Student Travel Benefits For Military Dependents
Dependent Travel Benefits For Military Dependents and Their Parents
You are stationed in Germany but your son goes to college in Florida. Christmas is coming, and you want them home with you for winter break. The cost of plane tickets to Europe seems so high. Did you know that there is a student travel benefit for your college-age son or daughter you can use to help? Find out everything you need to know about the military dependent travel benefit.
The government will pay for one round-trip ticket each fiscal year for college students.
What Are the Military Dependent Travel Benefits?
The government will pay for one round-trip ticket each fiscal year for college students. You do have to qualify for this travel benefit.
How Do I Qualify for Military Dependent Travel Benefits?
In order to qualify, the following must apply:
The military parent must be:
- On an accompanied tour in an OCONUS location with the rest of their family. Alaska and Hawaii do not count in this case. They will then be sponsored by the command.
- The custodial parent of the student.
The student must be:
- Unmarried and under the age of 23, although there could be some exceptions to this rule.
- Attending an accredited college or school and working towards an undergraduate degree, or a postsecondary vocational or technical training. Service academies, however, do not count for this.
- Enrolled in school full-time, which is 12 credit hours or more.
- Student must have already traveled to the parent’s home on PCS orders. If parents move overseas while the student is in college, their first trip over there would count as flying over on PCS orders. They could then use the travel benefit once a year after that.
- You can use this benefit once every fiscal year and it does not have to be used during the holidays or summer vacation, although that is probably most likely when you would use it.
- The travel benefit must be authorized through the military parent’s command and be completed through the travel office.
If you are overseas and have a college student back in the US going to college, make sure to take advantage of this travel benefit.
- The Best Dorm Room Shopping Tips For Parents
- States Offering Free College To Veterans And Dependents
- In-State Tuition For Your Military Child
- Tips for Military Families to Save Money on Travel
- College Scholarships For Military Dependent Children
- Best Back To School Discounts For Military Families
These Travel Discount articles appear at our sister site, MyMilitaryBenefits.com.
- Military Discounts on Flights
- Military Discounts On Your Favorite Hotels
- Car Rental Military Discounts To Use On Your Next Vacation
- Best Military Discounts For Summer Travel
- Space A Travel: Everything You Need To Know