 2019.





Post-9/11 GI Bill: The Ultimate Overview

There are several different versions of the GI Bill, but here we are discussing the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  About 80% of all users of the GI Bill utilize this version. To be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you must have active military service on or after September 11, 2001.

Post-9/11 GI Bill: All the Ways You Can Use It

  • College Degrees – Associate, Bachelor, or higher
  • Vocational/Technical Training, including non-college programs
  • On-the-Job/Apprenticeship Programs
  • Licensing & Certification Reimbursement
  • National Testing Programs like SAT, CLEP, AP, DSST
  • Flight Training
  • Correspondence Training
  • Work-study
  • Tuition Assistance Top-Up
  • Tutorial Assistance

Going to College or University

Sure, you can use your GI Bill to go to college; everybody knows that.  Did you know that you can use your GI Bill to get an associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, or higher?  If you have one degree, you can use your GI Bill to get another one.

If you are a bit rusty on your academic skills after being in the military, you can use your GI Bill for refresher training.

You can use your GI Bill at community colleges, state colleges, private colleges, online colleges, foreign colleges, and more.

What Costs Does the Post-9/11 GI Bill Cover?

    • Up to 100% Tuition and Fee Coverage
    • Monthly Housing Allowance (see GI Bill BAH Rates)
    • Up to $1,000 a year for Books and Supplies
    • Ability to Transfer GI Bill to spouse and dependents

Housing Allowance

If you go to a state school, the VA will pay all your tuition & fees for necessary classes. You will also be provided a monthly housing allowance.

    • The GI Bill BAH Rate is equivalent to the Basic Allowance for Housing rate that an E-5 with dependents would receive.
    • Your housing allowance rate is based on the ZIP code of the school you are attending.
    • You are not eligible for a housing allowance if you are on active duty.
    • The GI Bill pays you up to $1,000 each year for your books.

There are a few differences if you attend a private or foreign school. Your tuition reimbursement is limited to a legislatively mandated maximum amount that changes yearly.  The Post 911 GI Bill will currently pay up to a maximum of $26,381.37  for the 2022-2023 school year for private or foreign colleges. This is up from $25,162.14 for the 2020-2021 school year and $24,476.79 for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Yellow Ribbon Schools

Schools participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program have partnered with the VA to help offset the costs not covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  Here is a list of participating Yellow Ribbon Schools.

If you attend a foreign school, your housing allowance is based on the national average US housing allowance.

One more thing, if you are going strictly to online classes – no classroom sessions – your housing allowance is ½ the national average.

The current MHA or Post 9/11 GI Bill BAH rate for online schools is $988.00 for the 2022-2023 academic year (Aug 1, 2022 – Jul 31, 2023).

If you attend school as a less than full-time student, you only get a percentage of your GI Bill. So, if you only attend classes as a half-time student, you get half of the housing allowance, etc.

Still not enough? If you served less than 3 years of active duty, your payment will be reduced too. But this doesn’t affect most people.


>> Use CollegeRecon’s Program Matcher to find GI Bill®-Approved Schools.  This tool will take your Education Goals and find schools with matching programs.  


Most people think the GI Bill means college and nothing else. Well, we are here to tell you that yes indeed, the GI Bill does pay for college, but it also pays for so much more.

Vocational/Technical School

Want to learn a trade or sharpen your technical skills?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will help you. If you want to go to a technical or trade school to learn:

  • Radiology Technician
  • Computer Networking
  • Cake Decorating
  • Law Enforcement
  • Dental Hygiene
  • And many more…

The GI Bill will basically pay you the same amount as if you were going to college.

Testing Programs – SAT, LSAT, GMAT, LCAT

Need to take a test to get into college like the SAT, LSAT, GMAT, or LCAT? Want to take a test for college credit like the CLEP, DSST, or AP test?

RELATED: Colleges With GMAT Waivers For Military

The GI Bill will pay you up to $2,000 for each test. There’s no limit to the number of tests you can take, and it doesn’t matter if you pass or not. You can even retake tests you passed if the test is required to recertify or keep a license you need for work.

