Veterans: Enroll & Launch Your Education Adventure
Now it’s time to enroll and launch your education adventure. It is important to note that the enrollment process, procedures, and requirements differ from school to school.
You may find that some schools require minimum scores on the SAT or ACT assessment exams. While others may waive these requirements for adult learners like veterans. In addition, some schools may require you to take placement exams to determine if you need remedial courses.
I’m Enrolled, What’s Next?
It is during the enrollment stage that you will need to submit your Joint Services Transcript (JST) and in some cases you may be asked for your high school transcripts. Learn more about gathering and submitting transcripts.
Here are some resources to help you navigate this final step:
- 6 Questions to Ask Your Admissions Counselor
- Managing Your Expectations for ACE Credits
- JST and CCAF Transcript
- Getting Credit for Military Experience
- Understanding CLEP Exams
- How DSST Exams Work
Your Pre-Launch checklist is now complete. The list was designed to ensure you have a firm footing as you prepare to start college. We have several resources and articles that can help you as you complete the enrollment phase.
List of Education Resources for Veteransy
Here is a quick list of resources to help you succeed in school:
- Learn more about going back to school – check out the College Recon Guide to Going to School.
- “There’s an App for that,” learn about the 13 Top Apps for College Students.
- Increasing your level of education can improve your job opportunities, earning power, and level of responsibility so Don’t Stop at an Associate’s Degree.
- Lab fees, text books, and college costs may exceed your GI Bill benefits, that is why applying for Military Scholarships can help you avoid out of pocket expenses.
- There are many ways to reduce the cost of text books, learn some of the top tricks for Saving Money on Textbooks and school supplies.
- Military discounts aren’t just for active duty. You can save hundreds by accessing Discounts for Student Veterans.
About the author
Terry Howell is a retired Coast Guard veteran, where he served for 20 years.
He is currently the Executive Director for Veterans' Legacies, a non-profit that works to preserve veterans personal stories to help educate our youth.
Terry is also the author of The Military Advantage, an annually updated guide to military and veteran benefits.