If you served in the infantry, you know that physical and mental strength and endurance along with being a team player are critical to getting the job done.  Falling short of the mark can result in the loss of life. These attributes will serve you well in your transition to the civilian workforce.  Here we list some jobs after the military for those who served as infantry.

Civilian Jobs After the Infantry

Many military jobs translate directly to civilian career fields, like health care, network security, and aviation. Although at first glance Infantry jobs seem limited to a handful of civilian jobs in law enforcement and truck driving, there are actually several options for transitioning infantrymen.

Let’s take a look at some of the options you might want to explore. First the obvious options:

Law Enforcement

Becoming a police officer after the infantry can be a good fit. There are several different types of police work that you could go into, such as:

  • Game Wardens
  • Corrections Officers
  • Customs and Border Patrol
  • Drug Enforcement (DEA)
  • Marshals
  • FBI
  • The Secret Service.

Let’s examine some of the Law Enforcement jobs that traditionally have the most opportunities.

>> Find opportunities with companies looking to hire veterans.  Get started today!

Police Officer

To become a police officer you probably just need a high school diploma. There will be training involved, but that is usually done through the police academy. This means that you could start the road to becoming a police officer soon after you get out of the military.

Your military service can help you find a job as well as prepare you for the day to day of a police officer. As an infantryman, you will already be familiar with firearms as well as having the mental and physical strength for a law enforcement job. Even some of the skills you picked up during deployments can help.

Even though you might need a high school diploma to start, having more education wouldn’t be a bad thing. Using your GI Bill or other VA funding you could go to a local community college to take law enforcement classes, receive a certificate, or even go for your Associate degree. See what is in your local area and what might be possible for you to do before you start your career as a police officer. Having that extra education can only help you in your future career.

According to Salary.com, the average salary of a police officer in April 2018 is $53,109.

NOTE: You can search for Criminal Justice degrees with CollegeRecon’s Search tool.  There are over 1,400 schools with Criminal Justice degrees at CollegeRecon.  Just go to Filters and search for Criminal Justice degrees under Degrees Offered.

Security Guard

A job as a security guard can also be the right option for a former infantryman. A security guard patrols and monitors buildings and locations to help stop and prevent theft or violence. They often times work with law enforcement, fire departments, and emergency medical personnel on a daily basis.

As a security guard, you can get hired by different types of employers. You can work for a large organization, businesses, colleges and universities, banks, museums, hospitals, nightclubs or even work personal security.

As a security guard, you would be able to use the skills that you have learned during your time in the military. Skills such as knowing how to patrol an area, being aware of what is going on around you, and using good judgment in potentially dangerous situations can go a long way in a security guard career.

Companies can look at your past military service and trust that they are getting someone who can do the job and take it seriously. There are licensing requirements based on your state, and you can take classes and receive a security guard certificate through some trade schools and community colleges. A security guard can also be a stepping stone into other similar careers.

According to Salary.com, the average salary of a security guard in April 2018 is $30,473.

>> Interested in a career in High Tech Sales?  See if you’re eligible for Free Training and Placement in a career as an Account Executive in High Tech.  No experience required.  Click here to get started.

Border Patrol Agent

If you are looking for a job after your time in the infantry that will be a good fit, you could look into working as a border patrol agent through the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

As an agent, you will be working to secure the international land border as well as the coastal waters. You would be safeguarding the borders and American people from:

  • Terrorists
  • Terrorist and illicit weapons
  • Drug smuggling
  • Those trying to gain Illegal entry into the country

As a border patrol agent, you can work in a variety of ways. You can work in areas such as:

  • Horse patrol
  • Bike patrol
  • K-9 units
  • Riverine operations
  • Off-road vehicle unit
  • Mobile response team
  • The Chaplaincy
  • A peer support program
  • The honor guard
Veterans Preference For U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

As a veteran of the military, you can also receive veterans preference. This is when they give qualified, eligible veterans an advantage over others when recruiting under competitive external procedures. If you are working for CBP, you will also be able to use your military service towards your retirement and leave accrual.

As a former infantryman, you can use your skills from your deployments and training to help you guard the borders and help protect the citizens of the United States.

In order to work for the CBP, you will most likely need a degree.  You may be able to use your GI Bill during On-the-Job training to receive a monthly housing allowance. This can make transitioning to this career possible and allow you to continue in a job that helps protect the citizens of your country.

Starting pay is about $52,583 with the ability to make a lot more as you move up in your career.

NOTE: You can search for Criminal Justice and Homeland Security degrees with CollegeRecon’s Search tool.  There are over 1,400 schools with Criminal Justice degrees and 128 with Homeland Security degrees at CollegeRecon.  Just go to Filters and search for Criminal Justice and/or Homeland Security degrees under Degrees Offered.

Consider Your Options

As you are ending your time in the infantry, think about what you might want to do after you ETS. These are just a few career fields that might work for you but don’t be afraid to go back to school and work towards something else.

With your GI Bill and other funding from the military, cost shouldn’t be an issue when it comes to going back to school to start another career after your time in the military is over.

About Infantry in the Military

This type of job requires a lot of strength and endurance. An Infantryman will need to be able to:

  • Perform well under stress
  • Be in good physical and mental shape
  • Work as a team member

They will also require a willingness to accept any challenges that come their way.  They are the main land combat force and have a different role than other jobs in the military.


Civilian Jobs “After the Military” For:

>> Find opportunities with companies looking to hire veterans.  Get started today!