Certification & Licensing Programs

Looking to get a certification or license for a profession such as:

  • Realtor
  • Mechanic
  • Medical Technician
  • Therapist
  • Computer Network Engineer
  • Website Developer
  • Project Manager
  • Other professionals

The GI Bill has that covered and your tests may be reimbursable by the VA.  There is no limit to the number of tests you can take, or number of times you may take the same test. And, VA will pay for tests even if you fail them.

The VA will pay you up to $2,000 per test.

On-The-Job and Apprenticeship Training

Want to become a master of skilled trades or professions like union plumber, firefighter, steamfitter, electrician, or gunsmith?

The GI Bill will pay for approved apprenticeship or on-the-job training programs that allow you to get paid your GI Bill money while you draw a paycheck.

The payment process for these programs works a bit differently than other GI Bill programs.

When you are in an apprenticeship program you draw a salary. Usually, you start out with a very low rate of pay and get raises every six months while you are in training. Depending on your job, an apprenticeship can last 18-36 months until you reach fully qualified or journeyman status.

To offset this, the GI Bill payments are as follows:

  • 1st 6 months of training – 100% of your applicable housing allowance
  • 2nd 6 months you get 80% of your applicable housing allowance, but you get a raise from your employer
  • 3rd 6 months you get 60% of your applicable housing allowance, but you get another raise from your employer
  • 4th 6 months you will receive 40% of your applicable housing allowance, but you will get another raise from your employer
  • For the remainder of your training, you will get 20% of your applicable housing allowance

You also get up to $83 per month for books and supplies.

Flight Training

If you flew planes in the military, you might like to do that after you get out. The problem is that to fly commercial aircraft, you usually need platform-specific qualifications. These qualifications can be very expensive; for example, a B787 rating can cost you upwards of $30,000, depending on your current certification. The GI Bill will help you pay for those expensive classes.

To get a flight rating, you usually need classroom, simulator, and flight hours, this can vary. For example, if you’ve already qualified on the MH60 or UH60 helicopter, you may not need as many sim, flying, or classroom hours as somebody who has never flown one.

To get any GI Bill payments, you need to be in possession of a private pilot’s license and an FAA medical certification.

Flight School Payment Amounts

Payment amounts vary depending on what type of school you are going to.

If you are enrolled in a:

Degree program that consists of flight training at a state college

You can basically expect to get your full cost paid for by the GI Bill, a monthly housing allowance and a stipend for books-and-supplies. However, this is very rare as there aren’t a lot of state colleges offering flight training.

Degree program that consists of flight training at a private college

You can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the legislatively mandated national maximum amount (whichever is less) each year. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend.

Vocational flight training program

You can be reimbursed the cost of the training up to the annual maximum amount which is mandated by law. Currently, that annual maximum amount is $$15,075.05 in 2023, up from about $14,880.

Tuition Assistance Top-Up

If you’re on active duty, you may use Tuition Assistance. Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard.

While Tuition Assistance technically can pay the full cost of your college tuition, in reality, most branches will normally pay a maximum of 75% of the actual tuition. You must pay for your books and other expenses out-of-pocket.

This is where Tuition Assistance Top-Up comes in. The Tuition Assistance Top-Up program will pay you your GI Bill to make up the difference between what Tuition Assistance pays and what your actual charges are.

Tuition Assistance Top-Up can be a good or a bad use of your GI Bill. Normally, it isn’t a good one and not one we’d recommend.

Using Tuition Assistance Top-Up is a good deal if you plan to use Tuition Assistance to complete a degree while on active duty, and don’t plan to continue your education after service.

Tuition Assistance Top-Up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with Tuition Assistance while on active duty. Then you can save most of your GI Bill to use after you get out of the military to complete your education in a military friendly college.

You need to consider carefully your own situations, and check with your education officer or counselor, before applying for Tuition Assistance Top-Up.

Tutorial Assistance

OK, you’re going to college and having a hard time of it, in fact, you may be close to failing your classes, don’t despair. The GI Bill will even pay you to hire a tutor to help you get back on track with your classes.

The VA will pay you up to $100 a month for a private tutor, up to a maximum amount of $1,200. The tutor must meet the college’s qualifications and can’t be a close relative.

