Home  »  Military and Veteran Scholarships   »   HPSP Scholarship: Health Professions Scholarship Program

HPSP Scholarship: Health Professions Scholarship Program


If you are interested in the medical field, going through the military to earn your degree and start your career can be a good idea. There are different ways you can do so too. A couple of options are to use the HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program) to go to the school of your choice or to attend school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.

What is HPSP, the Health Professions Scholarship Program?

The branches each have their own Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP).

  • Army HPSP
  • Air Force HPSP
  • Navy HPSP

NOTE: The Marine Corps doesn’t have a program since they receive all of their medical services through the Navy.

Use the HPSP to pursue a profession in:

  • Medical/Osteopathy
  • Dentistry
  • Veterinary medicine
  • qualifying Special Nurse
  • Counseling/Clinical Psychology
  • Optometry

The HPSP was created via the Uniformed Services Health Professions Revitalization Act of 1972.

What are the benefits of using the HPSP?

Qualifying applicants may receive:

  • Free tuition for up to 4 years
  • Funding for books, equipment, and other fees
  • A $2,200 monthly stipend
  • A $20,000 sign-on bonus
  • Officer pay, even during school breaks
  • Monthly allowance for food and housing
  • Salary increases with promotions, time in service, and cost of living adjustments

What are the requirements for the HPSP?

You must:

  • Be a US citizen
  • Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited school or be pursuing one
  • Be enrolled or have an acceptance letter for an accredited graduate program in medical/osteopathy, dental, veterinary, specialty nursing, counseling/clinical psychology, or optometry
  • Be enrolled at full-time status
  • Qualify as a commissioned officer

What are my service requirements during my school?

Students are placed on inactive reserve status during medical training. As inactive reserve officers, students are required to serve 45 days of active duty training (ADT) each fiscal year.

Your duty may include officer basic courses or clinical training at your school for the first two years. For the 3rd and 4th year, students may be required to take elective clinical rotations at a military hospital.

What about after graduation?

After graduation, Army and Air Force service members may be promoted to the rank of Captain, and Navy service members may be promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.

The incurred service obligation is usually a one-for-one for every service-paid year of schooling with a minimum of two years for physicians and three years for other specialties. There could be additional time for certain postgraduate programs.

If you are interested in the Health Professions Scholarship Program, talk to a recruiter from the military service branch of your choice.

The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences

The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences is located in Bethesda, MD, near the grounds of the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

There are four colleges at this university. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine, the Daniel K. Inouye Graduate School of Nursing, the Postdoctoral Dental College, and the College of Allied Health Sciences.

What is the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences?

The university educates and prepares graduates for service in the US in the medical corps, both at home and abroad. The university was established by Congress in 1972 and has graduated more than 5,000 physicians since it opened in 1976.

What are the benefits of going to this university?

Students attending USU enter the university as commissioned officers in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or the Public Health Service. No prior service is required to attend USU.

Students pay no tuition or fees and receive a full salary and the benefits of a uniformed officer throughout their four years at the university in exchange for a seven-year, active duty commitment. PHS (Public Health Services) graduates have a 10-year active duty commitment.

The benefits also include free medical care for students and eligible family members, a housing allowance, and 30 days paid leave annually. Books and lab equipment are also no charge to the student.

If you would like to apply to USU, you would do so through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS.)

You should think about what you want to do when it comes to going to college, where you want to go, and then decide if it would be best for you to use the Health Professions Scholarship or if it would be best to attend the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Either choice can be an excellent way to achieve your career in the medical field.







About the author

Julie Provost is a freelance writer, and blogger. She lives in Tennessee with her National Guard husband and three boys.