Home  »  Getting Your Degree   »   Army Green To Gold Program – Active Duty Option (ADO)

Army Green To Gold Program – Active Duty Option (ADO)

Army Green to Gold Program

For those that have joined the Army as an enlisted soldier, there is an option to go to college and become an officer through the Army’s Green to Gold Program. Here is what you need to know about the program:

What Is the Army’s Green to Gold Program?

There are a couple of different options and the remainder of this article will be talking about the Green to Gold Active Duty Option. You can also choose the Green to Gold scholarship option or the Green to Gold non-scholarship option.

The Green to Gold Active Duty Option (ADO) is a two-year program for eligible active duty enlisted soldiers who can go on to earn a baccalaureate degree or a two-year graduate degree and then can earn an army officer commission.

What are the benefits of the Green to Gold program?

There are quite a few benefits of the Army’s Green to Gold program.  You will:

  • Continue to receive your current pay and allowances while you are in the program.
  • Can use the Montgomery GI Bill or the Post-9/11 GI Bill as well as the Army College Fund for educational expenses.
  • Receive normal PCS entitlements.
  • Receive leadership training.
  • Gain responsibility and practical experience.
  • Mentorship of the PMS/APMS (Professor of Military Science.)
  • And of course, camaraderie.

What are the Green to Gold ADO requirements?

To be in the Army’s Green to Gold Active Duty program, you will need to be identified by your chain of command. Here are the other requirements.  You must:

  • Be a US Citizen
  • Be under the age of 30 as of the date of your projected graduation and commission. You can receive a waiver for this.
  • Have not been convicted of domestic violence
  • Have a minimum of 2 years of active duty at the time of the application. You also need to have at least 3 months of active duty for every one month of specialized training. You can receive a waiver for this.
  • Receive a GI score of 110 or more.
  • Pass the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) within the last 6 months with a score of at least 180, with a minimum of 60 points in each event.
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
  • Receive a letter of acceptance to your school of choice that offers an Army ROTC program.
  • Receive a letter of acceptance from the PMS of that Army ROTC battalion.
  • Have a favorable national agency check or have initiated it.
  • Have a DODMERB (Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board) medical qualification.
  • Be eligible to reenlist in the military.
  • Not be a conscientious objector.
  • Have more than three dependents including your spouse. You can receive a waiver for this.

What would make me ineligible for the Green to Gold program?

There are a few things that would make you ineligible for the Army’s Green to Gold Active Duty Option program.  You may be ineligible if you:

  • Need more than 4 semesters or 6 quarters as a full-time student to earn your degree. Course overload as well as less than full-time status is not allowed.
  • Have an unfavorable recommendation from your chain of command.
  • Are under suspension of favorable personnel action (FLAGS) IAW AR 600-8-2.
  • Have 10 years or more of active federal service at time of commissioning. You can receive a waiver for this.
  • Are on probation for a civil conviction or charges are pending during the time of your application.
  • Have ever had any adverse juvenile adjudication, or have been arrested, indicted, or convicted by a civil court or military law for something other than minor traffic violations, or had imposed other adverse disposition, unless you receive a waiver. If you did receive a waiver for enlisting in the Army, you would need to get another one to become an officer.
  • Are not married and have one or more dependents under the age of 18. You can receive a waiver for this.

There are also rules for divorced and single parents. In some cases, you can get a waiver for these.

If both you and your spouse are in the military, you can not join the program as a team if you have any dependents under the age of 18. No waiver will be authorized in those cases.

How do I start the program?

You will need to start the application process online and can do so by going to the Army’s Green to Gold program webpage. Here is a list of what you need:

  • Filled out the CC Form 174-R which is the Green to Gold program application. Know that if you are selected for the program, you will not receive any ARMY ROTC scholarship funds.
  • Any waivers for civil convictions submitted as soon as you can.
  • A favorable recommendation from your immediate commander and field grade commander commenting on your officer-like qualifications.
  • An updated copy of the ERB showing your citizenship.
  • Medical examination DD forms 2351 and 2492.
  • All of your official transcripts from all the colleges you have attended in the past.
  • Letter of acceptance from the Professor of Military Science which verifies your acceptance to the university, your acceptance into the ROTC program, and your academic status.
  • CC Form 104-R which is a Planned Academic Program Worksheet. This is completed by the university’s department head, verified and signed by both you and the school’s registrar’s office.
  • Evaluation of Transfer of Credit if you will be attending a college or university that is different from the one you have already been attending.
  • All of your waivers and/or waiver requests if needed.
  • Notify your respective MOS branch manager at HRC-Fort Knox if you receive assignment instructions during the timeframe that you are applying.
  • Submit your DA Form 2166-8, your NCO Evaluation Reports.
  • Apply no later than November 26th of the award year. Your company commander should be notified of your final status by April 15th of the following year.

What else should I know about the Green to Gold Program?

  • Your files are presented before a board of officers for selection at Headquarters, Cadet Command. The board is looking for traits that the Army desires in its officers which include scholastic aptitude, physical fitness, and leadership potential.
  • You will need to complete your academic program within 21 months.  You may be able to extend that to 24 months under certain circumstances.
  • In addition to your normal studies, you will also need to complete the prescribed military science courses, professional military education subjects, the cadet leadership course (CLC,) and any other training that may be prescribed by the Secretary of the Army as a requirement for commission.
  • After you are commissioned, you will need to go to active duty. You will not be allowed to do reserve duty or take an educational delay.

As you can see, this program can be the right one for you. The Army’s Green to Gold program can further your education and your career, and help you achieve your goals.

You can find more detailed information as well as any updated information about the Army’s Green to Gold programs on their website.