So, as you can see if you are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill you have lots of different options on how you can use it. The GI Bill is a great benefit that most people don’t get, make sure you use it.


NEXT STEP: How to Get Your Post-911 GI Bill Benefits





Gold Star Family Scholarships Resources

Scholarships and Education Benefits for Gold Star Families

While there are many scholarships intended for veterans, there are also scholarships and military education benefits specifically for Gold Star Families to assist those surviving family members.

There are no words we can say to express our gratitude to those who have lost a loved one during service to our country. They have gone through something so unimaginable.

Those same family members may wish to further their educational goals whether it is a young widow wanting to go back to school, or a child of a fallen service member getting ready to start her freshman year of college.

List of Gold Star Families Scholarships

Scholarships for Gold Star Families to assist surviving family members.

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Details: This program is for children and spouses of those who:

  • have died or who have been permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service connected disability during active service in the military
  • have died from any cause while having a permanent and total service connected disability

or children and spouses of a service member who:

  • has been MIA or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force
  • was forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power
  • is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and will likely be discharged because of it

Please keep in mind that any children who qualify for this should be between 18 and 26 years old.  Exceptions can be made.

For spouses of those killed during active duty, the benefits will be good until 20 years after the date of death.

The benefits can be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, as well as on the job training. If you are a spouse you can also use the benefits for correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency and refresher courses may also be approved.

You should be able to receive up to 45 months of educational benefits if you began your program before August 1, 2018. If you started on or after August 1, 2018, you have 36 months to use your benefits. You might be able to use up to 81 months of benefits if you use this program with an entitlement from other VA education programs.

Website: link

Folded Flag Foundation

Details: This scholarship is for a spouse or a child under 26 years old of a member of the military who died as a result of hostile action or in an accident related to US combat operations. Family members of employees of the US government who died as a result of the same thing also quality.

Through The Children’s Education Scholarship, children of the fallen, from K-12, can receive a scholarship and educational grants to cover private school tuition and fees, tutoring, after-school programs, summer camps, and other expenses.

College-bound spouses and children can receive the College or Technical/Trade school scholarship. This will cover tuition and fees, books, computers, and living expenses including childcare, tutoring, test preparation services, and career preparation expenses.

Deadline: Applications for the 2023-2024 school year are due in May 2023.

Website: link

America’s Gold Star Families Scholarship

Details: $1,000 in scholarships to family members who have lost a loved one in service to our country. They can be used at a college or university, junior college, or a trade or vocational school.

Deadline: The application is due September 15th of each year.

Website: link

Captain Matthew C. Freeman USMC Memorial Sibling Scholarship

Details: This scholarship is open to siblings of a fallen military member who was killed while deployed to a combat zone. They also must be entering or attending an accredited university or college. They will need to write an essay describing the relationship with their sibling and how his/her death affected them.

Website: link

Folds of Honor

Details: The Higher Education Scholarship is for spouses and dependents of service members who have been KIA, lost a limb, died while on active duty, or who have been classified as having a service connected evaluation, rated by the VA.

You must be:

  • enrolled or planning to be enrolled in an undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree
  • attending an accredited college or university
  • enrolled in an accredited technical or trade school program that results in a certificate or diploma, as long as you don’t already have a bachelor’s degree

The award will be used to subsidize the costs of tuition, school books, fees, on-campus room and board, and approved education and tutoring as well as other expenses.

This award is based on “unmet need” and can be valued up to $5,000. If a student is going to school on a part-time basis, they would only receive up to $2,500.

There is also a Children’s Fund Scholarship to help provide support for dependents ages K-12 for approved and accredited private school tuition, educational tutoring, required books, and school uniforms.

Deadline: The deadline for the 2023-2024 scholarship application is in March.

Website: link

Fisher House – Heroes’ Legacy Scholarship

Details: This scholarship is for unmarried dependent children under the age of 23 who has a parent who has fallen in battle or who has died or become disabled through active military service after September 11, 2001. The amount of the award depends on the year.

This fund was established by President Barack Obama after publishing his book, “Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters.” He donates his after-tax proceeds to the Fisher House Foundation to establish a fund for children of the fallen or disabled.

This scholarship will pay for qualified expenses which include tuition, fees, lab fees, books, and other degree-related costs.

Deadline: Applications for 2024 will should open on December 15th, 2023.

Website: link

Special Operations Warrior Foundation

Details: This scholarship offers full financial assistance for post-secondary scholarships for every child who loses a parent serving in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps special operations. The award is for the full cost of a public college education which includes tuition, fees, room and board, books, tutoring, computers, printers, and supplies.

The award can be used at private universities, state colleges, community colleges, vocational and technical training as well as career institutions. Applications are processed all year long.

Website: link

The Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund

Details: This scholarship is available for children of military members who have been killed or permanently disabled in an operational mission or training accident. They must be a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Guardsman, or Marine. Children of POWs and those who have gone MIA are also eligible.

You must be a senior in high school, a high school graduate or currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program. You also must be under the age of 26 at the time of application.

This award is good for tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, meal plans, transportation expenses, off-campus rent, and other expenses that come with the cost of education.

The amount given depends on the student’s needs.

Website: link

Military Order of the Purple Heart

Details: In order to apply for this scholarship you will need to be the spouse or a direct lineal descendant of a Purple Heart Recipient or a service member who was Killed in Action or died of their wounds. Children, step-children, adopted children, grandchildren, and step-grandchild all qualify for a direct lineal descendant.

You will also need to be a graduate or an upcoming graduate of a high school or GED program. You need to be full-time enrolled or accepted to an accredited US college, university, or trade school. Graduate students, as well as those seeking an additional undergraduate degree, do not qualify.

The award can be used for tuition, books, incidental fees, room and board, and other direct costs.

Deadline: Applications are due in July for the 2023-2024 school year.

Website: link

The Remembrance Scholarship Fund

Details: The Remembrance Scholarship Fund is from Gold Star Peak, Inc, and is for family members and veterans of the US Armed Forces. They need to be a Gold Star family member or veterans of the US Military.

They must be enrolled or accepted in an accredited institution of higher learning or a recognized vocational school. The award can be used for tuition, registration fees, textbooks if purchased at the institution, on-campus housing, and on-campus meal plans.

Deadline: May 2023 for the 2023-2024 school year.

Website: link

NewDay USA Gold Star Scholarships

Details: This scholarship is for candidates desiring to attend select military high schools. The award is to help assist young men and women in their pursuit of academic success and character development, as well as preparing them to be leaders.

The award can be up to $15,000 in tuition assistance for students attending these schools:

  • Admiral Farragut Academy – St. Petersburg, Florida
  • Army and Navy Academy – Carlsbad, California
  • Camden Military Academy – Camden, South Carolina
  • Fork Union Military Academy – Fork Union, Virginia
  • Georgia Military College – Milledgeville, Georgia
  • Hargrave Military Academy – Chatham, Virginia
  • Southern Prep Academy – Camp Hill, Alabama
  • Marine Military Academy – Harlingen, Texas
  • Missouri Military Academy – Mexico, Missouri
  • New Mexico Military Institute – Roswell, New Mexico
  • New York Military Academy – Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York
  • Oak Ridge Military Academy – Oak Ridge, North Carolina
  • Riverside Military Academy – Gainesville, Georgia
  • St. Catherine’s Academy – Anaheim, California
  • St. John’s Military School – Salina, Kansas
  • St. John’s Northwestern Military Academy – Delafield, Wisconsin
  • Saint Thomas Academy – Mendota Heights, Minnesota
  • Valley Forge Military Academy – Wayne, Pennsylvania

List updated as of April 2023. 

Participating schools will match this award and families are expected to contribute as they are able. The student’s parent or legal guardian must be a fallen US Armed Forces service member killed on active duty or a US veteran who has died due to their combat-related service or a member of the Armed Forces who has been seriously and completely disabled in combat. They must apply to and be accepted by the school to which they are applying. The financial circumstances of the applicant’s family may be considered.

Website: link


When looking to apply for any of these scholarships, please remember to double-check that you qualify. Also, remember to triple-check application dates. Some are the same every year, and others change depending on the year.


RELATED: How To Apply For Scholarships

Find scholarships for military, veterans, and their families


Scholarships for the Military Community



Exit mobile version